Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 01-14-2012, 07:24 PM
matthughesfan21

Default UFC 142 discussion ***SPOILERS***

beginning at approximately 7:05 p.m. ET (4:05 p.m. PT) for the preliminary card and 10 p.m. ET for the main card.

First fight of the night will be on facebook according to ufc.com, all the other prelims will be on FX
Old 01-14-2012, 11:59 PM

Courtesty mmafighting.com

Felipe Arantes vs. Antonio Carvalho

The bearded Canadian Carvalho is the first man to make his way to the cage and he's hearing the boos. Carvalho speaks Portuguese, so he's also clearly understanding the chants of "You're going to die." Arantes enters with his trademark cowboy hat. Leon Roberts is the referee.

Round 1:
They trade kicks. Arantes finds himself on his back from either a Carvalho high kick or slip. Carvalho first works for control and passes to side control. Arantes turns into Carvalho to try to escape, but Carvalho slickly tries to take Arantes' back. Arantes escapes and Carvalho grabs the front headlock. Arantes digs in for the shot, but Carvalho stops it and claims full mount. But not for long as Arantes escapes and they're back on their feet. Arantes stays active with kicks. Meanwhile, Carvalho doesn't appear very comfortable on his feet. He does have a comfortable high kick he uses to keep Arantes thinking. Arantes attempts a jumping knee but Carvalho catches a leg. Arantes stays balances and frees his leg. Carvalho lands a body kick and the round ends.

Round 2:
They kickbox with few significant strikes landing. Carvalho lands a nice punch to the body. A jumping kick by Arantes is blocked, but the crowd loves it. Arantes moves in but neither man is able to do much in clinch and they separate. Arantes starts to find his mark, landing a number of punches. Arantes controls the rest of the round standing.

Round 3:
Light on his feet, Arantes continues to work a variety of kicks. Carvalho answers back with leg kicks. Carvalho shoots for a takedown but Arantes stuffs it turns Carvalho on his back. Carvalho works his rubberguard, but eventually switches back to closed guard. Arantes lands elbows and the energetic crowd roars. Carvalho is cut. More elbows. Carvalho eyes mission control again, but he's having difficulty making anythign happen. Arantes briefly passes, but Carvalho escapes and they're back on their feet. Nice right hand by Arantes.

Official Result: Felipe Arantes wins via unanimous decision (29-28 3x)

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 01-15-2012, 12:20 AM

Ricardo Funch vs. Mike Pyle

This welterweight bout kicks off the UFC's live debut on FX. Mario Yamasaki is the referee.

Round 1:
They feel each other out and clinch 30 seconds in. Pyle lands a number of leg kicks. Pyle cracks Funch with a straight right. With Funch stunned, Pyle lands a knee to floor Funch against the cage. Pyle finishes with punches.

The partisan crowd doesn't like it. Silence followed by boos.

Pyle wins via TKO - Round 1, 1:22

Old 01-15-2012, 12:21 AM
matthughesfan21

RICARDO FUNCH VS. MIKE PYLE (@mike_pyle)

Round 1 - Referee Mario Yamasaki oversees this welterweight contest. Pyle presses forward as Funch defends the opening punches. THe southpaw slips a punch and works into the clinch. The two trade knees before pulling away. Pyle looks very relaxed as the two trade in the pocket. Pyle lands a clean right hand up the middle. Knee scores on the chin, and Funch is hurt. Second one lands, and Funch hits the deck. Pyle pounces with punches, and that's the fight. Crowd is dead silent, so Pyle motions to bring the heat. They do, but Pyle could care less. Mike Pyle def. Ricardo Funch via TKO (knees and punches) - Round 1, 1:22.

I liked Pyle basically taunting the crowd...Although passionate, they can be quite disrespectful...Chanting "You're going to die" to the Americans at weigh ins is going over the line
Old 01-15-2012, 12:34 AM
matthughesfan21

Omigawa was saved by the bell, arm was dangerously close to breaking it looked like...Alcantara dominating the fight...halfway through round 2
Old 01-15-2012, 12:47 AM
matthughesfan21

YURI ALCANTARA VS. MICHIHIRO OMIGAWA (@micci1219judo)

Round 1 - Referee Leon Roberts in the cage for this featherweight bout. Touch of gloves in the center, and Omigawa walks into a knee in the body. He backs away and is staggered but a right hand. Southpaw Alcantara holds the center. Omigawa tries to clinch, but Alcantara pushes him a way. Omigawa moving in odd angles, but Alcantara is finding him with punches early. Omigawa switching staces as he moves inside. He just misses a spinning backfist. Omigawa starting to land a little more frequently, but Alcantara is answering every blow. Alcantara very patient on the outside. He just misses on a few flashy high kicks. Omigawa rushes in but gets caught bu a knee. Spinning elbow lands shortly after, and Omigawa is hurt. Alcantara pounces and drags the fight to the floor. He takes the back and punches away rather than looking for the choke. Omigawa absorbs it and turns in, sweeping to top position. One minute remains. Omigawa advances out to half-mount, but Alcantara quickly regains guard. Omigawa not doing much on top, but he does get to catch his wits. Deep armbar but Alcantara in the closing seconds. Brilliant transition. Round ends as Roberts moves in. Alcantara thinks the fight is over, but it's not. Looked like a possible tap, but Alcantara will have to settle for the round, 10-9 on the MMAjunkie.com card.

Round 2 -Early knee from Alcantara. He's aggressive with his strikes early on, but Omigawa continues to press forward, even launching a spinning backfist. Omigawa stunned with two punches, and he wobbles to the deck. Alcantara thinks choke, but Omigawa turns to his back and keeps his opponent on top. Omigawa turns for a leg, but Alcantara takes mount and then the back on a spin. Omigawa uses the cage to prevent full back control and rolls over to the mat. Credit to Omigawa for his durability, but he is being manhandled. Alcantara looks for the choke, delivering occasional elbows, as well, when the opportunity arises. Omigawa again spins to his back and gets full guard. Alcantara tries for a few athletic guard passes, but he settles for keeping positional control. Omigawa looks to roll for submissions, but nothing is there. Alcantara pounds away, and Omigawa's ear is bleeding terrible. Round ends, and it's all Alcantara, 10-9 on the MMAjunkie.com card.

Round 3 - Omigawa somehow still has some spring in his legs. He's shuffling his feet, working those odd, hooking angles. Meanwhile, Alcantara stands almost stationary and wait to unleash. First minute passes with little action. Alcantara wings a few wold hooks that miss. He looks comfortable just riding out the round. Crowd boos get both guys moving a bit. Alcantara landing with straighter punches. Still, a gritty Omigawa is pushing forward and looking to land something special. Alcantara works in four punches, including one to the ear. Two minutes remain, and Alcantara tries a takedown and is stuffed. He looks exhausted. Omigawa sees that and brings him to the floor. Alcantara takes a closed guard and looks like he wants to simply ties things up until the final bell. Omigawa elevates and lands a few punches from the top, but he's going to need to get very busy. Roberts calls for action, and Alcantara responds slightly. Standup with just seconds remaining. Alcantara lands two punches and defends a throw, whizzing into mount. Bell sounds, and it's all Alcantara. MMAjunkie.com gives him the third, 10-9, as well as the fight, 30-27.

Alcantara takes it by UD
Old 01-15-2012, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthughesfan21 View Post

I liked Pyle basically taunting the crowd...Although passionate, they can be quite disrespectful...Chanting "You're going to die" to the Americans at weigh ins is going over the line
I didn't know about that. I thought they were very disrespectful to Pyle but that is WAY over the top. Dana better rethink having another PPV real soon in Brazil...

Old 01-15-2012, 12:56 AM
matthughesfan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
I didn't know about that. I thought they were very disrespectful to Pyle but that is WAY over the top. Dana better rethink having another PPV real soon in Brazil...
When Mendes was getting interviewed, the crowd was chanting...and so asked the translator woman what they were saying...She repeated it...and then so turned to the crowd and said "Well that's not very nice" like he was talking to a kid

When Buffer announced Alcantara as the winner, I swear it sounded like he said "YURI MARIJUANA ALCANTARA"
Old 01-15-2012, 01:04 AM
matthughesfan21

Gonzaga wins in round 1 by RNC
Old 01-15-2012, 01:40 AM

Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Ednaldo Oliveira

As Junior dos Santos' sparring partner, there's a bit of buzz surrounding Oliveira as he heads into his UFC debut here. Let's see if he's worthy of the hype. Dan Miragliotta is the referee.

Round 1:
There's a long feeling out process. Just under two minutes into the fight, Gonzaga shoots and scores the big takedown. Oliveira recovers to his feet only to get tripped back down and into his halfguard. Oliveira again tries to stand, but Gonzaga wraps a choke around his neck. Gonzaga flattens Oliveira and Oliveira taps.

Gonzaga wins via submission (rear-naked choke) - Round 1, 3:22

"It felt great to be back in the Octagon," Gonzaga said. "I showed that I still have my BJJ skills in there tonight. My time away from the UFC was good for me. I dealt with some personal business in my life and came back refocused. Before, I was training well, but my mind just wasn't in it. Now, I'm back, I feel great. I'm focused and I showed that by beating a 13-0 fighter."