Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 01-10-2012, 06:26 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
i think he just tries too hard ... in his interviews he seems very likeable ... you can tell he is still uncomfortable in front of the camera a little which makes him seem real and he does say some funny quirky things .. i think if he just stuck to being himself and talking about fighting, he'd have more fans ...
Uncle Chael is the only one who can make trash talking hot.. Jacob and Dan need to be cut ASAP!! I wish I could be Dana for a day..
Old 01-10-2012, 06:42 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

This isn't about liberals r conservatives, really. This is about his employers saying "If you want to work here, agree to 1 2 3 & 4.". He agreed then reneged. That simple
Old 01-10-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter View Post
What was the joke he made?
this seems to be more about the fact that he ageed not to say things and he did anyways.
Now he just seems to be doing it to get publicity. Unfortunatley he is not a very charming person so his jokes sort of miss the mark.
Llama, here is what he said:

Quote:
Jacob Volkmann, 31, of White Bear Lake, Minn., said he was placed on paid administrative leave on Friday by the White Bear Lake School District after he invited Obama to make an appointment with him for a "glass-ectomy" on Dec. 30.

"A glass-ectomy is when you cut your belly button out and put a piece of glass in there so when you have your head up your butt you can see where you're going," Volkmann told a reporter following his victory over Efrain Escudero at UFC 141.
A reporter?

Here are more details, Fox News has picked up the story.

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 01-10-2012, 06:54 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

the question is...should Employers have the right to place restraints on employees outside of their hours of duty, and especially if their comments do not mention their place of employment.

For a Nation that supposedly stands for freedom of speech, I am suprised on how partisan Americans can sometimes be when they gather in groups. It sometimes feels like Freedom of speech is only permitted IF it is in support of the majority.

In my experience of dealing with insitutions and people who harp on about "bringing into disrepute" there is one common denominator. They are stuck so far up their own arses they do not see that by merely claiming the like has bought the very disrepute down upon their own heads.

The moment you care more for your reputation then for the truth is the moment that you have stept outside of what is morally correct. Be it here on this forum, or in the Oval office itself.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:04 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
This isn't about liberals r conservatives, really. This is about his employers saying "If you want to work here, agree to 1 2 3 & 4.". He agreed then reneged. That simple
Amen brotha!!
Old 01-10-2012, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
"the question is...should Employers have the right to place restraints on employees outside of their hours of duty, and especially if their comments do not mention their place of employment."
If Im not mistaken this applies to most All Athletes, Actor, Singers, Politicians....

They all get in trouble for what they say when they are not working most of them are fined. Why? My guess is cause people look up to them and they are considered role models so their sponsors don't want to be associated with them cause it makes them look bad. So I dont see what you are saying here Dave.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:43 PM
bradwright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
the question is...should Employers have the right to place restraints on employees outside of their hours of duty, and especially if their comments do not mention their place of employment.

For a Nation that supposedly stands for freedom of speech, I am suprised on how partisan Americans can sometimes be when they gather in groups. It sometimes feels like Freedom of speech is only permitted IF it is in support of the majority.

In my experience of dealing with insitutions and people who harp on about "bringing into disrepute" there is one common denominator. They are stuck so far up their own arses they do not see that by merely claiming the like has bought the very disrepute down upon their own heads.

The moment you care more for your reputation then for the truth is the moment that you have stept outside of what is morally correct. Be it here on this forum, or in the Oval office itself.
this isn't about freedom of speech...its about a guy that was warned by his employer not to say certain things in his interviews with the press.

he chose to ignore his employer and say what ever he wanted...

and now he is suspended from his job for a while.

in reality Dave people in USA,and Canada for that matter can say what ever they want...its just sometimes there is a price to pay.

and if you dont believe me,then just ask the Dixie Chicks.

besides he knew the price he would have to pay before he ever opened his mouth...but who knows..maybe he was looking for some time off.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:48 PM
Hughes fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradwright View Post
this isn't about freedom of speech...its about a guy that was warned by his employer not to say certain things in his interviews with the press.
...because being a public figure like he is should somehow entitle them to have a say in what they can tell him to do outside his work?

Exactly HOW does what he said affect his performance, or the kids he is coaching?

Please consider England in your prayers!

http://www.intercessuk.org/iuk3/
Old 01-10-2012, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavierDLC View Post
If Im not mistaken this applies to most All Athletes, Actor, Singers, Politicians....

They all get in trouble for what they say when they are not working most of them are fined. Why? My guess is cause people look up to them and they are considered role models so their sponsors don't want to be associated with them cause it makes them look bad. So I dont see what you are saying here Dave.
He's a role model in his school? His employer at the time he made the statement was the UFC. I don't know if ZUFFA OR the school district has an ethics clause in his contract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizion View Post
Exactly HOW does what he said affect his performance, or the kids he is coaching?
It doesn't. The ACLU would be falling all over themselves to represent him in a lawsuit against the school if this was said between 2000-2008.

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 01-10-2012, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
He's a role model in his school? His employer at the time he made the statement was the UFC. I don't know if ZUFFA OR the school district has an ethics clause in his contract.

It doesn't. The ACLU would be falling all over themselves to represent him in a lawsuit against the school if this was said between 2000-2008.
I'm Just saying Athletes get fined all the time for speaking their mind.
Whats worst is they have to give a public apology which I find worst than paying money, it's embarrassing.

But to be honest I dont care