Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 01-09-2012, 09:49 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Default Volkmans Obama Comments land him in trouble AGAIN

guess he works with democrats

http://theflyingkneemma.wordpress.co...bama-comments/

In probably the saddest news of the day, UFC fighter has been put on administrative leave from his highschool coaching job for his post-UFC 141 interview. The worst thing about this entire situation is that it is second time this has happened to Volkmann.

After Volkmann’s unanimous decision victory over Efrian Escudero back at last weekends UFC 141 show, he had some choice words for the American President. His post-fight interview with Joe Rogan included a boring joke about Obama, but it was his post fight interview with Ariel Helwani that stirred the pot.

Here is what he had to say to mmafighting:

My beef with Obama? It seems like all his decisions, he’s not really thinking them through, he’s basing his decisions, it seems like, on who is paying him the most money. They’re not really logical, they’re not good policies. Like making a home affordable plan, the health care plan he’s got, it’s like, ‘Where’d you come up with that? Were you even thinking when you wrote it?’ I would for sure take him down and submit him. I would try to make it a very painful submission though. Try and do like a Kimura or an armbar, try and rip it.

Now it seems his comments will yet again interfere with his personal livelihood, as it appears that Volkmann is yet again on administrative leave from his highschool coaching job.

Volkmann tweeted earlier today:

Was put on administrative leave from coaching white bear lake high school wrestling for my joke. Unethical!

Whilst Volkmann may not have been wise to bring politics into his public interviews, it is unethical for his highschool to choose to separate themselves from him yet again. Freedom of Speech, in the US, is protected under The First Amendment, yet this is an example of how a fighter’s words can bring about his dismissal from his job.

It appear to be a bad case of déjà vu, but at least this time Volkmann was not visited by the secret service.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:52 PM
rearnakedchoke

good for the school .. and it is not unethical for the school to put him on leave ... what a tool .. hope he enjoys his time off ..
Old 01-09-2012, 10:01 PM

Here's what Cage Potato reports:

Quote:
Upon his return to the high school, Volkmann was given a three-page letter explaining why he was punished. He was also forced to agree to not break four rules in the future. Those rules are as follows:

1. No disrespectful name-calling in interviews (ie. idiot, moron, etc.)

2. Can’t wear White Bear Lake HS clothes while being interviewed.

3. No interviews on school property.

4. No calls for violence against any member of the school board.

Regardless of how you feel about those rules, those are the rules that Volkmann agreed to. He clearly violated that first rule with his recent comments, and is now being punished for it. That doesn’t exactly sound unethical; it sounds like how rules work.
So apparently he knew he would be in trouble with his school admin. but chose to comment anyway.

Note to Volkmann - you'd be far better off working for one of the candidates to REPLACE Obama than being disrespectful to him on air, seen by millions of viewers. I can't stand Obama and thought his joke was funny but I didn't realize he had been warned by his school after the first "incident". Either he's a dope or doesn't care enough about his job to follow rules that have been explicitly laid out.

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 01-10-2012, 07:13 AM

He should be cut hes not even a good Fighter...
Old 01-10-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
good for the school .. and it is not unethical for the school to put him on leave ... what a tool .. hope he enjoys his time off ..
I guess you're right if you're not a fan of the First Amendment...
Old 01-10-2012, 03:48 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by F34R View Post
please ... he works with children and he is talking about causing bodily harm to someone .. forget that he is a fighter, forget that he is talking about obama ... a lot of bosses may discipline an employee if they are threatening with inflicting injury on anyone ... given the fact that he also broke the explicit rules that were given to him and that he works as a mentor and trainer to children, i feel the suspension or whatever from his job is more then justified
Old 01-10-2012, 04:06 PM
huan

I like Volkmann and have to admit I chuckled at his joke, but does this really surprise anyone? School boards are chock-full of liberals who are foaming at the mouths and ready to jump on anyone who says anything negative about their beloved president.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F34R View Post
I started writing my initial comment related to that very thing but then I read the article by Cage Potato that said he had agreed with the school's restrictions regarding his public comments. So he willingly muzzled his freedom of speech rights in the interest of keeping his job. Otherwise, I'd agree that the school was wrong to put him on admin. leave. After all, he wasn't at school or representing his school at the time he made the comments - but he did agree to their rules. I don't know where the school gets off telling him what he is "allowed" to say when he's not engaged at his job there. Why on earth did he agree to that?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by huan View Post
I like Volkmann and have to admit I chuckled at his joke, but does this really surprise anyone? School boards are chock-full of liberals who are foaming at the mouths and ready to jump on anyone who says anything negative about their beloved president.
Unless that president happens to be the evil Bu$hitler....

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 01-10-2012, 07:17 PM

What was the joke he made?
this seems to be more about the fact that he ageed not to say things and he did anyways.
Now he just seems to be doing it to get publicity. Unfortunatley he is not a very charming person so his jokes sort of miss the mark.

[
Old 01-10-2012, 07:24 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter View Post
What was the joke he made?
this seems to be more about the fact that he ageed not to say things and he did anyways.
Now he just seems to be doing it to get publicity. Unfortunatley he is not a very charming person so his jokes sort of miss the mark.
i think he just tries too hard ... in his interviews he seems very likeable ... you can tell he is still uncomfortable in front of the camera a little which makes him seem real and he does say some funny quirky things .. i think if he just stuck to being himself and talking about fighting, he'd have more fans ...