Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Old 01-04-2012, 09:49 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
that Woman
Her name is Michele Bachmann, Dave. Also, she beat out Jon Huntsman, Herman Cain and Buddy Roemer; so she didn't come in last.

Here are the official numbers:

Mitt Romney - 30015 - 24.6%
Rick Santorum - 30007 - 24.5%
Ron Paul - 26219 - 21.4%
Newt Gingrich - 16251 - 13.3%
Rick Perry - 12604 - 10.3%
Michele Bachmann - 6073 - 5%
Jon Huntsman - 745 - 0.6%
Herman Cain - 58 - 0%
Buddy Roemer - 31 - 0%
No Preference - 135 - 0.1%
Other - 117 - 0.1%
Old 01-04-2012, 10:07 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Oh...I thought there were only six of them are the ones below her still in it to win it...or have they all gone now also
Old 01-04-2012, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
Adam, all the polls have consistently showed Romney as the candidate that would best unseat Obama.

As far as the closeness of the race, I could equally say that Santorum was the big loser as he has spent most of his time and money there, visited every single county - some more than once - whereas Romney spent little time and money there.

Take a look at the polls.
i am not sure i can go along with those polls, there were polls saying gingrich would win, herman cain was doing well for a while,..... anything can happen and the only poll that is accurate is the only done on election day

alot of those polls on there still have santorum as a sixth place finisher, there is just too much that goes on to put much stake in polls right now

romney spent 4.3 million in iowa, mostly on negative ads and yes, his super pac spent 3.4 million, he skipped over us, santorum spent 500,000 and still tied romney

one article today claims romney did worse than he did four years ago, and county by county shows that the only way romney won was by carrying the super liberal counties of iowa

the only reason they thing romney will win is because he is a moderate and will pull dem votes or cause dems not to vote, but i would hate to see a moderate get it, and it didn't work too well last time with mccain anyways, that and he has money:

COST PER VOTE=
Perry: $480 per vote, Romney: $156, Paul: $104, Gingrich: $92, Santorum: $24, Bachmann: $4.

not to mention romney has all the supporters he can get, and the rest are split between the rest of the field.... it is safe to say most of perry and bachmans supporters would have went for santorum, gingrichs voters would have been split
Old 01-04-2012, 10:49 PM
Chris F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Foxy View Post
Perhaps, but there are plenty of moderate Republicans who will ..
There is not enough of them to beat Obama. A GOP cannot win wihtout the right wing of the party
Old 01-04-2012, 11:04 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

The good news is...this is only the first...as I understand it, all the States have to vote to back a Candidate and the highest number of backings wins the nomination

Nevermind the presidency...we havent strictly speaking got a Candidate at all yet to stand against Obama...at present they stand only against each other....its part of what I dislike about the way American Politics works...in order to try and get a candidate against Barack, they try and split the party into supporting different members...with the danger IMHO of causing a civil conflict within the party itself...as one Republican tries to out-do another Republican...and as nominations dwindle...so might the ammount of people who vote.

There maybe some Republicans who have their favourite and who will abstain if their Favourite doesnt become the Contender to Barack Obama...its a false assumption to believe that as numbers dwindle, Republican voters will simply switch to the next...until they all vote for the same guy..it just doesnt happen like that in politics...as you wipe out nominations, you risk wiping out the voters who support those nominations...and as that gets nasty betweeen the last few nominations, its the exact time when the actual Ellection begins...leaving the Opposition Party almost certainly knackered and divided as they go against the Ruling Elite (unless of course the sitting President has come to the end of the line...)

It just seems a lot of work and stress on the party not in power...Thank goodness there are many more Caucauses to go hey Ideally...the only way to do this so the Party is in the healthiest position possible, is to have one Nomination stand so far ahead of everyone else its incontestable...Like one person getting 50 percent for example. The sooner its obvious whose won the better...a close race will not prove to ever be in the parties interest if this is the method of your Ellection.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris F View Post
Biggest loser is the American people. Real conservatives will not vote for Mitt. So they will either no show or vote third party thus ensuring another 4 years of Obama
Chris, I respectfully disagree. I'm a conservative and I will vote for him because the alternative is another 4 years of Barack Obama. Many will do the same.

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 01-04-2012, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamt View Post
i am not sure i can go along with those polls,
But Adam, it's not a question of you going along with it; statistics are statistics. I was linking you to that site so you could see that Romney does indeed have the best and most consistent numbers to beat Obama head to head. Those statistics have not changed.

We better hope poor loser Gingrich doesn't keep on with his enmity towards Mitt (which is weird anyway as Ron Paul had the most negative Gingrich ads in Iowa) - all it will do is play into Obama's hands.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:37 PM
Hughes fanboy

I like Santorum more than Romney.

I will plug my nose and vote for Romney, but his politics and Mormonism are not a good thing.

Still, Obama is a COLLOSAL failure and has gots to go!

Please consider England in your prayers!

http://www.intercessuk.org/iuk3/
Old 01-04-2012, 11:38 PM
Hughes fanboy

Chris - don't stay home on election day!

I know a lot of Christian-conservatives weren't crazy for McCain and did stay home.

Look what we got because of that

Please consider England in your prayers!

http://www.intercessuk.org/iuk3/
Old 01-04-2012, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizion View Post
I like Santorum more than Romney.

I will plug my nose and vote for Romney, but his politics and Mormonism are not a good thing.

Still, Obama is a COLLOSAL failure and has gots to go!
I like Santorum more too, Vizion. He, Bachmann and Perry come closest to my own personal views. But whether I like it or not, the Republican nominee needs to be able to attract moderate and independent voters to win the election.

I'll ask Chris not to stay home too! Romney is a whole lot better than what we have now.