Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 12-29-2011, 07:23 PM
Chris F

Default Calling all computer geeks

I need help! My daughters computer she does her home school work on will not boot. It beeps than goes black and goes to a screen to start windows normally or in safe mode. Neither of these work. When the timer ends it beeps and starts all over again.

She has a half a school year of work on that computer. Is it dead? Can it be fixed? HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is an old dell with XP. Not sure on the processor.

It did originally had an error message about hardware/softward addition has caused an issue but now that does not even come up.

Thanks in advance either way guys and gals
Old 12-29-2011, 07:29 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

It's likely that you have some sort of hardware failure. The other day, my computer acted the same way and was a hard drive failure.

Open your BIOS and check to see if your hard drive is still detected, that's likely the culprit.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:34 PM
Chris F

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
It's likely that you have some sort of hardware failure. The other day, my computer acted the same way and was a hard drive failure.

Open your BIOS and check to see if your hard drive is still detected, that's likely the culprit.
How? I am an idiot when it comes to technology my man.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:29 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris F View Post
How? I am an idiot when it comes to technology my man.
When you first boot the computer, you should have something that may flash very quickly saying "set up". Usually, you can just try hitting the F2, F8, or F12 button repeatedly once you start the computer. Start with F2, If it fails, restart, and try a different button.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:50 PM
Chris F

I did and I guess it is detected. Not sure what to look for but everything look ok
Old 12-29-2011, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris F View Post
I did and I guess it is detected. Not sure what to look for but everything look ok
If I am understanding your post correctly, it is now functioning. If that is the case, please learn a lesson and back up all your daughter's work on something - CD, thumb drive, back-up hard drive, Carbonite, etc. so she doesn't lose it in the future.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:45 PM
LESS TALK MORE ACTION

windows live has skydrive! she can save her work there and open it from any computer anywhere.

its cool cause it saves original word and excell docs without having to convert them. she can edit and save her work from a library computer then open it back up at home. I just started using it to keep personal docs off of my company computer. its been working good for me. i've even started loading files from my thumb there.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:32 PM

does she have anything important on there?

things can be gotten off of hard drives if necessary, but it will have to be by a pro

my opinion is that you need to recover your system. basically it wipes the hard drive clean and reinstalls windows, it will be in called windows recovery or something like that, but you will lose all your music, pictures, programs that have been downloaded, documents, favorites, contacts and such, but the computer will act like a new one, like out of the store box new
Old 12-29-2011, 11:48 PM
Chris F

No PTM it is still not working. I did as RD said and as far as I can tell the harddrive is detected. But no it will still NOT boot.

As for backing things up. It is a computer based program and you cannot save it onto a disk because it is copy written and the program does all the grading and such for you. If we cannot get it up and running she will have no real proof what she did and it will mess up transcripts for the future. Or she will have to do the whole thing over again.

As for getting the info off the hard drive that is expensive and with me out of work not an option. She may just skip to the next grade and work on my computer. Since she read at a college level she probably could skip it all anyway. I just really wanted her to learn it even if it bores her.

So does anyone know a way to boot it up or is it dead?
Old 12-29-2011, 11:49 PM
Chris F

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamt View Post
does she have anything important on there?

things can be gotten off of hard drives if necessary, but it will have to be by a pro

my opinion is that you need to recover your system. basically it wipes the hard drive clean and reinstalls windows, it will be in called windows recovery or something like that, but you will lose all your music, pictures, programs that have been downloaded, documents, favorites, contacts and such, but the computer will act like a new one, like out of the store box new
It was given to us. We have no disk in which to recover. That was my original thought as well. Thanks for trying all of you.