Default Dodd and AIG!

from AIG

The Back Story (View Blog)
POSTED March 17 2009 5:14 PM BY Amanda Carpenter Print
Listen
Font Size Share
Ask a Question
You Report
Democratic Banking Committee Chairman Chris Dodd is the chief beneficiary of campaign cash from American Interational Group, AIG, the insurance firm at the center of public outrage for handing out lavish bonuses.

Dodd has received more campaign donations from AIG's political action committee and employees than any other lawmaker. Records made available by the Center for Responsive Politics show Dodd received $280,238 of the more than $4 million AIG has spent trying to influence Washington this decade.

In the aftermath of disclosures AIG spent hundreds of millions of taxdollars giving employees generous bonuses, a handful of Democrats have proposed imposing a heavy tax, between 90 to 100 percent, on AIG's bonus pay to recoup the money.

While many members of Congress consider this idea there has been confusion about Dodd's role in placing limits on executive pay in the president's stimulus bill.

Fox Business reported Dodd inserted language into the bill to place restrictions on any bonuses given by companies being assisted by the goverment that were handed out after February 11. Therefore, the "Dodd Amendment" would have effectively protected the bonuses AIG handed out to their executives since the bonuses were doled out before that date. ABC News similarly reported "Dodd's measure explicitly exempted bonuses agreed to prior to the passage of the stimulus bill."

Dodd has pushed back hard against that analysis. Dodd Spokesperson Kate Szostak contacted the Washington Times to say the executive compensation amendment in the final version of the stimulus bill was different than the version Dodd inserted to the bill passed by the Senate. The final amendment regarding executive pay, according to Szostak, was worked out between the Treasury Department and the bill's conferees.

A review of Senate version and final version of the bill shows Dodd's original amendment did not include the February 11 cut-off date although the final version signed by the president did. Here is a link to the final version of the law regarding executive compensation which includes the date and a link to the Senate-passed version without the date.

In the end, the Senate supported passage of the final bill, which exempted bonuses issued before February 11, from the restrictions 60-38. Dodd voted in favor of it.

This is Szostak's statement in full: “Senator Dodd’s original executive compensation amendment adopted by the Senate did not include an exemption for existing contracts that provided for these types of bonuses. Because of negotiations with the Treasury Department and the bill Conferees, several modifications were made, including adding the exemption, to ensure that some bonus restrictions would be included in the final stimulus bill. Though not a conferee, Senator Dodd insisted that the final version include a provision to require the Treasury Department to review past bonuses. At the same time, Senator Dodd supported legislation by Senator Wyden that would tax the bonuses so that taxpayers could recoup some of this money; unfortunately, that provision was removed from the stimulus bill in Conference. Senator Dodd was completely unaware of these AIG bonuses until he learned of them in the past few days; to suggest that the bonuses affecting AIG had any effect on Senator Dodd’s action is categorically false.”

- Amanda Carpenter, The Washington Times
Old 03-18-2009, 01:36 PM
Crisco

They left out that Obama also recieved about 150k from AIG also
Old 03-18-2009, 01:55 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Dodd should be sent to Guantanamo for being a terrorist. Intentionally trying to bankrupt our country is just as bad of a crime as flying a jet into the WTC.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:04 AM

Just saw on the news where Dodd finally fessed up to including that "grandfather clause" that allowed the bonuses which both Congress and the President signed. He claims it was one of Obama's own people (can't remember if they named him) who "asked" him to include the clause.

They also said the majority of execs from AIG who got those bonuses were from Dodd's home state.

They make me sick. They are all a bunch of liars and theives!

Yesterday I heard on the news that most of the execs who got the bonuses have quit AIG. Supposedly AIG said they gave the bonuses in order to "keep" these top level execs. These are the same top exec b@$t@rds that made such lousy decisions that got them in this mess.

I think they all need to be shot, but only after they suffer slowly and painfully.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:22 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

In that case, shot with bb's or pellets.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21
In that case, shot with bb's or pellets.
I had something a little more painful in mind.

Like their b@!!s being put through a shredder along with their theiving fingers and lying tongues!

Hmmm...I wonder if that's still being too soft on 'em.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:53 AM
matthughesfan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie
I had something a little more painful in mind.

Like their b@!!s being put through a shredder along with their theiving fingers and lying tongues!

Hmmm...I wonder if that's still being too soft on 'em.
put them in a cage with a full size pissed off chimp, the males go straight for the testicles in an attack, after thats been taken care of, we can proceed to whatever treatment you see fit, I like your style though, remind me to never get you angry
Old 03-19-2009, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthughesfan21
put them in a cage with a full size pissed off chimp, the males go straight for the testicles in an attack, after thats been taken care of, we can proceed to whatever treatment you see fit, I like your style though, remind me to never get you angry
Ahhh, I forgot about the whole chimp thing.

Good thinking!
Old 03-19-2009, 06:08 AM
matthughesfan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie
Ahhh, I forgot about the whole chimp thing.

Good thinking!
I was at the thresh hold of pain just while thinking about that ...that in my opinion would be one of the top 3 worst ways to die...burning is probably first, but having your testicles gnawed off(not chopped) but slowly and painfully bitten and then mauled to death would probably be one of the most horrific things I as a man could possibly imagine
Old 03-19-2009, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthughesfan21
I was at the thresh hold of pain just while thinking about that ...that in my opinion would be one of the top 3 worst ways to die...burning is probably first, but having your testicles gnawed off(not chopped) but slowly and painfully bitten and then mauled to death would probably be one of the most horrific things I as a man could possibly imagine
Sounds like an episode of "1,000 Ways to Die".