Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Old 12-20-2011, 02:38 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthughesfan21 View Post
Which candidate do you think would help? Honestly, unless you are just focusing on the (R) in front of their name, I don't see how you could be happy with any of those candidates

Romney is the most normal of any of them, but I'm not confident in him
Perry can't even remember his own policies
Gingrich is the definition of a hypocrite
Paul has some good ideas but some strange ones too, but I don't see him being able to unite Congress and get things passed (because let's not forget, even if the President has great ideas, he still needs Congress to work with him)
Bachmann----Enough said
I think you represent the epitome of the media-brainwashed youth in this country.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:48 AM
matthughesfan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
I think you represent the epitome of the media-brainwashed youth in this country.
I can say the same about you regarding republicans...The same way you spout about liberal bias, you have the same republican bias....I have no bias towards either party and have things I like and dislike regarding both. But I believe both parties both have their priorities in the wrong place.

But if you would be so kind, explain to me what you think of each candidate and why my opinion of them is wrong instead of automatically just calling me brainwashed instead of offering any real response.

What media brainwash am i suffering from? I've watched the debates, but I don't watch CNN, MSNBC, or Fox News,. So who exactly is brainwashing me?
Old 12-20-2011, 03:02 AM
Administrator

Quote:
I can say the same about you regarding republicans...The same way you spout about liberal bias, you have the same republican bias....I have no bias towards either party and have things I like and dislike regarding both. But I believe both parties both have their priorities in the wrong place.

But if you would be so kind, explain to me what you think of each candidate and why my opinion of them is wrong instead of automatically just calling me brainwashed instead of offering any real response.

What media brainwash am i suffering from? I've watched the debates, but I don't watch CNN, MSNBC, or Fox News,. So who exactly is brainwashing me?
I haven't watched the debates because I don't have TV reception or cable. However, your "assessments" of the candidates seem to be taken right out of the media headlines. As if you just skimmed through the most popular, negative stories about each candidate in order to form your opinions.

I've never once claimed to be unbiased (I think anyone who does is a liar), so I am always upfront about my support of conservative candidates. That doesn't mean that I like everyone with an (R) after their name, but I will support those who stand up for the Biblical Christian values that this nation was founded upon.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:27 AM

Quote:
I have no bias towards either party
Not to gang up on you, mhf21, but your statement below belies your statement above.

Quote:
Which candidate do you think would help? Honestly, unless you are just focusing on the (R) in front of their name, I don't see how you could be happy with any of those candidates

Romney is the most normal of any of them, but I'm not confident in him
Perry can't even remember his own policies
Gingrich is the definition of a hypocrite
Paul has some good ideas but some strange ones too, but I don't see him being able to unite Congress and get things passed (because let's not forget, even if the President has great ideas, he still needs Congress to work with him)
Bachmann----Enough said
That last bit is particularly biased. "Enough said"? Why, exactly? Because she's a woman? Yes, she's made gaffes - as have Obama, Perry, Biden, Gingrich, etc., etc., - but she's a successful tax lawyer, legislator and has raised 23 children. I'd suggest that she's far and away more capable to address our country's problems than our current CiC.

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 12-20-2011, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
That last bit is particularly biased. "Enough said"? Why, exactly? Because she's a woman? Yes, she's made gaffes - as have Obama, Perry, Biden, Gingrich, etc., etc., - but she's a successful tax lawyer, legislator and has raised 23 children. I'd suggest that she's far and away more capable to address our country's problems than our current CiC.
I was wondering the same thing, Derek?

Last edited by Bonnie; 12-20-2011 at 05:03 AM.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:22 AM
matthughesfan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
I haven't watched the debates because I don't have TV reception or cable. However, your "assessments" of the candidates seem to be taken right out of the media headlines. As if you just skimmed through the most popular, negative stories about each candidate in order to form your opinions.

I've never once claimed to be unbiased (I think anyone who does is a liar), so I am always upfront about my support of conservative candidates. That doesn't mean that I like everyone with an (R) after their name, but I will support those who stand up for the Biblical Christian values that this nation was founded upon.
My comments were made on my own observations...I don't think I was that harsh in my comments except for Gingrich and Bachmann. I said Romney seemed normal but I wasn't fully confident in him(I don't think that is bad, I just need to see more of him before I'm ready to form a full opinion, but he would be my favorite of the current candidates at the moment.

I said Paul had some good ideas and some strange ones that are far different than most politicians, and I mentioned his ability to work with Congress and get agreements(I think this is a fair concern due to his opinions being far different in certain areas)

Gingrich was a leader in condemning and impeaching Clinton during the Lewinsky scandal(which I don't disagree with, except it was a classic example of pot meet kettle) all while Gingrich was having an affair himself, he eventually left his wife in 1999 for his mistress(the wife had been diagnosed with MS), he also had an affair on his first wife with his mistress(his second wife). He served her the divorce papers while she was in the hospital undergoing cancer treatment. He has also spoken against politicians involvement with Freddie Mac and Fannie May, and it comes out that he received money himself....Those aren't the kind of morals and ethics I want in a president.

Rick Perry actually forgot one of his key policies during a debate, it lasted several minutes and was really awkward. You can easily find the video on youtube if you'd like to see for yourself.

Bachmann has said some pretty wacky things, and she has spoken hatefully at times and I don't think that is what we need right now. I don't trust her ability to lead a country. Oh and Bonnie and Flo, did I say anything about her gender? I assure you, I would say the same things if she had a penis
Old 12-20-2011, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Bachmann has said some pretty wacky things, and she has spoken hatefully at times and I don't think that is what we need right now.
Like what? You mean the gaffe about the hometown of John Wayne? What hateful things?

Quote:
Oh and Bonnie and Flo, did I say anything about her gender? I assure you, I would say the same things if she had a penis
You gave reasons for all the men on your list being unfit in your eyes to become president while stating "enough said" after Bachmann's name. I think many people would infer the same thing Bonnie and I did after reading your list which is why I asked you to clarify.

A couple things about your objections to Newt Gingrich; you do seem to be repeating Democrat talking points. It is totally untrue that he "served her the divorce papers while she was in the hospital undergoing cancer treatment". Here is a statement by their own daughter who was in the hospital room at the time:

Jackie Gingrich sets the record straight.

Clinton was impeached by the House for lying under oath and obstruction of justice, not for having sex with Monica Lowinsky in the Oval Office. So that comparison is not valid. And he received money from Freddie Mac as a consultant - pretty common in DC. Should that prevent someone from speaking out about flawed legislation regarding Freddie and Fannie? I don't think it should.

I mean, he *is* flawed like they all are. They're human! But I think you're smearing them with a broad brush.

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 12-20-2011, 12:26 PM
Administrator

Quote:
What hateful things?
Yeah, I'd be very interested to know what he defines as "hateful."
Old 12-20-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
My least favorite is Ron Paul. Although I agree with many of his libertarian views, I think his thoughts on America being isolationist is not a bit realistic.
. . . not to mention the fact that he seems to act as a salt lick for nutters.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:41 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man View Post
. . . not to mention the fact that he seems to act as a salt lick for nutters.
Hey, my buddy Nathan's a Ron Paul supporter & he's...totally wacko!