Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Old 12-19-2011, 06:47 PM
matthughesfan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
No, but it was a stupid idea to immediately spend $787 billion of our money on corrupt companies who deserved to go out of business was certainly a good reason to want him out of office.
Absolutely agreed, but so was the bailout under Bush in 2008...Both of them sucked
Old 12-19-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
Talk about an amazing year for political changes in our favor!

1. Ousting of Hosni Mubarak of Egypt
2. Death of Osama Bin Laden of a mansion in a suburb of the capital of Pakistan (WTF?)
3. Death of Muammar Gaddafi of Libya
4. Death of Kim Jong-Il of North Korea

Woot woot!

If we only had an election to get Obama out of office this year too!
I agree with your list except for #1. Hosni Mubarak honored the Egypt-Israel peace treaty and kept relative calm in his country. Did you see what the Egyptian military did this weekend? Hitting protesters with pipes, stripping and stomping a woman, dragging them away by their hair? The Muslim Brotherhood is now the country's leading political force. Yes, they criticized the military over what happened this weekend but they have been allied with them until this latest violence and will do/say whatever it takes to cement their control over the country in the upcoming elections.

Mubarak was a dictator but so is Abdullah of Jordan and we hold him in pretty high esteem diplomatically and Jordan is an important ally of the US.

IMHO, these middle-east countries need a benevolent dictatorship to keep their crazies in line until they can ease into a more democratic-type government. It seems like these violent ousters are often replaced with something similar or worse.

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 12-19-2011, 06:53 PM

Yeah, Bush's second term was a flop and he made some bad decisions. But Obama's decisions have exacerbated that feeble and teetering economy. We're sunk if he stays in office another 4 years.

But Miss Cleo says that ain't gonna happen.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:03 PM
matthughesfan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
Yeah, Bush's second term was a flop and he made some bad decisions. But Obama's decisions have exacerbated that feeble and teetering economy. We're sunk if he stays in office another 4 years.

But Miss Cleo says that ain't gonna happen.
We are sunk either way. The republican candidates are terrible too. And regardless of political party, there is a problem in Washington and it involves the politicians being too cozy with lobbyists...In this day and age, the politicians care more about themselves and their friends than the do about thegood of the country and the people
Old 12-19-2011, 07:27 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
I have a feeling things might get worse in North Korea, at least initially. The son who takes over will want to prove that he's no pushover, so I expect a lot of threats and posturing that could come close to pushing us into another war.
they were testing missiles the same day he died .. i'd say that is a sure sign ..
Old 12-19-2011, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthughesfan21 View Post
We are sunk either way. The republican candidates are terrible too. And regardless of political party, there is a problem in Washington and it involves the politicians being too cozy with lobbyists...In this day and age, the politicians care more about themselves and their friends than the do about thegood of the country and the people
Exactly I dont see anything the Republicans can do to make everything better..
Old 12-19-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavierDLC View Post
Exactly I dont see anything the Republicans can do to make everything better..
I disagree. Either way, time will tell. Hate 'em or love 'em, mhf21, but the leading Republican candidates have far more experience - both politicallly and in the business world - than the current CiC when he was running.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:56 PM
matthughesfan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
I disagree. Either way, time will tell. Hate 'em or love 'em, mhf21, but the leading Republican candidates have far more experience - both politicallly and in the business world - than the current CiC when he was running.
Which candidate do you think would help? Honestly, unless you are just focusing on the (R) in front of their name, I don't see how you could be happy with any of those candidates

Romney is the most normal of any of them, but I'm not confident in him
Perry can't even remember his own policies
Gingrich is the definition of a hypocrite
Paul has some good ideas but some strange ones too, but I don't see him being able to unite Congress and get things passed (because let's not forget, even if the President has great ideas, he still needs Congress to work with him)
Bachmann----Enough said
Old 12-20-2011, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Which candidate do you think would help?
Any. Any are better than what we have. I try not to let the media bias my judgement about the candidates, as they did with Sarah Palin. I try to base my opinions of them by their past performances, record and the debates.

My least favorite is Ron Paul. Although I agree with many of his libertarian views, I think his thoughts on America being isolationist is not a bit realistic.

Old 12-20-2011, 02:36 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Absolutely agreed, but so was the bailout under Bush in 2008...Both of them sucked
That same bank bailout that Obama took time out of his campaign to vote for back in 2008. The fact that you place all the blame on Bush shows that you are guilty of the exact same bipartisan closed-mindedness that you are accusing flo of.

Anyways, I would say that the 2008 bailout was necessary to prevent a global financial collapse. Of course it was to fix a problem that NEVER should have existed in the first place - created by the notion that every American is "entitled" to own their own home. However, it was still necessary and, from what I understand, many banks have already paid back the money that they were given because they don't like the idea of being under the thumb of the federal government.

The financial problem that we are in right now is not going to be fixed by the government. In fact, all the government can do at this point is make things worse. It would help to have a more fiscally conservative President who actually knows how to handle money, however.