Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Old 12-17-2011, 01:55 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Default TX Attorney General Tells Atheists: "Don't Mess With Texas"

Score another point for Texas, basically telling the non-Christians, we respect your beliefs, but most importantly, respect ours more and don't tread on us!

http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes...ith-texas.html
Quote:
TX Attorney General Tells Atheists: “Don’t Mess With Texas”

Posted in Top Stories | 764 comments

Dec 16, 2011

By Todd Starnes/TWITTER

The Texas Attorney General has offered to defend a Texas county under attack by a group of Wisconsin atheists who are demanding that a Nativity located on the lawn of the Henderson County courthouse be torn down.

“Our message to the atheists is don’t mess with Texas and our Nativity scenes or the Ten Commandments,” Attorney General Greg Abbott told Fox News & Commentary. “I want the Freedom From Religion Foundation to know that our office has a history of defending religious displays in this state.”

Abbott sent a letter to Henderson County Judge Richard Sanders offering whatever help he could provide in the event the county is sued. He also assured the judge that the county has no legal obligation to remove the Nativity scene from the courthouse grounds.

The Freedom From Religion Foundation, a group based in Wisconsin, sent a letter to Henderson County explaining that a local resident had complained and they wanted the Nativity removed.

“It sends a message of intimidation and exclusion to non-Christians and non-believers this time of year,” FFRF co-founder Annie Laurie Gaylor told television station KFDW.

Athens Daily Review photo

She said the location of the Nativity — on the lawn of the courthouse in Athens, made non-Christians feel unwelcome.

“Anybody walking by that is going to say, ‘Hmmm. This is a Christian government building. I’m not welcome here if I’m not Christian,’” she told the television station.

Attorney General Abbott said the organization is trying to “bully local governmental bodies” and he said he wanted to make sure Henderson County knows “there is a person, a lawyer and an organization in this state that has their back, that has the law, that has the muscle and firepower to go toe-to-toe with these organizations that come from out of state trying to bully governmental bodies into tearing down things like Nativity scenes.”

Many residents and ministers in this east Texas community have vowed to fight back. Hundreds of people are expected to attend a rally on Saturday to show their support for the Nativity. Nathan Lorick, the pastor of the First Baptist Church in Malakoff is one of the organizers of the rally. He called on residents to gather peacefully and in a spirit of love.

“It’s time that Americans stand up and take America back for the faith that we were founded upon,” Lorick told Fox News & Commentary last week. “We’re going to stand up and fight for this.”

Henderson County Commissioner Joe Hall called the attack “stupid” and said he’s going to do whatever it takes to stop the group from removing the Nativity.

“I’ll tell you this — I’m going to fight this until hell freezes over,” Hall told Fox News & Commentary. “I hope and pray that we leave it up.”

Hall said he’s lived in the community for 35 years and as long as he can remember the Nativity has been erected on the courthouse lawn.

“It’s been up there for decades without any complaints,” he said.
Pastor Lorick said it’s time to draw a line in the sand — and start standing up for the Christian faith.

“Christianity is under attack in America,” he told Fox News & Commentary. “Our country is quickly heading down a direction which the Christian faith is taking a hit — it’s quickly becoming suppressed.”

The attorney general agreed with that sentiment.

“There has been an ongoing battle between the forces of atheism and the forces of those who are antagonistic to all things religious against those who recognize the religious heritage of this country,” Abbott said. “And by defending Nativity scenes, by defending the Ten Commandments and by defending students who try to say a prayer at a graduation ceremony, we’re trying to preserve, protect and defend what we know is perfectly legal.”
In case anybody would like to add this wonderful man, here are his social accounts:

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/TexansForAbbott
Twitter - https://twitter.com/#!/GregAbbott_TX

And in case you'd like to tell the Freedom From Religion Foundation people to stick it where the sun don't shine, here's their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/4ffrf
I added:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21
Brett Fitzgerald

Hey, we don't tread on your beliefs, so don't tread on ours. Stay out of Texas, you will not garner any support here for your stupid cause.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:58 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Wow, already got my first responses from my post on their Facebook wall:

Help me fight back at these people!

https://www.facebook.com/4ffrf/posts...t=feed_comment
    • Amy Anderson Who the hell asked you to come on this page? Go back to whatever hole you came out of and pray to your lord for mercy so you can sin again. Bye bye.2 minutes ago · Like
    • Nicholas Allee If Yahweh were real, I would kick his megalomaniacal ass.58 seconds ago · Like
    • Suzane Watkinson Oh good, let's cancel the bill of rights in Texas. Give us all your guns.56 seconds ago · Like · 2
    • Nicholas Allee Also, I would be denying the Holy Spirit whilst kicking said ass.30 seconds ago · Like
Old 12-17-2011, 02:19 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Just for more fun. Some of them are nice people, some are jackasses:

Quote:
Hey, we don't tread on your beliefs, so don't tread on ours. Stay out of Texas, you will not garner any support here for your stupid cause:

http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes...ith-texas.html

Like · · 25 minutes ago ·
  • Janet Jones likes this.
    • Amy Anderson Who the hell asked you to come on this page? Go back to whatever hole you came out of and pray to your lord for mercy so you can sin again. Bye bye.24 minutes ago · Like · 1
    • Nicholas Allee If Yahweh were real, I would kick his megalomaniacal ass.22 minutes ago · Like
    • Suzane Watkinson Oh good, let's cancel the bill of rights in Texas. Give us all your guns.22 minutes ago · Like · 4
    • Nicholas Allee Also, I would be denying the Holy Spirit whilst kicking said ass.21 minutes ago · Like · 1
    • Brett Fitzgerald ‎@Amy, the same people who asked you to push your beliefs on the people who wanted to put a nativity scene on one of our courthouses - Nobody.18 minutes ago · Like
    • Suzane Watkinson ‎@Brett :
      > push your beliefs

You are confused. The creche pushes illegal religion on us, the constitution forbids it.16 minutes ago · Like
    • Karl Saxon You don't tread on our beliefs? Really? Well if that's the case, then how come I see church signs on every corner telling me that true happiness can't be achieved without jeezus? Or worse, telling me that I'll burn for not accepting the holy spirit. 16 minutes ago · Like
    • Brett Fitzgerald ‎@Suzane, I don't push my beliefs, I honestly don't like it when Christians or any other group does that to be honest. But, trying to demand somebody to take down a nativity scene, that is pushing your beliefs on others.14 minutes ago · Like
    • Brett Fitzgerald ‎@Karl, I agree, I honestly find that annoying as well.14 minutes ago · Like
    • Frank Wagle Brett,
      The only reason the FFRF gets involved in something like this is because a local citizen asked them for help in correcting a Constitutional violation.14 minutes ago · Like · 2
    • Brett Fitzgerald Frank, why is it that 1 person's beliefs should be stronger than that of a greater number? Also, how is a nativity scene a Constitutional violation?11 minutes ago · Like
    • Keith Shelton you push your beliefs when you put it on public property. Why are your homes and churches insufficient room to practice your religion?10 minutes ago · Like · 1
    • Amy Anderson Thank you Frank.. I can be woman enough to apologize for my early outburst, but people need to realize that we aren't pushing anything on anyone, nor are we trying to take beliefs away from people. Look at the pictures of that Nativity Scene there is not anything anywhere near it that can be considered secular. That is why it is not legal, and that is why we will be dealing with this crap next year as well.10 minutes ago · Like
    • Suzane Watkinson ‎@Brett :
      > trying to demand somebody to take down a nativity
      > scene,

Well that is a miss statement of what the law requires. It can be moved to private land you know. But if it stays there it must be one of many different religious an...See More
      9 minutes ago · Like · 2
    • Frank Wagle Brett,
      Tax money is collected from everyone of all different beliefs and nonbelief. There for you cannot use government money and/or property to promote any one belief. The Supreme Court has ruled on this issue several times.7 minutes ago · Like · 3
    • Brett Fitzgerald Thanks all for the information, just saying, you won't garner support here, lol

I gotta get going to class. Thanks for the informative conversation. I gotta admit, I respect that you all fight for your beliefs and have been civil toward me in your explanations of those beliefs.6 minutes ago · Like
    • Wayne Miller Yes you do push your beliefs, your anti religion6 minutes ago · Like
    • Amy Anderson You don't tread on others beliefs? Have you read some of the posts on this page? I doubt it otherwise you would see how false that statement is. Just by fighting to keep your stupid plastic display up and refusing to put up other secular it...See More
      4 minutes ago · Like
    • Frank Wagle Wayne,
      We don't try to use government money and/or property to do so. That's why what we do is legal and what Christians want to do is illegal.4 minutes ago · Like · 1
    • Brett Fitzgerald Well, with the exception of the guy at the top of the thread who said he would kick my ass, LOL.

Take care3 minutes ago · Like
    • Nicholas Allee I didn't know you were a mythical desert warlord, Brett.2 minutes ago · Like
    • Amy Anderson He didn't say he would kick your ass.. See that may be the problem.. People spend so much time trying to understand the bible that they forget how to comprehend simple english.2 minutes ago · Like
    • Amy Anderson Nicholas Allee If Yahweh were real, I would kick his megalomaniacal ass.about a minute ago · Like
    • Amy Anderson Wow...about a minute ago · Like
Old 12-17-2011, 05:24 PM

I try to stay off FB as much as possible.

That said, I applaud AG Abbott; it's about time those in a position of power started fighting back against the PC trend of offending the many to appease the few (or often, the imaginary).

I read this definition of political correctness on the web:

Quote:
“Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional,
illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream
media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to
pick up a turd by the clean end.”

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 12-17-2011, 05:34 PM
Chris F

Not that it well help Brett but I posted somethign for you.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:55 PM
County Mike

I'm not sure it would have been the most Christian of responses, but mine would have simply read "Suck it! The nativity stays."
Old 12-17-2011, 08:14 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Thanks all, but at the same time, it's kinda fun. There were a few people who are adult about the conversation, but the ones that aren't are always the most entertaining. Thinking about posting again to stir the pot, whadda ya say?
Old 12-18-2011, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
Thanks all, but at the same time, it's kinda fun. There were a few people who are adult about the conversation, but the ones that aren't are always the most entertaining. Thinking about posting again to stir the pot, whadda ya say?
Go for it, rd! I'm glad you have the constitution to take on those haters! I wish I could but it's better for my blood pressure if I don't.

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 12-18-2011, 05:25 AM
Administrator

How horrible it's going to be when those atheists have to stand before GOD and answer for those comments.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:30 PM
rearnakedchoke

as long as they are willing to use that space for other religious scenes at different times of the year, i am fine with it ...