Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 12-11-2011, 06:42 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Default Rumor: Overeem out for UFC 141

Frank Mir to replace Overeem due to failed drug screening?

http://bjpenn.com/news/2011/12/10/uf...ce=twitterfeed

Quote:
UFC NEWS – QuickTwitt: Rumors Flying That Overeem Is Out OF UFC 141 Main Event

In the midst of all the post-UFC 140 coverage, several members from the MMA media world are reporting that Alistair Overeem may have to remove himself from the UFC 141 main event against Brock Lesnar.

Josh Gross of ESPN even went as far as to state that Overeem is on this Monday’s agenda in the Nevada State Athletic Commission meeting and is stating that a pre-fight drug screening may be the culprit of the hearing.

During the UFC 140 post-fight press conference Dana White denied the claims emphatically.

It should also be noted that there is no reason to believe Alistair has failed a drug screening or is afraid to submit to screening as he has never violated a banned substance rule during his lengthy and decorated career.

We will keep you posted on this rumor, but for now, don’t mistake it, it is just a rumor.

Check the Tweets below:

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/12/1...rug-test-rumor

Quote:
Is Alistair Overeem on His Way Out of UFC 141 Fight With Brock Lesnar?

by Brent Brookhouse on Dec 11, 2011 12:47 AM EST in UFC News

Before the UFC 140 post-fight press conference a rumor started to circulate among media that the UFC was about to announce that Alistair Overeem was out of his UFC 141 main event with Brock Lesnar. The popular rumor was that Frank Mir, on the strength of his arm breaking win over Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, would replace Overeem for a rubber match with Lesnar.

While Dana White was quick to shoot down the rumors, asking where they come from, the rumors did persist. And White denying that the fight was in jeopardy doesn't mean that there aren't issues. White wouldn't talk about this in public if things weren't clear one way or the other. Then again, it could all be a rumor and mean nothing.

As for the reasons for a possible issue, Josh Gross from ESPN tweeted a very interesting bit of information:
@JoshGrossESPN

Josh Gross White denies Overeem is off the Lesnar card. But Alistair is on Mon.'s NSAC agenda. I've heard possibly in connection w/ prefight drug test.

Dec 11 via web Favorite Retweet Reply
Now, obviously this isn't based on anything more than hearsay and I'm certainly not saying that there was an issue with Overeem's pre-fight test. I'm just passing along information on what is being talked about by the media. He is on the NSAC agenda so that means there may be some sort of issue, but we'll have to wait until Monday to get the full story.

Until then, again, it's all just rumor.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:44 AM
matthughesfan21

Dana strongly denied it during the post fight presser...Who knows if he was just keeping it quiet until they know more or what, I guess we'll find out soon enough
Old 12-11-2011, 06:49 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthughesfan21 View Post
Dana strongly denied it during the post fight presser...Who knows if he was just keeping it quiet until they know more or what, I guess we'll find out soon enough
I believe Dana's words as much as I politician's words.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:31 PM

He's telling the truth right now... lol. Meaning, he hasn't officially been removed from the card. I just hope that Mir can do better against the big one.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:03 PM
kevint13

He is on the NSAC agenda because he is applying for a license, I am not sure what else is behind it. Keith Jardine is on the agenda for the same reason (Keith's is listed due to being that he is 35 years old).

http://boxing.nv.gov/Agenda/12-12-11AG.pdf
Old 12-11-2011, 05:29 PM
atomdanger

1. Congress lifted the ban on horsemeat, Reem is in the clear.

2. I honestly think even if Reem is in, he's done for.

Too many changes for him. Fires his one and only management and quits the only gym he has ever trained at to come to extreme couture, then mid training cycle his mom gets sick with cancer and he leaves couture, back to home but completely gymless since he fired those guys and bad mouthed them.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:02 AM
kevint13

Latest update is Overeem was granted a license. Apparently he didn't submit a urine sample for a drug test when they requested and waited to do so when he got back to Holland. They granted him a license, but he has several other drug tests he will have to pass.

http://bjpenn.com/news/2011/12/12/uf...ce=twitterfeed
Old 12-13-2011, 01:04 AM

Holland? Drug test? Pass? doesn't look good. hehe
Old 12-13-2011, 02:15 AM
atomdanger

I think its TERRIBLE, he was required / requested to do a drug test,
and didn't for 3 weeks.

Brock took his within 24hrs.

Reem says he had a flight to Holland.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:13 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

While I'm never one to accuse people of doping as I'm a firm believer of innocent until proven guilty, one would think Overeem would have thought of the implications caused by his delay to submit the urine sample. FAIL!!!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg pissonovereem.jpg (8.4 KB, 16 views)