Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 12-12-2011, 03:15 PM
bradwright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
What would someone who doesn't allow their kids to believe in Santa need to seek forgiveness for? Where is the sin that needs repenting?

You're right though... one of you would be in the majority... and one would be set apart.

What does God's Word teach us about being in the majority?

But... if you consider being like "everybody else" then you should prayerfully consider this:

It's obvious Nate stepped on a nerve and equally obvious you let your child believe in Santa. Rather than be defensive and go on the attack have you ever considered that the Holy Spirit was trying to convict of you something?

One of my favorite quotes is "The truth only hurts when it's supposed to". You've obviously been upset... perhaps you should consider why?

If you have any Scripture supporting your decision to encourage your child to believe in Santa I'd love to see it.
sorry but it didn't touch a nerve with me personally...i was just sticking up for parents in general... it was a good rant on your part though Chuck.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:42 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradwright View Post
sorry but it didn't touch a nerve with me personally...i was just sticking up for parents in general... it was a good rant on your part though Chuck.
come on man .. chuck if anyone is being cool with you .. i don't consider that a rant ...
Old 12-12-2011, 04:55 PM
bradwright

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
come on man .. chuck if anyone is being cool with you .. i don't consider that a rant ...
how long have you been here and how many posts of mine have you read ?

and you still dont know when i'm just kidding around a bit with someone.

thats okay though because when it comes to you i know you cant help yourself...after all you are from Ontario.

if i really wanted to bust Chucks balls i would have thrown in a dig about him smoking cigars...but i didn't...i thought i would just use dry humor instead.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:02 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
how long have you been here and how many posts of mine have you read ?

and you still dont know when i'm just kidding around a bit with someone.

thats okay though because when it comes to you i know you cant help yourself...after all you are from Ontario.

if i really wanted to bust Chucks balls i would have thrown in a dig about him smoking cigars...but i didn't...i thought i would just use dry humor instead.
alright .. my bad .. i just figured you were still fuming from the rest of the thread .. and i am from toronto, not ontario ... i would like you to be more specific, since it is the centre of the universe ..
Old 12-12-2011, 06:28 PM
bradwright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezar View Post
Well now that we have gotten back on the topic instead of Nate's presentation skills......

When I first read this thread I experienced a variety of emotions. I certainly don't want my children to miss out on anything. However, I couldn't help but remembering a debate that I had with Dave over Halloween. I told him I thought that Christians were doing a good job of robbing the original intent of the holiday and replacing it with their own agenda. We spend every Halloween at church. And I wondered if that is exactly what is happening to the Christian's Christmas. Is modern society stealing Christmas and it's original meaning?

We went riding around looking at Christmas lights the other night and were singing Christmas carols. As we were singing Santa Claus is Coming To Town I realized that I was telling my kids to be good and they would be rewarded by Santa, not God. Kids write letters of their wishes to Santa. They try to be good for Santa. Is this not idol worship?

I will not stop buying my family gifts for Christmas. I will not stop celebrating Christmas. I will not stop trying to show them the magic and joy of love and family. But I definitely feel like I need to reconsider just how I go about accomplishing this with my family.
i had said no i dont believe so before without an explanation.

but this is why i think that way.

God says
'You shall not make for yourself a carved image--any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.'

Santa is nothing you would find in any of those places that God talks about..
you will only find him in the imagination of children...and that...according to God's words does not constitute idol worship.

Last edited by bradwright; 12-12-2011 at 06:39 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:03 PM

Santa and the elves just want you all to get along!

J/K

My experience with learning about Santa was like Ben's. I pretty much agree with Brad as far as the topic goes - but then, I don't have kids either...

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 12-12-2011, 07:43 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post

J/K

My experience with learning about Santa was like Ben's. I pretty much agree with Brad as far as the topic goes - but then, I don't have kids either...
I'll be honest, though, my parents never used Santa as a morality enforcement tool & also weren't ever "pushing" Santa on me. As I recall, Santa only affected what was in my stocking. My presents were all from friends & family. My parents let me believe Santa as long as I wanted to but never lied to me when I asked them.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:45 PM
bradwright

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post

J/K

what do you mean you are joking ? i love Santa and the elves !

my experience was very similar to yours and Bens but even though i knew there was no Santa when i was about 5 or so i never ever let on in hopes i would get presents ever year from the jolly old guy for the rest of my life...

didn't quite work out that way but you cant fault a kid for trying.

and honestly Flo if you dont have children then like Nate i dont think what you have to say on the subject is of any relevance...(just joking)..so there !
Old 12-12-2011, 07:49 PM

It was never a big deal in our house growing up either, Santa was also the one who filled the stockings but I think we knew even as young children that it was actually mom & dad.

My real Christmas memories as a kid are not of Santa but our family gatherings. Of course, it was all so long ago, I really can't remember.

Quote:
and honestly Flo if you dont have children then like Nate i dont think what you have to say on the subject is of any relevance...(just joking)..so there !
I know, I know! But I always feel compelled to weigh in on every topic!

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 12-12-2011, 07:53 PM
bradwright

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
I'll be honest, though, my parents never used Santa as a morality enforcement tool & also weren't ever "pushing" Santa on me. As I recall, Santa only affected what was in my stocking. My presents were all from friends & family. My parents let me believe Santa as long as I wanted to but never lied to me when I asked them.
and that was the way i did it with my son...
when he came to me when he was about 6 and asked if Santa was real i told him no he wasn't.
but that didn't stop us from giving him something from Santa for many years after.