Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #101  
Old 12-14-2011, 08:37 PM
Tyburn's Avatar
Tyburn Tyburn is offline
Angry @ Injustice!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: England
Posts: 16,950
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRN View Post
I'm just picking on you again.


~Amy
its nice to be....er...appreciated
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 12-14-2011, 08:40 PM
flo's Avatar
flo flo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The Great Pacific Northwest
Posts: 7,737
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
I disagree with this statement 100%.
Granted, this is a man-made document, but you cannot argue with their scriptural foundation:


The Christian life is not meant to be one of doom & gloom, nor is our only hope at happiness to serve others (though you are right that this is a great joy). God does not berudge us joy & happiness. It is only when these become an idol that they are stumbling blocks.
That is a beautiful post and verses.
__________________
http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=339&dateline=13068036  43

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 12-14-2011, 08:41 PM
VCURamFan's Avatar
VCURamFan VCURamFan is offline
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Basketball Capital of the World
Posts: 14,323
Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
that rather depends on what brings you joy and happiness. I gaurentee you somethings that would bring me a lot of Happiness would most definately be begrudged by GOD
Well I'm not going to get into a full-on debate about that since it's been kiboshed by the higher-ups, but that defintely falls under the "become an idol that they are stumbling blocks" claus. Happiness is a good thing from God that can be perverted into sin, so can other things.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 12-14-2011, 10:49 PM
Play The Man's Avatar
Play The Man Play The Man is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,262
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
This week I have spent three days carol singing for the elderly stuck in their residential care homes.


God bless you, Tyburn.
__________________
"Be of good comfort, Master Ridley, and play the man! We shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out."
--Hugh Latimer, October 16, 1555
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 12-15-2011, 02:03 AM
NateR's Avatar
NateR NateR is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,738
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradwright View Post
nobody is lying to anybody in most cases...no parent sits a child down and tells them Santa is real.



in every single instance that i know of when the child starts to ask if Santa is real or not the parent says no...not sure how that constitutes blatantly lying.
"Nobody" is a pretty strong word. Are you sure that is accurate?

You are just assuming that no parent sits their kid down and tells them that Santa is for real because it helps your argument, not because you have any evidence to back up your claim.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 12-15-2011, 02:05 AM
NateR's Avatar
NateR NateR is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,738
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRN View Post
That sounds horrible and not fun at all!

Really, I would not enjoy that at all. It would not give me any joy or satisfaction. I'd just get depressed and obsess about being old and how my dad is dying. Probably I'll sign up to help at an animal shelter near here which is no kill. I much prefer that to making old people cry.

~Amy
I'm guessing they were tears of joy?

Or maybe Dave is just a really bad singer?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 12-15-2011, 02:18 AM
VCURamFan's Avatar
VCURamFan VCURamFan is offline
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Basketball Capital of the World
Posts: 14,323
Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
"Nobody" is a pretty strong word. Are you sure that is accurate?

You are just assuming that no parent sits their kid down and tells them that Santa is for real because it helps your argument, not because you have any evidence to back up your claim.
I pretty sure he was just speaking in hyperbole, NateR. We're all aware that they probably are people who do sit their children down & lie to them, but what we're discussing is the classical tradition of Christmas/Santa, not what the extremes are (people that enforce reality vs. people that intentionally lie).
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 12-15-2011, 02:37 AM
bradwright
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
"Nobody" is a pretty strong word. Are you sure that is accurate?

You are just assuming that no parent sits their kid down and tells them that Santa is for real because it helps your argument, not because you have any evidence to back up your claim.
lol...okay Nate...nobody i know personally sits their children down and tries to convince them Santa is real.

but i suspect that the majority of people with children dont as well.

feel free to show me some evidence that i'm wrong though.
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 12-15-2011, 02:53 AM
NateR's Avatar
NateR NateR is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,738
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradwright View Post
feel free to show me some evidence that i'm wrong though.
Well, I don't need to because I'm not the one making claims like: "nobody is lying to anybody in most cases" and "no parent sits a child down and tells them Santa is real."
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 12-15-2011, 11:51 AM
Neezar's Avatar
Neezar Neezar is offline
SupaDupaMod
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South
Posts: 6,480
Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar
Default

Is allowing them to believe not the same thing as saying he is real?

Are you saying that deceit is different from lying?

Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.