Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 12-09-2011, 03:55 PM
Miss Foxy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
I haven't heard their comments but if they were similar, they should get the same treatment, IMO.
Forrest said something to the effect that rape is the next missionary position..
Rashad said something regarding Penn State/Sandusky..

I agree very tacky on all 3 of them, however make it fair.

Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-09-2011, 05:52 PM
rearnakedchoke
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

here is dana's rational from sherdog ... i agree with the cut of miguel and the way he treated the forrest and rashad quotes ..

Bantamweight Miguel Torres has been released by the UFC, according to UFC President Dana White.

White revealed to Sports Illustrated on Thursday that the former World Extreme Cagefighting 135-pound champion will no longer compete for the world's largest promotion.

“Miguel Torres has been cut from the UFC and his career with us now is over,” White told SI.com.

Known for possessing an active Twitter handle, Torres was released following one particular tweet on Wednesday.

"If a rape van was called a surprise van, more women wouldn't mind going for rides in them," Torres wrote. "Everyone likes surprises."

The news comes on the heels of a pair of controversial comments made by UFC fighters about sexual abuse. Roughly one month ago, former 205-pound champion Forrest Griffin tweeted that “rape was the new missionary.”

According to White and Griffin, the fighter's questionable statement was intended to express his disbelief at how commonplace the crime had become after viewing multiple television media reports on various rape cases. Griffin later apologized for his comment and made a donation to the Las Vegas Rape Crisis Center.

Yesterday, another former UFC light heavyweight champion made a separate controversial remark at the UFC on Fox 2 press conference in Chicago.

Main event competitors Rashad Evans and Phil Davis began trading barbs near the end of the event, each predicting how the fight would go. Evans assured “Mr. Wonderful” that he would beat him up standing, predicting that the former Penn State University wrestler would go to his grappling base to avoid the strikes.

In articulating that point, Evans made a reference to the widely publicized Jerry Sandusky case, in which the former PSU assistant football coach stands accused of sexually abusing multiple underage boys during his time at the institution. “I guarantee you'll be the first one to take a shot, because I’m going to put my hands on you worse than that dude did to them other kids at Penn State,” Evans said.

White said he spoke with Evans after the press conference and the fighter explained his intentions behind the comment.

“Rashad walked me through what he did...Rashad wrestled for Michigan [State]. [Davis] went to Penn State. [Evans] wanted to slam [Davis] and Penn State,” White told SI.com. “Rashad is sorry for what he said. He truly is. He said it in the heat of the moment. He definitely took the wrong choice of words. He knows it, and I know he knows it.”

Regarding Torres' tweet, White said that he did not see the humor in the bantamweight's apparent joke.

“There’s no explanation for that. There’s absolutely nothing I could say to make any sense of that,” White said. “And the fact that he even thinks that’s funny or that’s a joke, it disturbs me. It bothers me.”

Prior to his release, Torres, 30, had won three of his last four. Prior to the WEC's merger with the UFC, Torres became one of the company's most successful fighters, winning the promotion's bantamweight title in 2008 and defending the belt successfully thrice before being knocked out by Brian Bowles in 2009. Torres posted a 2-1 Octagon record in 2011, most recently outpointing Nick Pace at UFC 139 on Nov. 19.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-09-2011, 06:03 PM
Miss Foxy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
here is dana's rational from sherdog ... i agree with the cut of miguel and the way he treated the forrest and rashad quotes ..

Bantamweight Miguel Torres has been released by the UFC, according to UFC President Dana White.

White revealed to Sports Illustrated on Thursday that the former World Extreme Cagefighting 135-pound champion will no longer compete for the world's largest promotion.

“Miguel Torres has been cut from the UFC and his career with us now is over,” White told SI.com.

Known for possessing an active Twitter handle, Torres was released following one particular tweet on Wednesday.

"If a rape van was called a surprise van, more women wouldn't mind going for rides in them," Torres wrote. "Everyone likes surprises."

The news comes on the heels of a pair of controversial comments made by UFC fighters about sexual abuse. Roughly one month ago, former 205-pound champion Forrest Griffin tweeted that “rape was the new missionary.”

According to White and Griffin, the fighter's questionable statement was intended to express his disbelief at how commonplace the crime had become after viewing multiple television media reports on various rape cases. Griffin later apologized for his comment and made a donation to the Las Vegas Rape Crisis Center.

Yesterday, another former UFC light heavyweight champion made a separate controversial remark at the UFC on Fox 2 press conference in Chicago.

Main event competitors Rashad Evans and Phil Davis began trading barbs near the end of the event, each predicting how the fight would go. Evans assured “Mr. Wonderful” that he would beat him up standing, predicting that the former Penn State University wrestler would go to his grappling base to avoid the strikes.

In articulating that point, Evans made a reference to the widely publicized Jerry Sandusky case, in which the former PSU assistant football coach stands accused of sexually abusing multiple underage boys during his time at the institution. “I guarantee you'll be the first one to take a shot, because I’m going to put my hands on you worse than that dude did to them other kids at Penn State,” Evans said.

White said he spoke with Evans after the press conference and the fighter explained his intentions behind the comment.

“Rashad walked me through what he did...Rashad wrestled for Michigan [State]. [Davis] went to Penn State. [Evans] wanted to slam [Davis] and Penn State,” White told SI.com. “Rashad is sorry for what he said. He truly is. He said it in the heat of the moment. He definitely took the wrong choice of words. He knows it, and I know he knows it.”

Regarding Torres' tweet, White said that he did not see the humor in the bantamweight's apparent joke.

“There’s no explanation for that. There’s absolutely nothing I could say to make any sense of that,” White said. “And the fact that he even thinks that’s funny or that’s a joke, it disturbs me. It bothers me.”

Prior to his release, Torres, 30, had won three of his last four. Prior to the WEC's merger with the UFC, Torres became one of the company's most successful fighters, winning the promotion's bantamweight title in 2008 and defending the belt successfully thrice before being knocked out by Brian Bowles in 2009. Torres posted a 2-1 Octagon record in 2011, most recently outpointing Nick Pace at UFC 139 on Nov. 19.
There's no way to defend Evans words regardless of what schools they came from gimme a break.. And Forrest's comments? Uumm same tacky manner as Torres'.. Dana is so full of it. I used to like him.. He has his faves.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-09-2011, 06:06 PM
JavierDLC's Avatar
JavierDLC JavierDLC is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: El Paso Texas
Posts: 2,306
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post

“Rashad walked me through what he did...Rashad wrestled for Michigan [State]. [Davis] went to Penn State. [Evans] wanted to slam [Davis] and Penn State,” White told SI.com. “Rashad is sorry for what he said. He truly is. He said it in the heat of the moment. He definitely took the wrong choice of words. He knows it, and I know he knows it.”

Regarding Torres' tweet, White said that he did not see the humor in the bantamweight's apparent joke.

“There’s no explanation for that. There’s absolutely nothing I could say to make any sense of that,” White said. “And the fact that he even thinks that’s funny or that’s a joke, it disturbs me. It bothers me.”
Dana White is so full of F'G S!@# its not even Funny...
Why doesn't Miguel get a chance to persuade him....
Cause he is not a huge star.... cause he doens't bring in the PPV numbers thats why..

The point is all the comments made by Miguel, Forrest and Rashad where jokes... and out of all of them Rashads was the worst... but since he has a potential match up with Jones he makes an example out if the Mexican so people wont get on his case about fighters being uneducated brutes who sponsor rape.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-09-2011, 06:07 PM
rearnakedchoke
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Foxy View Post
There's no way to defend Evans words regardless of what schools they came from gimme a break.. And Forrest's comments? Uumm same tacky manner as Torres'.. Dana is so full of it. I used to like him.. He has his faves.
of course he has his faves ... torres got released for saying something dumb ... he's gotta deal with that ...
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-09-2011, 06:08 PM
JavierDLC's Avatar
JavierDLC JavierDLC is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: El Paso Texas
Posts: 2,306
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
of course he has his faves ... torres got released for saying something dumb ... he's gotta deal with that ...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-09-2011, 08:31 PM
JavierDLC's Avatar
JavierDLC JavierDLC is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: El Paso Texas
Posts: 2,306
Default

Here is yet another wonderful article by Ben Fowlkes, I think he explains very clearly.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/12/0...s-rashad-evan/
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-09-2011, 09:01 PM
Miss Foxy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavierDLC View Post
Here is yet another wonderful article by Ben Fowlkes, I think he explains very clearly.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/12/0...s-rashad-evan/
Good read and I agree.. This is a bunch of lunacy..
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-10-2011, 02:34 AM
rockdawg21's Avatar
rockdawg21 rockdawg21 is offline
I'm kind of a big deal
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 5,584
Default

Wow, Miguel should have known better, but at the same time, Rashad's statement was FAR worse.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-10-2011, 03:45 AM
wavetar
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Ok, I'm normally a Dana White fan, but seriously...this is a huge case of over reacting, and spin doctoring to try & justify not handing out the same punishment to a couple of money makers...I mean, fan favorites....I mean...same thing.

He's lost some of my respect today. It's one thing to be a straight shooter and politically incorrect, because you're 'keeping it real'. I normally find him refreshing.

Today, I find him to be a vindictive douche...he was basically embarrassed because he was told about Torres' tweet during a television interview without prior knowledge, so his true colors shine through.

I personally think Torres has just cause to sue...mark my words, it WILL happen if this BS keeps happening.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.