Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Sports

Old 11-14-2011, 10:02 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Default NBA Lockout

I just realized there isn't a thread about this. Looks like now, the season may not start at all. So I suppose the question is, does anybody really care?

Personally, I don't care. I quit watching NBA after Jordan left. I prefer college basketball because they look like they still want to win (or get to the NBA to start making big money) rather than playing lazy and getting a paycheck.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:24 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

LOL, this just reminded me of a thread you made a couple years ago when Floyd signed to fight Marquez and you asked if anybody really cared. In retrospect, a lot of people cared, and it clearly holds some more significance after Saturday...but to stay on topic...

YES, people care, and I am certainly one of them.

The NBA had it's most exciting season since the Jordan era last season, and this is terrible timing for both the owners and the players. The news about the union breaking apart and filing a lawsuit adds an extra sense of gloom and doom, but Im still holding out some hope that they find a way to get a deal done before the end of the year.

I don't think it's fair to say or assume guys don't wanna win or just wanna cash a paycheck at the highest levels. Sure, I don't doubt that it happens, or that a guy gets too comfortable once they start making a lot of money, but I think that we see that to a certain degree in all sports.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:32 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
LOL, this just reminded me of a thread you made a couple years ago when Floyd signed to fight Marquez and you asked if anybody really cared. In retrospect, a lot of people cared, and it clearly holds some more significance after Saturday...but to stay on topic...

YES, people care, and I am certainly one of them.

The NBA had it's most exciting season since the Jordan era last season, and this is terrible timing for both the owners and the players. The news about the union breaking apart and filing a lawsuit adds an extra sense of gloom and doom, but Im still holding out some hope that they find a way to get a deal done before the end of the year.

I don't think it's fair to say or assume guys don't wanna win or just wanna cash a paycheck at the highest levels. Sure, I don't doubt that it happens, or that a guy gets too comfortable once they start making a lot of money, but I think that we see that to a certain degree in all sports.
LOL, well I knew that fight wasn't going to be close at all, but guess maybe I was the only one on the planet who knew it

Lockouts and those ridiculous millionaires vs. billionaire battles just irk me. I understand some of it with the NFL considering the dangers involved, and honestly can't say I know the details with the NBA since I don't really watch it nor keep up with the news on it.

Just saw that it was an untouched subject on the forum so I brought it up. So far, you're the only one who cares (on this forum)

Last edited by rockdawg21; 11-15-2011 at 05:40 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:54 PM
rearnakedchoke

i care a little ... i am sure there will be plenty of entertainment to fill the void .. plus, the raptors suck ...
Old 11-15-2011, 10:03 PM
matthughesfan21

i care a little but not much, just more hockey for me
Old 11-16-2011, 12:08 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthughesfan21 View Post
i care a little but not much, just more hockey for me
LOL, a FAR better sport anyways!
Old 11-16-2011, 12:10 AM

What are they squabbling about now? Didn't they just go through a lockout not so long ago? Do they really care as long as they have the cushion of their millions to wait each other out. If it wouldn't end up hurting all the regular joes that are already hurting enough who work the games and depend on that income, I would love to see the fans come together and lock them out.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:50 PM
matthughesfan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
What are they squabbling about now? Didn't they just go through a lockout not so long ago? Do they really care as long as they have the cushion of their millions to wait each other out. If it wouldn't end up hurting all the regular joes that are already hurting enough who work the games and depend on that income, I would love to see the fans come together and lock them out.
Revenue sharing is the issue, and they missed about half of the 98-99 season

The sticking point is the players received 57% of league revenue on the previous collective bargaining agreement, but the owners are offering a 50 50 split at best and the players don't want to reduce that much. But the thing is, 50% would still be one of the best deals in pro sports
Old 11-20-2011, 11:52 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
LOL, a FAR better sport anyways!
wrong
Old 11-21-2011, 12:07 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
It does seem silly when we think about it in terms of "millionaires and billionaires" arguing over percentages, but I stand behind the players in these situations. The players are the millionaires, not the billionaires, so they can't wait it out too long because the owners have much deeper pockets. The players are also the ones who make the product much more marketable to the fans, especially in the NBA where one or two star players can be the difference between a championship and low end of the totem pole. The players deserve the lions share in my opinion, and I said that about the NFL lockout, and I've said it about professional fighters for years.

Guys who get paid max deals in the NBA make in the area of 20 million bucks for their salary in the highest paid year of their contract, but those stars (Kobe, Lebron, Wade, Howard...) bring in revenue for their teams that FAR exceed that, and I mean FAR....There are reports that say Kobe Bryant has brought the Lakers around 100 million dollars in extra revenue in just one year. That is absurd.

The owners need to be saved from themselves in the NBA, and some of these markets just shouldn't have teams to be quite honest. Basketball is not the same sport as Football, and we will never see the parody in the NBA that we see in the NFL.