Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHughesRocks View Post
In what way exactly?

He sings pretty.....

~Amy

My son made this for me:
Old 11-26-2011, 03:38 AM
Conrad

I'm sorry to be the party pooper, but I just can't stomach MWS. It goes beyond the shallow, fuzzy, feel-good pseudo-christianity that he promotes in his work.

Adding to whatever previous criticism is his endorsement of the Heretical book, "The Shack." Remember, stories aren't just stories, they're teaching tools.

"The Shack" isn't just the heresy of modalism, it's actually interwoven with new-age subliminals and other heresies. The nature of God and the universe is completely perverted in The Shack, almost to the point of pan-en-theism (creation as God's body, slightly different from pantheism). If you've read The Shack, the mention of Fractals is an on-going mis-application of a real mathematical and natural phenomenon (see Nova's "Hunting the Hidden Dimension" for a good explanation) as if that phenomenon somehow reflected the metaphysical nature of how our spirits relate to God's being. It's because of another misapplication, this time of Rom 1:20 "For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. ..." Search youtube for Warren Smith Shack for an understanding of how we are being deceived from wishy-washy nominal (false) christianity into ideas that will slowly merge with global spiritism. Warren is a layman, not a professional speaker, but has written a handful of redundant books.

So, back to MWS... When he said that The Shack "will leave you craving for God," he meant it as a compliment. It should not have been a compliment. (Careful not to let our "christian" celeb's lead our spiritual application/walk.)

Sure, MWS does great audio theatrics (emotional appeal), and good renditions, such as Amazing grace, and fills the theaters for his heart-tugging, contrived performances. But, we should love the Lord our God with all our hearts, MINDS, souls, and strengths. Besides, this arrangement and the extra "chains are gone" chorus are by Chris Tomlin anyway. :P

On a positive note, if you wanna check out other good music look up Indelible Grace Music and Sovereign Grace Music. (Sovereign Grace Music is an off-shoot of Mahaney's Sovereign Grace Ministries.)

There, I finally spoke up. Nothing personal to anyone who posted in this thread. I'm just kinda tired of the "celebrities" of christian marketing. Having a great skill like MWS's singing ability is good. I often wonder what many christians think when they see his lyrics. Can they see past his use of emotional manipulation--music overriding the words. I'm not accusing the opening poster, but it's a little bit of a topical highjack (sorry dear). May the information above be a blessing.

-Mike

Why do we follow celebrities instead of theologians?
Old 11-26-2011, 04:00 AM
Stump Rules!

WAR CONRAD!

No seriously, I've never heard of MWS until a couple of weeks ago when I listened to a few samples of this CD on iTunes. I liked it, I liked some of it a lot, had me dancing around the livingroom while I was cleaning but that's all there is to it. I'm definitely not following him by any means. I'm too busy following Jesus

Led Zepplin is way better anyhow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
I'm sorry to be the party pooper, but I just can't stomach MWS. It goes beyond the shallow, fuzzy, feel-good pseudo-christianity that he promotes in his work.

Adding to whatever previous criticism is his endorsement of the Heretical book, "The Shack." Remember, stories aren't just stories, they're teaching tools.

"The Shack" isn't just the heresy of modalism, it's actually interwoven with new-age subliminals and other heresies. The nature of God and the universe is completely perverted in The Shack, almost to the point of pan-en-theism (creation as God's body, slightly different from pantheism). If you've read The Shack, the mention of Fractals is an on-going mis-application of a real mathematical and natural phenomenon (see Nova's "Hunting the Hidden Dimension" for a good explanation) as if that phenomenon somehow reflected the metaphysical nature of how our spirits relate to God's being. It's because of another misapplication, this time of Rom 1:20 "For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. ..." Search youtube for Warren Smith Shack for an understanding of how we are being deceived from wishy-washy nominal (false) christianity into ideas that will slowly merge with global spiritism. Warren is a layman, not a professional speaker, but has written a handful of redundant books.

So, back to MWS... When he said that The Shack "will leave you craving for God," he meant it as a compliment. It should not have been a compliment. (Careful not to let our "christian" celeb's lead our spiritual application/walk.)

Sure, MWS does great audio theatrics (emotional appeal), and good renditions, such as Amazing grace, and fills the theaters for his heart-tugging, contrived performances. But, we should love the Lord our God with all our hearts, MINDS, souls, and strengths. Besides, this arrangement and the extra "chains are gone" chorus are by Chris Tomlin anyway. :P

On a positive note, if you wanna check out other good music look up Indelible Grace Music and Sovereign Grace Music. (Sovereign Grace Music is an off-shoot of Mahaney's Sovereign Grace Ministries.)

There, I finally spoke up. Nothing personal to anyone who posted in this thread. I'm just kinda tired of the "celebrities" of christian marketing. Having a great skill like MWS's singing ability is good. I often wonder what many christians think when they see his lyrics. Can they see past his use of emotional manipulation--music overriding the words. I'm not accusing the opening poster, but it's a little bit of a topical highjack (sorry dear). May the information above be a blessing.

-Mike

Why do we follow celebrities instead of theologians?

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 11-28-2011, 08:48 PM
Conrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHughesRocks View Post
WAR CONRAD!

No seriously, I've never heard of MWS until a couple of weeks ago when I listened to a few samples of this CD on iTunes. I liked it, I liked some of it a lot, had me dancing around the livingroom while I was cleaning but that's all there is to it. I'm definitely not following him by any means. I'm too busy following Jesus

Led Zepplin is way better anyhow
Sweet! Thanks for not taking it personally.
Coming outta the 90's, I've just had too much who's-who of christian marketing shoved down my throat, mostly acts with undeserved theological credibility. It was a strange culture of people taking their biblical discernment & outsourcing it to corporate marketing (and looking at you like you're the devil if you don't follow in goose-step).

He does sing pretty, though. I still prefer Chris Tomlin, Charlie Hall, and Sherri Youngward, vocally. The guys a little drier and rougher than MWS.

I logged on today to check in on the training forums and look here to see if I insulted you badly. Good. Thanks!
Old 11-28-2011, 11:33 PM
Stump Rules!

Insult me badly...ummm no I'm a rock!

I'm going to check out those others you mentioned though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad View Post

He does sing pretty, though. I still prefer Chris Tomlin, Charlie Hall, and Sherri Youngward, vocally. The guys a little drier and rougher than MWS.

I logged on today to check in on the training forums and look here to see if I insulted you badly. Good. Thanks!

Old 11-29-2011, 02:02 PM
rearnakedchoke

is singing supposed to be a form of worship? i never got it ... i always think of Matthew 6:5 ... about the hypocrites praying in the streets just to be seen ... i could be wrong ... but to me, it falls in the same category ..
Old 11-29-2011, 04:27 PM
Stump Rules!

It is if it's worship music

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
is singing supposed to be a form of worship? i never got it ... i always think of Matthew 6:5 ... about the hypocrites praying in the streets just to be seen ... i could be wrong ... but to me, it falls in the same category ..