Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Old 10-27-2011, 06:36 PM
KENTUCKYREDBONE

Default Is thier any food they don't want to restrict or ban?

<< Back

WVVA TV Bluefield Beckley WV News, Weather and SportsSenate votes for unlimited potatoes in schoolsSenate votes for unlimited potatoes in schools
Posted: Oct 18, 2011 5:48 PM EDT
Updated: Oct 18, 2011 8:48 PM EDT
By MARY CLARE JALONICK
Associated Press
WASHINGTON (AP) - The Senate threw its support behind the potato Tuesday, voting to block an Obama administration proposal to limit the vegetable on school lunch lines.

Agriculture Department rules proposed earlier this year aimed to reduce the amount of french fries in schools, limiting lunchrooms to two servings a week of potatoes and other starchy vegetables. That angered the potato industry, some school districts and members of Congress from potato-growing states, who say USDA should focus on the preparation instead and that potatoes can be a good source of fiber and potassium.

Following a bipartisan agreement on the issue, the Senate by voice vote accepted an amendment by Republican Sen. Susan Collins that would block the USDA from putting any limits on serving potatoes or other vegetables in school lunches.

Collins, who is from Maine, a potato-growing state, says the vegetables are a cheaper and nutritious way to feed children when school budgets are strapped. She said after the vote that it was a "victory for common sense" and hoped the strong bipartisan vote would send a message to the USDA.

"This proposed rule would have imposed significant and needless costs on our nation's school districts at a time when they can least afford it," she said.

Amended was a spending bill that includes dollars for the Agriculture Department. The House passed a similar bill earlier this year including language that would ask the department to rewrite its school lunch rules entirely. Republicans have singled out the potato proposal in criticizing the rules, saying the government shouldn't be dictating what kids eat.

Advocates and government officials say children get enough potatoes already and should have more diversity in their diets

"USDA's proposal was about helping kids to eat a very wide variety of vegetables and I think that point has been lost in all this," said Margo Wootan, director of nutrition policy at the advocacy group Center for Science in the Public Interest, which pushed for the standards. "Other vegetables have a hard time competing with potatoes."

Since the proposed guidelines apply to federally subsidized meals, schools are generally fine with broad federal guidelines on nutrition - how many servings a week children are allowed of grains or vegetables, for example. But some schools have balked at the attempt to tell them exactly what foods they can't serve.

And many critics said the proposal ignores schools that have long since taken the "fry" out of french fry. Though they may be fried as part of initial processing, many schools are now preparing them with little grease and no crispiness, serving them to kids as a healthier option.

The way the amendment is worded - blocking the department from limiting potatoes - would still give USDA flexibility to regulate the preparation of the potatoes when it issues the final version of the school lunch rule.

""This amendment seeks to ensure flexibility for schools to provide nutritious and affordable school meals," said Democratic Sen. Mark Udall of Colorado, another potato-growing state. Udall co-sponsored the amendment with Collins.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:19 AM

His administration wants to control what we eat, what we drive, our health care, light bulbs, cookware (no more naughty teflon!), how we use our property, etc., etc.

Buh bye Obama.

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 10-28-2011, 01:43 AM
Administrator

The Nanny-State at it's finest.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:19 AM
LESS TALK MORE ACTION

but its for our own good. we should be thankful to have such a fine government looking out for us. we are obviously unable to look out for ourselves.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:43 PM
Dethbob

When I first scanned this article I thought how silly it was for state senators to be squabbling about school lunch menus.

It took a while for it to sink in that these are Senators, like the real ones, as in the Federal Government worrying about what to put on a school lunch menu. Now I’m depressed.

I wonder how much of my children’s future earnings they are ‘investing’ in this important topic, and what Business of State has been tabled to make room for this discussion.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:52 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethbob View Post
When I first scanned this article I thought how silly it was for state senators to be squabbling about school lunch menus.

It took a while for it to sink in that these are Senators, like the real ones, as in the Federal Government worrying about what to put on a school lunch menu. Now I’m depressed.

I wonder how much of my children’s future earnings they are ‘investing’ in this important topic, and what Business of State has been tabled to make room for this discussion.
i think it's great they are looking at issues with children .. they are the future of the country .. not saying i agree or disagree with the bill or the blocking of the bill (i do loves me some potatoes ...) but that the senate is actually spending time on issues that affect children is a good thing ...
Old 10-28-2011, 01:21 PM
Dethbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
i think it's great they are looking at issues with children .. they are the future of the country .. not saying i agree or disagree with the bill or the blocking of the bill (i do loves me some potatoes ...) but that the senate is actually spending time on issues that affect children is a good thing ...
OK, but it seems to me that they should restrict themselves to IMPORTANT issues. The school principal is the very highest authority that should ever need to be involved in the planning of a school lunch menu. The lunch lady should be able to handle it, if there is any problem the parents can get involved and the principal (or equivalent) can provide a ruling on any intractable disputes.

If the Department of Know-it-All wants to provide some guide lines based on research, fine, but to have any level of government, let alone the highest legislative body in the land, directly involved in meal planning is just preposterous.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:23 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
No, it's not. The federal government has no business whatsoever deciding the lunch menus of public schools. That's something that should be handled solely by state and local governments. It's nothing but a waste of taxpayer dollars for the federal government to even be talking about this.

Just another example of how bloated and out of control our government has become.
Old 10-28-2011, 02:19 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethbob View Post
OK, but it seems to me that they should restrict themselves to IMPORTANT issues. The school principal is the very highest authority that should ever need to be involved in the planning of a school lunch menu. The lunch lady should be able to handle it, if there is any problem the parents can get involved and the principal (or equivalent) can provide a ruling on any intractable disputes.

If the Department of Know-it-All wants to provide some guide lines based on research, fine, but to have any level of government, let alone the highest legislative body in the land, directly involved in meal planning is just preposterous.
the lunch lady will serve whatever she can get on sale and more than likely its crap .. i'd say do away with school cafeterias all together and teach the kids from young to pack and make a good, nutricious lunch .. that's what i do ..
Old 10-28-2011, 02:24 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
No, it's not. The federal government has no business whatsoever deciding the lunch menus of public schools. That's something that should be handled solely by state and local governments. It's nothing but a waste of taxpayer dollars for the federal government to even be talking about this.

Just another example of how bloated and out of control our government has become.
fair enough .. i still don't have a grasp on how things are done in the US, but issues that make it to the federal gov't up here usually means it couldn't get solved at lower levels .. recently they stopped companies like coke and pepsi from putting vending machines in schools .. didn't say that kids couldn't bring the stuff in, but that they wouldn't have vending machines available to teens and younger .. i really didn't see anything wrong with it ..