Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 10-22-2011, 12:48 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Default Saint Paul's Cathedral has shut its doors...

During the Great Blitz of London, Adolf Hitler recognised the value of Saint Paul's Cathedral as the symbol of Christondom in England and the very heart of the Capitol, and he vowed to distroy it in an endevour to ruin british morale.

The whole City was razed over night, and bombardments continued for around three months nightly. Saint Paul's Cathedral was hit twice...the damage done, which was relatively minor caused the Cathedral to shut its doors for Four days. That was the ONLY time that the Cathedral has ever been extendedly shut in its entire History...

This Cathedral which was a haven during the Bubonic Plague, a Beacon in the middle ages, considered free of the rule of the English Monarch, Survivor of the English Civil war and The Puritanical forces of the Cromwellian Commonwealth Protectorate, Survivor of the Dreadful scorn of King Henry VIII and his campaign to distroy every catholic foundation in England (700 such buildings did not survive the dissolution) Survivour of the Reformation, and the vandalism of the Protestants who desecrated sacred Catholic Shrines and beheaded the statues of saints, Survivor of the Great Wars.

Ressurected out of Earth Quake, Ressurected out of Storms of Lightning, and Ressurected from the Great Fire which momentarily saw the Lead roof burn so hot it ran as rivers in the streets.

A building, which was celebrated in whilst it was being rebuilt, with no roof, A building used by the best of the British Monarchs to celebrate the major successes that saw our mighty nation become the last great Empire on Planet Earth.

Saint Pauls Cathedral that I Served within and which I truely love...

Today Saint Paul's Cathedral did not open its doors for tourists, neither did it open its door for worshippers. Saint Paul's Cathedral is closed for the foreseeable future. The place which for more then 1400 years has been soaked in the daily cycle of prayer and praise, no matter what the world has done outside...is no longer functioning.

Camped outside Saint Pauls and surrounding it, are more then 100 tents packed full of angry anarchists who are campaigning, with no set aims, against the London Stock Exchange across the Square, which has completely ignored their settlement. Meanwhile, the Cathedral has offered hope and charity to those who have the right to protest against capitalism...but due to fears of health, safety and hiygiene, its no longer possible for the Cathedral to keep the doors open. The Tourists dont want to come, and they must pass through the camp to reach its sanctuary...The Cathedral, despite being an Established Church receives no funding from the Government

...it takes 50,000 pounds per week to keep such a symbol of GODs glory open...every day it is closed it loooses thousands of pounds, which puts its future into dangerous waters.

Noone cares.

Please pray that GOD would do something to rescue this tragic consequence, because the protestors will not leave, and until they do, the Cathedral will not be permitted to open...and a cycle which has been going on since the Roman Empire that is one of the few unending responses to Almighty GOD will not be present in this land...and we NEED that sort of protection and supplication.

I actually cried this morning when I heard on the news what had happened.
Old 10-22-2011, 03:55 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Statement from The Dean

The Right Reverend Graeme Knowles, Dean of St Paulís Cathedral, issued the following statement on Friday 21 October:

It seems a very long time since the protesters arrived around the Cathedral last weekend and I want to stress at the outset that we have listened to them and indeed developed a conversation with them.

We are delighted that the London protests have been peaceful and indeed there has been a good atmosphere generally between Cathedral staff and those dwelling in the tents around St Paulís.

There is something profound about protest being made and heard in front of this most holy place: a gathering together of those concerned about poverty and inequality facing the great Dome of this Cathedral Church.

You actually have to be here to witness it for yourself because the extent of feeling and protest is not easily translated via media in that sense.

But it is about the practical and safety issues which this peaceful protest has raised which I need to address with you today.

It should be obvious to anyone approaching the Cathedral that the size of the camp and the consequent compliance issues which it inevitably raises, has increasingly put us in a difficult position.

Last night, I met with members of the Chapter to discuss some of these key issues. As the week has gone on, and in a statement we issued earlier this week, we intimated how difficult the situation was becoming.

As a result of that meeting, and reports received today from our independent Health, Safety and Fire officers, I have written an open letter to the protestors this afternoon advising them that we have no lawful alternative but to close St Paulís Cathedral until further notice. I have here copies of the letter clearly outlining the reasons we have had to take this dramatic course of action which I will ask my colleagues to distribute.

The Health, Safety and Fire officers have pointed out that access to and from the Cathedral is seriously limited. With so many stoves and fires and lots of different types of fuel around, there is a clear fire hazard. Then there is the public health aspect which speaks for itself. The dangers relate not just to Cathedral staff and visitors but are a potential hazard to those encamped themselves.

The decision to close St Paulís Cathedral is unprecedented in modern times and I have asked the Registrar to implement emergency procedures whereby the building remains closed but fit for purpose until such a time that we can open safely. Our 200 staff and 100 volunteers are also being informed of this decision this afternoon.

I want to say two simple things at this point.

1)We have done this with a very heavy heart, but it is simply not possible to fulfil our day to day obligations to worshippers, visitors and pilgrims in current circumstances.

2)That all of the Chapter are at one on this and recognise the complexities of the issues facing us at this time.

As you can see in the open letter, I am asking the protestors to recognise the huge issues facing us at this time and asking them to leave the vicinity of the building so that the Cathedral can re-open as soon as possible. So many people who visit this great Cathedral come here, of course, because they love the Gospel of justice, peace and reconciliation (which some of the protestors are embracing for a whole host of reasons) , but also because they want to enjoy the peace and tranquillity of a place of prayer and pilgrimage.

Some will rightly say that the Church should be alongside those seeking equality and financial probity. We are. The debate about a more just society is at the heart of much of our work at St Paulís and indeed we hope to contribute to the wider debate in the very near future through a Report from the St Paulís Institute.

But today is about our ability, practically, to carry on our mission with free and open access to this public space and treasured place and I hope that the protestors will understand the issues we are facing, recognise that their voice has been legitimately heard, and withdraw peacefully.
Old 10-22-2011, 04:00 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Here is the Open Letter from The Dean

It seems a very long time since you arrived here last weekend. I am very grateful indeed to you for the peaceful nature of your protest. You know that many people around the world, including many Christians, identify with the injustices and inequalities which you believe our financial systems perpetuate and support. Your peaceful protests have been significant in voicing the problem.

With a heavy heart I have to tell you that St Paulís Cathedral has to be closed today until further notice, because of the legal requirements placed upon us by fire, health and safety issues. I know you will appreciate that in taking on the burden of responsibility for the care and well being of people entering our building, we must also be able to ensure everyoneís safety and, according to those who are expert in this regard, we cannot do so at the moment. I wanted to inform you of this necessary decision before I announced it to the Press.

I am therefore appealing to you directly to recognise that a great deal had been achieved by your presence here outside St Paulís but that, in order that we might re-open the Cathedral as speedily as possible, we ask you to withdraw peacefully. We are concerned about public safety in terms of evacuation and fire hazards and the consequent knock-on effects which this has with regards to visitors.

St Paulís, through its Institute and place in the City, will continue to encourage debate on many of the issues you are concerned about. In the meantime, by withdrawing peacefully, you will enable us to re-open the Cathedral for people to use for prayer, worship and reflection as soon as we possibly can.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:22 PM

dang.... kinda ironic.