Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Old 10-20-2011, 03:36 PM
3dlee

Default Who do you want to see as the Republican Presidential Candidate?

I know from reading around here that there are quite a few conservatives on thsese boards. Who do you want to win the nomination? Personally, I like Ron Paul the most. Theres some stuff about him that I dont favor, but he seems like the best option for my tastes. Hes not getting a lot of coverage though and it appears Romney has a stranglehold at the top since Perry kinda flopped. Who do you like?

just so ya know, I will be voting for ABO... anybody but obama.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:22 PM
rearnakedchoke

i think romney is going to take it, but that is just my opinion .. although BHO's ratings are low, i still think he pulls out a second term ...
Old 10-20-2011, 05:34 PM
Twinsmama

what do you guys think of the fact that he is mormon? he's said in articles that he doesn't believe that religion should have a part in deciding who it going to run the country. (romney i'm talking about)

but yes i'm ABO too
Old 10-20-2011, 05:44 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinsmama View Post
what do you guys think of the fact that he is mormon? he's said in articles that he doesn't believe that religion should have a part in deciding who it going to run the country. (romney i'm talking about)

but yes i'm ABO too
i don't think most conservative voters care he is mormon, as long as he has the ability to beat obama ... i don't have numbers but i am sure many mormons as well as christians are republicans, so it seems they share the same views on many things ..
Old 10-20-2011, 06:06 PM
Dethbob

I like the fact that Herman Cain isnít afraid to be an Old School conservative, and it would be a pleasure to vote for him in the general. I do think that Mitt knows the game better and might be able to pull out the w, which I guess is OK, I donít hate him.

As for the Mormon thing, Clinton has much better Christian credentials than Romney but there is no way Iím voting for her!

I donít think Ron Paul has a clear picture about how the world actually works; I think it would be dangerous to put him in charge.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:25 PM
County Mike

None of the potential candidates that I wanted are even running. I would have liked to see Arizona's Jan Brewer or Allen West (Texas I think, maybe he's from Florida).

This election scares me. I'm afraid the Republicans don't have anyone with enough charisma to win over the general population. Their candidates might be better suited for the job, but that doesn't mean the mass-ignorance of American public will vote for them.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:38 PM
Dethbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
Their candidates might be better suited for the job, but that doesn't mean the mass-ignorance of American public will vote for them.
Hit the nail on the head. Too many people think the voting booth is a place to work out their daddy issues or to wonder what Lady Gaga would do. A boring old guy whose only qualification is that he has accomplished something in life and actually knows what heís doing doesnít stand a chance.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:38 PM
Chris F

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
i don't think most conservative voters care he is mormon, as long as he has the ability to beat obama ... i don't have numbers but i am sure many mormons as well as christians are republicans, so it seems they share the same views on many things ..
To win the GOP nomination you must win the Christian right and they do not like Roomney at all because he is a Mormon. Most GOP can careless nut 90% of the Christian right do. However the alternative is not much prettier. Perry is trying to court them but his lifestlye does not match his rhetoric. Cain is close but most are leaning Bachman at the moment, but she is loosing steam. Ron Paul is the most constitutionally sound man for the job but he would not bow to big business and thus has a major strike there. He is also all for legalizing many drugs and that does not sit with the Christian right. So when the dust clears it will be another spinless canidiate like McCain was and Obama will trounce them in the generals and we will be stuck with Obama for another 4 years.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:43 PM
3dlee

I gotta disagree with those that think Obama will be reelected. 2012 seems like prime time to be a Republican as long as Donald Trump stays out of things. Last year's midterm elections really showed a surge for the GOP. I think B.O.'s party is abandoning him. If they really could nominate a different candidate, I would see a strong surge in not even having him run for anothe term. And all those people that were crazy about how things would be if Obama won in 08, I doubt theyll even show to the polls this time. I hate to mention race on any forum as my point can be misconcieved some times, but in general, African Americans don't vote so much. GWB was reelected with I believe only 9% of the African American vote.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:04 AM
Chris F

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dlee View Post
I gotta disagree with those that think Obama will be reelected. 2012 seems like prime time to be a Republican as long as Donald Trump stays out of things. Last year's midterm elections really showed a surge for the GOP. I think B.O.'s party is abandoning him. If they really could nominate a different candidate, I would see a strong surge in not even having him run for anothe term. And all those people that were crazy about how things would be if Obama won in 08, I doubt theyll even show to the polls this time. I hate to mention race on any forum as my point can be misconcieved some times, but in general, African Americans don't vote so much. GWB was reelected with I believe only 9% of the African American vote.
The reason I say he will win is that Real conservatives will not vote for the joke the party machine nominates and many will vote for a third party or not show up at all. Much like what happen to Bush #1. Papa Bush showed he was not a true conservative and many flocked to third parties and Perot etc etc. It will happen again if the GOP nominate a joke like they have the last few times.