Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Entertainment

Old 10-06-2011, 01:33 PM
rearnakedchoke

Default RIP Steve Jobs

I put this in here, as i am sure a lot of the items he has helped create have given many people on this site some sort of entertainment ... Sad to see him go.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:55 PM
Administrator

Everyone on this forum is using a piece of computer hardware that Steve Jobs helped pioneer: the mouse.

A vast majority of people on this forum have paid money to watch, rent or purchase films from a studio that he helped build: PIXAR Animation.

He helped revolutionize home computing with the iMac and iBook.

He pulled digital music into the mainstream with the iPod.

He revolutionized cell phone technology with the iPhone and the industry has only recently caught up with him.

He created an entirely new market with the iPad - something that most people thought was going to be Apple's biggest embarrassment has revolutionized personal computing... again.

I think it will be decades before anyone can fill his shoes, if ever. I also fear that this might be the beginning of a long, slow decline for Apple.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:35 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Definitely very sad to see him go. Even though I never fully bought into Apple (still use a PC for my serious computing at home & at work), I do love my iPad & iPhone.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
Everyone on this forum is using a piece of computer hardware that Steve Jobs helped pioneer: the mouse.

A vast majority of people on this forum have paid money to watch, rent or purchase films from a studio that he helped build: PIXAR Animation.

He helped revolutionize home computing with the iMac and iBook.

He pulled digital music into the mainstream with the iPod.

He revolutionized cell phone technology with the iPhone and the industry has only recently caught up with him.

He created an entirely new market with the iPad - something that most people thought was going to be Apple's biggest embarrassment has revolutionized personal computing... again.

I think it will be decades before anyone can fill his shoes, if ever. I also fear that this might be the beginning of a long, slow decline for Apple.
Hopefully, not, Nate. They mentioned how they have a terrific team of people who all work to make his visions become reality so hopefully the guy he put in place when he stepped down in August can see them through this period. I imagine he already had more ideas set in motion before he stepped down.

What a great inspiration he is of what a person can do and achieve in such a short span of life.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:24 PM

I didn't know about the mouse, Nate. I'm glad you listed some of his accomplishments, Steve Jobs was a visionary and changed our culture forever.

It's sad that he had such a long, arduous struggle with his cancer and died far too young.

RIP Steve and my condolences to his family.

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 10-06-2011, 07:10 PM
matthughesfan21

He was only 56, but accomplished more in that short life than most ever have. He changed the world as we know it. Most people in America today(that have at least somewhat embraced technology) own something that Jobs helped create. And for those of you who like the Disney Pixar movies, he also played a huge part in that. And even if you own a Zune instead of an Ipod, or a Droid instead of the iPhone, those products wouldn't exist without the incredible innovation of Steve Jobs and Apple

Oh, and the morons at Westboro Church announced via Twitter that they will be picketing his funeral, this announcement was made with the app Twitter for iPhone, yes I repeat IPHONE!!!!!!Oh the irony.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:49 PM

He had an interesting life story. He was the illegitimate child of a Syrian college student father and an American college student mother. He was put up for adoption. The Jobs family was going to be turned down as the adoptive family because Mr. and Mrs. Jobs were not college-educated (the birth mother specified that the adoptive family must be college-educated). The Jobs were allowed to adopt Steve after they promised they would provide him with a college education. I wonder how things would have been different if abortion was legal at that time.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:06 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

I owned a portable mp3 player made by Intel back in 2000, sure was nice to have walking across Northwest Missouri State University's campus . The iPod was not the first portable digital audio device, but they did come up with the idea of the iTunes store, which was a Napster improvement.

I also owned a tablet PC back in 2003, which I think was a Toshiba. Still to this day, I don't see the point in a tablet PC. Every time somebody tries to show my how "cool", "simple", "amazing", etc. their iPad is, I always think of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZS8HqOGTbA

I'm far from an Apple user, but there's no denying this guy made a significant worldwide impact on technology. RIP
Old 10-07-2011, 09:24 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
I owned a portable mp3 player made by Intel back in 2000, sure was nice to have walking across Northwest Missouri State University's campus . The iPod was not the first portable digital audio device, but they did come up with the idea of the iTunes store, which was a Napster improvement.

I also owned a tablet PC back in 2003, which I think was a Toshiba. Still to this day, I don't see the point in a tablet PC. Every time somebody tries to show my how "cool", "simple", "amazing", etc. their iPad is, I always think of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZS8HqOGTbA

I'm far from an Apple user, but there's no denying this guy made a significant worldwide impact on technology. RIP
Of course MP3 players and tablet computers existed prior to the iPod and iPad, but Jobs' involvement brought them into the mainstream and made them into "must own" devices.

Jobs didn't invent the cellphone, he simply revolutionized it and took it to the next level with the iPhone.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:28 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man View Post
He had an interesting life story. He was the illegitimate child of a Syrian college student father and an American college student mother. He was put up for adoption. The Jobs family was going to be turned down as the adoptive family because Mr. and Mrs. Jobs were not college-educated (the birth mother specified that the adoptive family must be college-educated). The Jobs were allowed to adopt Steve after they promised they would provide him with a college education. I wonder how things would have been different if abortion was legal at that time.
It just goes to prove that children don't need to be a product of their circumstances.