Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 09-20-2011, 09:30 AM
Hughes fanboy

Default Tower of Babel and the origin on language

What do you think of this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85W1D...eature=related

Please consider England in your prayers!

http://www.intercessuk.org/iuk3/
Old 09-20-2011, 12:44 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Language is an oral form of symbolism, its just an outward expression of the way we think. They say that language developed from primative scripts, which were basically pictograms. Drawings that you could see and interpret. But to say that an evolutionary process happens in language does work beyond the obvious, that languages that stop being spoken die out. Also...some of the pictoral languages were not simple....neither are they today. Look at Some of the Meso American Cultures...I reckon their system of pictograms is MORE complex then most langages today.

Animals do communicate with each other...but not really in terms of a language. Spend enough time watching animals and you can almost understand what they are thinking and likely to do. But they dont communicate in language. they usually do it by expressing some kind of repetative or emotional behaviour.

For example...whenever I come home at lunch I can tell if Jojo the Canary wants to come out, because he will get up and cling on to the inside door of the cage. Jumping back up and down. He is indicating he wants to come out...and he also understands the word NO...because sometimes he wants to come out, and when I go right up to the cage and say No...he stops, and sulks. Similarly...he doesnt always want to come out and if I open the door at lunch and he hasnt indicated he wants to come out, he will just remain sitting on his perch.

We dont communicate useing vocal or written language, its done basically on instinct...and repatition...he has learned because I let him out a few times, that when I come in at lunch its an opportunity for him to come out. I have learned he will only come out when he wants to, and to wait for him to indicate he wants to before I bother.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:56 AM
Administrator

Language was handed down to the human race by GOD. All of the Evolutionary explanations for the "origins of language" are nothing more than guesswork and they are all nonsense.

Given the available evidence, the Tower of Babel account in Genesis is the most plausible explanation for the origins of all the languages on earth.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:15 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
Language was handed down to the human race by GOD. All of the Evolutionary explanations for the "origins of language" are nothing more than guesswork and they are all nonsense.

Given the available evidence, the Tower of Babel account in Genesis is the most plausible explanation for the origins of all the languages on earth.
Really...so GOD gave Txt speak at the tower of Babel did he???

No...Language changes...and infact at several points there has been historic creations of language like Espiranta...or when the printing press was developed and the English Language was modified on a national level to kill off the Olde English...or when the communist revolution occured in China and because of the complexity of the language only 20 percent of people could write...and so some Chinese man...still alive now at 106 years of age, developed an actual chinese alphabet to go alongside the characters...think a short form of chinese...which is what most of the worlds chinese population actually use.

NONE of those things were given at Babel...they were created and adapted by Mankind...that is more then enough evidence to show that language developes and changes and morphs.

This doesnt take away from Babel at all...it simply shows as with almost all things GODs work involves a progression...rather then an instant product...if that isnt taught to you by the growth needed to become more christlike I dont know what is...

but...obviously with your dogmatic views...you know best...as always.

The ONLY likely language to actually have been personally given to Man by GOD is Hebrew...possibly. The Bible does not state what language was spoken in Eden. The Bible does not state what languages existed after the fall. The Bible says nothing about language until the confusion caused at Babel...and it doesnt say anything about Hebrew at all. That is guess work, based on the fact that Hebrew is the language this record is written in...for all we know GOD taught Noah Hebrew for the very first time AFTER the deluge.

You can guess all you want. At least my views are based on how we can see language develope and change around us now. Your views are based on absolutely nothing substantial...nothing written in plain text in the Bible...but an assumption...which could be wrong.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:50 PM
Chris F

Txt speak dave is nothing more than slang it is not any recognized language. The basic foundation of language has several basic platforms that all language comes from. The rest is merely regionalism and variates of the original language. All countries languages can be traced to one of the original four. Which no doubt started at the tower of babel (but not linguist would admit that)
Old 10-17-2011, 10:28 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris F View Post
Txt speak dave is nothing more than slang it is not any recognized language. The basic foundation of language has several basic platforms that all language comes from. The rest is merely regionalism and variates of the original language. All countries languages can be traced to one of the original four. Which no doubt started at the tower of babel (but not linguist would admit that)
Which four bases

My point was that language can change...you call it regionalized slang...but in a few generations the chances are quite high that people will most often use it in writing, rather then the actual English itself...if it happens enough, the original language can be lost all together...my point is that languages progress and they change over time.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:20 PM
Chris F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
Which four bases

My point was that language can change...you call it regionalized slang...but in a few generations the chances are quite high that people will most often use it in writing, rather then the actual English itself...if it happens enough, the original language can be lost all together...my point is that languages progress and they change over time.
Take a class and linguistics and you will learn all you need to know. When I was in school this was taught to every kid in English class. Now most people are clueless as to what it all means. In fact you ask the majority of American high school grads about it they seem to think all language came from English. Today's pubic schools do not teach classically anymore they prefer to take the state test and teach them to pass it so they can get the tax dollars from the feds.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:26 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Take a class and linguistics and you will learn all you need to know. When I was in school this was taught to every kid in English class. Now most people are clueless as to what it all means. In fact you ask the majority of American high school grads about it they seem to think all language came from English. Today's pubic schools do not teach classically anymore they prefer to take the state test and teach them to pass it so they can get the tax dollars from the feds.
Sorry...dont have time or money...just give me the four bases and I'll research the rest for myself.

Im assuming pictogram/cuniform, the Arabic scripts, Greco/Roman and Russian...but that would be a guess
Old 10-18-2011, 03:33 AM
Chris F

What your asking is for me to explain a month long class in 4 words. Not possible. There are countless theories. Anthropological vs comparative etc etc. You will need to do your own research and I am sure a simple Google search will avail all you need to get basic origins.

The bible makes the most since and is much easier to accept than then hoops linguistic analysis put your through. So if you want a more complicated answer than read the bible than you will need to hunt it out yourself. I am simply sharing the junk I was taught in college.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:46 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
What your asking is for me to explain a month long class in 4 words. Not possible. There are countless theories. Anthropological vs comparative etc etc. You will need to do your own research and I am sure a simple Google search will avail all you need to get basic origins.

The bible makes the most since and is much easier to accept than then hoops linguistic analysis put your through. So if you want a more complicated answer than read the bible than you will need to hunt it out yourself. I am simply sharing the junk I was taught in college.
No I'm not.

You said all languages were derived from four base languages...

I asked you to list the names of the four Languages.

If you dont know them say so...but its silly to volunteer something into a discussion when you cant back that up.

I was genuinely interested because ive never heard of it before...but your refusal to write the four names just makes me think its something you've made up

I wasnt asking for detailed knowledge...I was asking for you to list the four base languages you claimed exist...even if its only one theory out of a billion....that doesnt matter.