Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Entertainment

Old 09-19-2011, 01:55 PM
rearnakedchoke

Default The Koran by Heart

Saw the documentary the other day ... kids from all over the world compete in this competition in cairo to recite the koran from memory .. pretty crazy .. i found it funny that some of the kids were only taught the koran and knew rarely anything else ... i also didn't know that you can't just read it, but have to chant it (or sing it) ... i don't think anyone will run out to get a copy, heck, it just happened to be on hbo when i was flipping through the channels ...
Old 09-19-2011, 08:03 PM
Administrator

From what I understand, back in Jesus' day, Jewish children would have memorized the entire Torah (that's Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers AND Deuteronomy) by the time they were 12 years old. Their mastery of the Torah would then determine whether they were taken on by a Rabbi to continue to learn and eventually become a Rabbi, Scribe or Pharisee.

Contrast that with Christians today where you are lucky if the average high school graduate has memorized John 3:16. And by that, I mean just the phrase "John 3:16" and not necessarily the Bible verse that it refers to.

I think pluralism and cultural tolerance really just results in children becoming stupider. More tolerant of course, but that's only because they lack the intelligent and mental capacity to form convictions.