Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Old 09-11-2011, 08:46 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Default Why has a permanent memorial to United 93 taken so long?

Its been a decade since the attack and they dedicated the permanent memorial to flight United 93...today

Now forgive me for picking bones here...but Both Houses of Congress were in session on the morning of 9/11/2001 What do you think would have happened if that plane had reached its target?

Because the successful part of the September attacks were the civilian targets, your Government still had a fully functioning ability...the Pentagon, whilst hit was not irreparably damaged like New York...and the Dome of the Congress Building in which sits your entire Federal Government was unscathed.

I am a bit taken aback that both the Bush Administration and the Obama Administration failed to consider what would have occured if the passengers of United 93 had not decided they would rather risk distroying the plane and themselves, then waiting for the plane to strike its intended target, which considering President Bush was NOT at the White House, its more likely that the large Saint Paul's Shaped Building across the other side of the National Mall which was busy in the act of Union Governance was the true target.

Had that building been distroyed along with the vast majoirity of United States Senators on a Federal Level, the response of the United States would have been markedly different...and quite possibly the quick military response in afghanistan might have been delayed...leading to more attacks as the United States would have to sort some kind of working, valid, interim Government AS WELL AS, coordinating support for the worst Civilian attack ever to occure on home soil.

...yet it takes them a decade to consecrate the crash site and set up a permanent memorial???

I dont mean to be disrespectful...but even the British Government managed to build a permanent 9/11 tribute memorial in the square outside of the American Embassy in the time its taken for your Government to do this....

Does anyone know specifically why this took so long? was their opposition? was their a trouble with funding?? Was the State Government which owned the land difficult about it??

Its ironic that this target was specifically political..and its taken ten years for the political response. I wrongly assumed that the first thing the Americans would do in such an event would be to build some kind of small memorial on the site. Thats kind of expected.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:58 PM

This is JUST my own opinion, don't want to step on any toes here.

Dave, believe me, the Bush administration did NOT fail to consider the consequences of United 93 hitting its intended target. They knew what was saved and what was lost. Did you watch President Bush's speech at the memorial in Pennsylvania yesterday? The federal government is not responsible for building a memorial on the site, that is up to the citizens and politicians of New York City.

I think they (NY politicians) decided they would be politically correct in all aspects of the memorial - planning, designing, building, the dedication ceremony. Look, Bloomberg banned any clergy from having an official presence there. I'm sure during the planning they took great PAINS not to offend any person, animal, plant, inanimate object, etc., etc. If I was in charge, I would have rebuilt those towers ASAP followed by a suitable memorial. I think that could have been accomplished in 2 years - 3 at most.

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 09-11-2011, 09:01 PM

I mean, FFS - we built the Panama Canal in 10 years, and that was with the technology at the turn of the century.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:42 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
The federal government is not responsible for building a memorial on the site, that is up to the citizens and politicians of New York City.
No...Ive done research...apparently the land owner of the field in which the aircraft crashed was a coal company...they allowed a temporary structure for years when the State leased the land...but they refused to sell the land to the State, or the National Parks Service....infact in 2008 they cut the lease and the whole temporary structure had to be moved out of the field and across the road!! The coal company wanted an extortinate price for the land...and yes...by this time Congress WAS involved, and several senators were trying to get settlements.

The landowners aggreed to go to Court for the Judicial service to decide what should be paid for the land.

The park service got the land, and invested $60million into a permanent memorial...they got 20 million from the locals, 15 million from the Commonwealth of Pensylvania, and the Union gave all but the final 10 million needed.

The Dedication has happened, but the permanent memorial is not finished...they are still short by $10million....

This is horrible...I wish I didnt know about this... that land owner should have been named and shamed.

Michael Svonavec...well he appeared to be the treasurer and spokes man for the company. God help me...I feel another video rant and another spell of letter writing coming on
Old 09-11-2011, 10:20 PM

Sorry, Dave, for some reason I thought you were speaking about the 9/11 memorial in NYC. You know more than I do about the delays with the memorial at Shanksville. That is just disgusting, if that's true, I didn't know anything about the property. I watched the ceremony yesterday and saw it was now Park Service land and that President Clinton and Speaker Boehner just agreed to jointly raise the balance of the money needed for the memorial. It's a scandal that it has taken this long, I think the story of the heroes of flight 93 are unique in that they were regular people, it wasn't their job to fight or rescue others. I will never, ever forget their faces or their stories.

Yes, I agree those greedy landowner !@#$%^&s should be named - then tarred and feathered for trying to maximize their profit at the expense of the victims, their families and the citizens of PA.

Last edited by flo; 09-11-2011 at 10:26 PM.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:22 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
No...Ive done research...apparently the land owner of the field in which the aircraft crashed was a coal company...they allowed a temporary structure for years when the State leased the land...but they refused to sell the land to the State, or the National Parks Service....infact in 2008 they cut the lease and the whole temporary structure had to be moved out of the field and across the road!! The coal company wanted an extortinate price for the land...and yes...by this time Congress WAS involved, and several senators were trying to get settlements.

The landowners aggreed to go to Court for the Judicial service to decide what should be paid for the land.

The park service got the land, and invested $60million into a permanent memorial...they got 20 million from the locals, 15 million from the Commonwealth of Pensylvania, and the Union gave all but the final 10 million needed.

The Dedication has happened, but the permanent memorial is not finished...they are still short by $10million....

This is horrible...I wish I didnt know about this... that land owner should have been named and shamed.

Michael Svonavec...well he appeared to be the treasurer and spokes man for the company. God help me...I feel another video rant and another spell of letter writing coming on
Ah, so this is why Obama wants us to no longer use coal for energy!
Old 09-11-2011, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
Lord love you, Dave.

Old 09-11-2011, 10:59 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Lord love you, Dave.
Well...I had no idea about this...and I watched some of the ceremony myself and I just kept thinking...they get missed out of the 9/11 story so much...Infact I think all the passengers, on all the planes get missed out...I also think that people forget that a huge proportion of people who died in the towers DID NOT WORK THERE!

People in England dont understand that the lower half of the towers were evacuated and cleared...and then the emergency services went in...and as soon as they were all in the towers fell down on top of them...and they forget those planes that went into the towers and pentagon were full of passengers....

...Everyone assumed there was a memorial (at the United 93 site) ...we never once thought that there wasnt...but noone bothered checking...for several years they only had a chainlink fence to hang flags on and stuff... that makes me sad..and makes me very angry at the land owner...
Old 09-11-2011, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
Ah, so this is why Obama wants us to no longer use coal for energy!

It all makes sense now!

Old 09-12-2011, 03:01 AM

Quote:
I watched the ceremony yesterday and saw it was now Park Service land and that President Clinton and Speaker Boehner just agreed to jointly raise the balance of the money needed for the memorial. It's a scandal that it has taken this long, I think the story of the heroes of flight 93 are unique in that they were regular people, it wasn't their job to fight or rescue others. I will never, ever forget their faces or their stories.
I watched yesterday's memorial unveiling for Flight 93 also and saw President Bush's speech and President Clinton's speech and thought both of them did an excellent job. President Clinton said he was "aghast" to find out they are still $10 million short in order to complete the memorial at Shanksville and he and Speaker Boehner are going to do a big fundraiser. I was shocked when they mentioned that they have had no corporate donations to date for this memorial. I think with President Clinton on board now they'll get the rest of the money they need to complete it.