Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > Announcements > Site Ideas

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-24-2009, 07:02 PM
medic92
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Time to start a politics forum?

It seems that politics enter into the Woodshed on a fairly regular basis. What about starting a separate forum just for politics so those who aren't interested won't have to wade through the rest of us putting the liberals in their place?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-24-2009, 08:54 PM
Moose
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Cosigned. Trust me, if there's a politics forum around here, I'll avoid it at all costs.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-24-2009, 08:55 PM
County Mike
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I'll avoid political and religious debates. Nobody ever changes their mind and sooner or later, feelings get hurt.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-24-2009, 09:16 PM
medic92
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike
I'll avoid political and religious debates. Nobody ever changes their mind and sooner or later, feelings get hurt.
While I think it's rare that any political belief is changed, it does happen. I've changed my stances based on forum debates and I have one vivid memory of a gentleman whose username was PTBAL (proud to be a liberal) who did a complete 180 and became one of the most adamant conservatives on my forum at the time.

It does happen.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-24-2009, 10:05 PM
Chuck
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by medic92
While I think it's rare that any political belief is changed, it does happen. I've changed my stances based on forum debates and I have one vivid memory of a gentleman whose username was PTBAL (proud to be a liberal) who did a complete 180 and became one of the most adamant conservatives on my forum at the time.

It does happen.
Not to mention there have been people who have became Christians as a direct result of this forum.


Like you said... it does happen.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-24-2009, 11:41 PM
logrus
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Why dont we just call it the itch / cryfest because lets face it, thats all thats going in there.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-24-2009, 11:42 PM
medic92
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by logrus
Why dont we just call it the itch / cryfest because lets face it, thats all thats going in there.
Sounds good to me.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-25-2009, 01:49 AM
mikthehick
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Basically, medic, you are right. People tend to get super emotional online where it's pretty easy to talk to a computer screen. They've done psychological studies on it, and have found out that people share more since the computer isn't judgmental. (If you need the scholastic ariticles, I'll find them for you in the databases at my universities)....

But what some don't understand is looking emotional doesn't help the cause usually, just makes people look like crybabies. imo anyway. I would say no to a political forum because i dealt with one and it wasn't pretty. If people are passionate about politics, they should get involved locally and/or visit the politics based websites. But that's just my opinion. Seems like on here, people waste their time trying to change minds, but it ain't happening.

I can't say that I waste time in the woodshed anymore, especially when there is so much drama happening in the MMA world!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-25-2009, 03:00 AM
logrus
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikthehick
Basically, medic, you are right. People tend to get super emotional online where it's pretty easy to talk to a computer screen. They've done psychological studies on it, and have found out that people share more since the computer isn't judgmental. (If you need the scholastic ariticles, I'll find them for you in the databases at my universities)....

But what some don't understand is looking emotional doesn't help the cause usually, just makes people look like crybabies. imo anyway. I would say no to a political forum because i dealt with one and it wasn't pretty. If people are passionate about politics, they should get involved locally and/or visit the politics based websites. But that's just my opinion. Seems like on here, people waste their time trying to change minds, but it ain't happening.

I can't say that I waste time in the woodshed anymore, especially when there is so much drama happening in the MMA world!
You know what it is, I see that stuff on all day at work. I hear it on my drive. Talk it over in my history class. The last thing I want to do is visit the MMA forums to see yet another cryfest about something else Obama did.

Really most of what I see if not all is just an inside attack at our president.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-25-2009, 03:21 AM
mikthehick
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by logrus
You know what it is, I see that stuff on all day at work. I hear it on my drive. Talk it over in my history class. The last thing I want to do is visit the MMA forums to see yet another cryfest about something else Obama did.

Really most of what I see if not all is just an inside attack at our president.
Completely agree with ya there buddy. I discuss this stuff almost daily with my dad, esp. b/c he's so vested in the military actions overseas.

While I may not care for Mr. Obama's policies or his cabinent, we should as American citizens respect the president no matter what.

As I've said before, you couldn't pay me to have his job.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.