Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #91  
Old 09-18-2011, 10:10 PM
cheachea
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

The following is information about the Waldensians we were speaking about earlier.


"In May 1655 the Catholic Duke of Savoy unleashed a vicious persecution against the Protestant Huguenots in the Vadois (or Waldenses’) Valley. Newspapers in England reported “a devilish crew of priests and Jesuits leading unspeakable atrocities” against their Protestant brethren. Oliver Cromwell immediately sent an agent to the scene whose report verified the persecution. The Lord Protector headed a subscription list that raised several hundred thousand pounds for the relief of the Waldensian victims. He then brought pressure to bear upon the Duke to stop the campaign. The threat of mobilizing English Navy and the New Model Army quickly sobered the Duke of Savoy and the Waldensians survive to this day."

Source : http://www.reformationsa.org/article...20Cromwell.htm
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 09-18-2011, 10:12 PM
cheachea
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Thanks for showing me I had the wrong Cromwell there.
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 09-18-2011, 10:13 PM
cheachea
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Oliver Cromwell did protect Protestants though.
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 09-18-2011, 10:33 PM
Tyburn's Avatar
Tyburn Tyburn is offline
Angry @ Injustice!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: England
Posts: 16,982
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheachea View Post
The following is information about the Waldensians we were speaking about earlier.


"In May 1655 the Catholic Duke of Savoy unleashed a vicious persecution against the Protestant Huguenots in the Vadois (or Waldenses’) Valley. Newspapers in England reported “a devilish crew of priests and Jesuits leading unspeakable atrocities” against their Protestant brethren. Oliver Cromwell immediately sent an agent to the scene whose report verified the persecution. The Lord Protector headed a subscription list that raised several hundred thousand pounds for the relief of the Waldensian victims. He then brought pressure to bear upon the Duke to stop the campaign. The threat of mobilizing English Navy and the New Model Army quickly sobered the Duke of Savoy and the Waldensians survive to this day."

Source : http://www.reformationsa.org/article...20Cromwell.htm
Oh yes...well it goes without saying that Oliver Cromwell Hated Roman Catholics...he also hated Anglicans and Presbyterians...but he was alright with all other denominations of Christianity...and would be alright with Anglicans and Presbyterians IF they didnt want to exclude other denominations by nationalizing themselves.

But that doesnt change the fact that The Lord Protectorate is about Protecting the British Lands and the Military Dictatorship. It does NOT mean Protecting Protestants...some he would...some he most definately would not
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 09-18-2011, 10:36 PM
Tyburn's Avatar
Tyburn Tyburn is offline
Angry @ Injustice!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: England
Posts: 16,982
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheachea View Post
Oliver Cromwell did protect Protestants though.
He protected SOME Protestants.

The Protectorate, that Title, was his Form of Military Government...NOT a descriptive term of his Care to anyone but himself and his own personal views.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 09-18-2011, 10:55 PM
Tyburn's Avatar
Tyburn Tyburn is offline
Angry @ Injustice!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: England
Posts: 16,982
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheachea View Post
Thanks for showing me I had the wrong Cromwell there.
Your welcome..be careful of Thomas aswell...because aswell as more and cromwell...there was also cramner...an archbishop who was Protestant...and got the chop after Henry but before Elizabeth....and there was another Thomas Beckett...who was alive long, long, long before that...

He was Arch Bishop of Canterbury...when Canterbury was a Roman Diocise, He had a habit of excommunicating people he dissagreed with. Several Bishops crowned a king without him being there, and he went mad and excommunicated them all. The King said in court "will no one rid me of this dissagreeable man"



Some in the court believed that the King was serious...and several Knights went into Canterbury Cathedral, they were very mean to him and ordered him about. He told them to bog off, so they went and returned later with their weapons and they killed him and hurt others in the Cathedral Nave.

He had a beautiful memorial made for him...which the Protestants vandalized during the reformation so badly, it was removed. I dont care what denomination you are...vandalism of Holy Relics is repulsive and horrible...and poor Thomas Beckett did not deserve to have his grave trashed by Anti-Papists.

So just you remember...Rome isnt the only guilty party in Christianity.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 09-18-2011, 11:34 PM
cheachea
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
Your welcome..be careful of Thomas aswell...because aswell as more and cromwell...there was also cramner...an archbishop who was Protestant...and got the chop after Henry but before Elizabeth....and there was another Thomas Beckett...who was alive long, long, long before that...

He was Arch Bishop of Canterbury...when Canterbury was a Roman Diocise, He had a habit of excommunicating people he dissagreed with. Several Bishops crowned a king without him being there, and he went mad and excommunicated them all. The King said in court "will no one rid me of this dissagreeable man"



Some in the court believed that the King was serious...and several Knights went into Canterbury Cathedral, they were very mean to him and ordered him about. He told them to bog off, so they went and returned later with their weapons and they killed him and hurt others in the Cathedral Nave.

He had a beautiful memorial made for him...which the Protestants vandalized during the reformation so badly, it was removed. I dont care what denomination you are...vandalism of Holy Relics is repulsive and horrible...and poor Thomas Beckett did not deserve to have his grave trashed by Anti-Papists.

So just you remember...Rome isnt the only guilty party in Christianity.


I understand what you mean, but at the same time I can understand there extreme hatred for Idols. I'm not saying it was right, but at the same time idolatry is an abomination to The Lord.
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 09-19-2011, 12:15 AM
Tyburn's Avatar
Tyburn Tyburn is offline
Angry @ Injustice!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: England
Posts: 16,982
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheachea View Post
I understand what you mean, but at the same time I can understand there extreme hatred for Idols. I'm not saying it was right, but at the same time idolatry is an abomination to The Lord.
If you ever get to England, visit Durham Cathedral...it was one of the worst hit by the Reformation, probably because its north of York and so...lawless slightly

The Protestants burst into the Cathedral and knocked all the heads of all the statues. The Church of England still has these headless Statues all over the Cathedral. They also did things like scratch out the eyes of saints in paintings and the likes.

Mindless vandalism that did nothing to push their cause..though I'm sure Nathan Rosario would put it down to a heavy case of "Righteous anger"
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.