Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Old 09-01-2011, 11:44 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

Default wooton Bassett taken off Repatriation Route

I posted about this place once before. I lies on the route that all dead Military people travel between the base and wherever they end up resting. At first the town did nothing, then slowly they began to have a ceremony.

Four years later its a national centre for the mourning and thanksgiving of fallen troops. However...due to spending cuts and the likes, the government has moved the incoming caskets to a different base.

So the Town Gathered for a final time Yesterday....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-yxkBwvU_I
Old 09-02-2011, 07:31 AM

A touching story. Thank you for posting. A genuine, bottom-up, patriotic movement shouldn't be derailed. It is precious. They should not have moved the location in my opinion. Penny-wise, pound-foolish.

By the way, Tyburn, I recently purchased a poppy lapel pin from the Royal British Legion. It arrived this week. I'll wear it with pride on our Memorial Day.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:34 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man View Post
A touching story. Thank you for posting. A genuine, bottom-up, patriotic movement shouldn't be derailed. It is precious. They should not have moved the location in my opinion. Penny-wise, pound-foolish.

By the way, Tyburn, I recently purchased a poppy lapel pin from the Royal British Legion. It arrived this week. I'll wear it with pride on our Memorial Day.
I think it was only ever planned to be a short term move to the base near wooton...and so they are simply moving it back...but I'm not really sure.

They didnt know when they planned to move it to the base near Wooton that the community would respond like that...in England, we rarely even greet returning troops...let alone the deceased.

I watched the flag lowering ceremony on the TV...it was short and simple...but rather nice also...The Queen is so pleased that she plans to visit later in the Autumn and bestow an affix upon the town. She will in Essence present the Town with a New Charter including the Affix...changing the name to Royal Wooton Basset because she believes that they have done spontaneous service to their Country on a Civilian Basis...In Her Majesties Understanding, Monarchy is all about Service to ones Nation and the Citizens within it. So it is a very high recognition...this is the sort of choice which is purely of the Queens descretion...the British Government do not have the power to re-name, it just goes to show that little acts of kindness...because thats what it was...can spiral and become noticed.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:41 PM
Crisco

God save the queen!
Old 09-02-2011, 07:32 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco View Post
God save the queen!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml6R-6qb7OY

Old 09-02-2011, 07:38 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:

I will get my Poppy at the start of November...for our Remembrance Day is on November 11th...

Exactly two months after...

What will the Obama Administration do to mark the Decade Solemnity of 9/11
Old 09-02-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
They didnt know when they planned to move it to the base near Wooton that the community would respond like that...in England, we rarely even greet returning troops...let alone the deceased.
I think the fact that it was spontaneous and came from the citizenry (bottom-up), rather than a government-sponsored, planned, top-down event was one of the aspects that made it special. You need to encourage things like that in society (or at least leave them alone). Forget the budget cuts in this case. This is more important than budget cuts. They are snuffing out an ember of patriotism in a country that desperately needs it.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
I will get my Poppy at the start of November...for our Remembrance Day is on November 11th...

Exactly two months after...

What will the Obama Administration do to mark the Decade Solemnity of 9/11
November 11th is Veterans Day for us. Our Memorial Day is the end of May.

This is the Poppy lapel pin that I ordered: http://www.poppyshop.org.uk/jeweller...lapel-pin.html

The VFW (Veterans of Foreign Wars) give out cloth poppies on Memorial Day but they are rather cheaply made.

I dread to see what Obama will do to remember 9/11. I saw a news story about a press release issued by the Obama administration. It tried to make 9/11 into a global event - tying it in with other terror events and minimizing the fact that Muslims committed the atrocity.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:04 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
I think the fact that it was spontaneous and came from the citizenry (bottom-up), rather than a government-sponsored, planned, top-down event was one of the aspects that made it special. You need to encourage things like that in society (or at least leave them alone). Forget the budget cuts in this case. This is more important than budget cuts. They are snuffing out an ember of patriotism in a country that desperately needs it.
They are trying to build some type of Garden thang for the Cortege to pass through at the other base...but...like you say...the whole thing about Wooton was that it appeared from nowhere
Old 09-02-2011, 08:16 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
November 11th is Veterans Day for us. Our Memorial Day is the end of May.

This is the Poppy lapel pin that I ordered: http://www.poppyshop.org.uk/jeweller...lapel-pin.html

The VFW (Veterans of Foreign Wars) give out cloth poppies on Memorial Day but they are rather cheaply made.

I dread to see what Obama will do to remember 9/11. I saw a news story about a press release issued by the Obama administration. It tried to make 9/11 into a global event - tying it in with other terror events and minimizing the fact that Muslims committed the atrocity.
I'm not sure how I would market such a commemoration if I was an American Administration. I know they have an annual Ceremony where they get relatives to receit the names of everyone who died, performed at the site...which is nice...but after Ten Years...there warrents something different, and if done properly it could help with unity, rather then Mourning...I would keep the ceremony they have for that....but do something else.

I think I would invite the Local Bishops to do some kind of dedication service, perhaps even consecrate the land, if they havent done already which they SHOULD because lots of peoples bodies were never recovered, meaning, they still, in essence lie there, and burrial Grounds are supposed to be Consecrated.

I think I would also invite dignitaries of all those countries who supported the war effort along, and there would be one hell of a Procession for that. I would also get the local fire and emergency services to Parade along with members of the armed forces who had been deployed.

I would bring New York City to a complete standstill by making this march or parade go through the most busy parts of the City and the most inappropriate times of the day.

So I would do the procession through the city in the Morning Rush Hour. I would have the receitation going on at the time it took place on the day. Then I would do...something which I havent yet thought about. Have the big Service in the afternoon, which would be broadcast around the city, and indeed I would have video links with the other sites that were attacked on the same day which always seem to be forgotten. Then at Rush Hour on the Evening, I would have the Procession out of the city.

But...then im not the Mayor of New York...but thats what I would do...it would be low budgit, reasonably easy to coordinate...and I would have planned it right after last years commemoration

Oh....there would be flag ceremonies also, lots of flags, lots of wreath layings...perhaps that would be part of the service for those Foreign Dignitaries to lay Wreaths.

We'd Certainly do Sunset

I bet the Obama Administration dont do anything as...well...nevermind