Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Training/Nutrition

Old 07-22-2011, 03:17 PM

Default Getting Started

Ok so Im 26 years old Im 5' 7" and on a good day I could weigh up to 135lbs.

I haven't been to a gym in probably almost 3 years. My goal is to gain some muscle and bulk up a little. My question to you guys is how do I get started?
My goal is to be like or at least close to Urijah Fabers body type.(LoL I know im pushing it a little) What should I start doing? How does one just start working out? I mean I weigh the same as he does and I'm about the same height but if you put me next to him I probably look like a Flyweight and he looks like Brock Lesnar!

I know a major key is Dieting but How should I start my training.....
Old 07-22-2011, 03:26 PM
County Mike

If you want to add muscle, eat a lot of calories (lots of protein, don't be afraid of carbs either) and lift heavy. If you can do 10 reps without a real struggle, add more weight. In my opinion, 6-8 reps is where you want to be. Getting 8 should be difficult. You have to shock your body to make it stronger. After doing your heavy weights, it's OK to lighten and do reps but get your bulk on before you go for high reps.

Work the large muscle groups hard: Chest, Back, Shoulders, legs. Heavy weight with decent rest between sets. Hit each large muscle group about once per week (give at least 3 days rest before hittin the same muscle group. Recovery is important.)
Old 07-22-2011, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
If you want to add muscle, eat a lot of calories (lots of protein, don't be afraid of carbs either) and lift heavy. If you can do 10 reps without a real struggle, add more weight. In my opinion, 6-8 reps is where you want to be. Getting 8 should be difficult. You have to shock your body to make it stronger. After doing your heavy weights, it's OK to lighten and do reps but get your bulk on before you go for high reps.

Work the large muscle groups hard: Chest, Back, Shoulders, legs. Heavy weight with decent rest between sets. Hit each large muscle group about once per week (give at least 3 days rest before hittin the same muscle group. Recovery is important.)
Thank's Mike. So should I try lifting as much as I can from the start? Or should I ease my why into it?

How many 6-8 reps should I do in each Muscle group?

Old 07-22-2011, 03:55 PM
Dethbob

If you're just starting out, it will be important to toughen up, especially if you're going to be hitting big weight. I would recommend a running on 'real' surfaces, not treadmill, a couple of miles at a time, three to five miles a week, and mix that with calisthenics, as many different kinds as you can think of, as much as you can stand.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:24 PM
County Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavierDLC View Post
Thank's Mike. So should I try lifting as much as I can from the start? Or should I ease my why into it?

How many 6-8 reps should I do in each Muscle group?

If you're not sure how much weight to use, it's probably better to guess on the light side. If it's too easy, you know to add weight. After the first week or two you should have a pretty good idea what your 6-8 rep weights are. I usually try to do 4 sets. One warm up set with lighter weight (still only do about 8 reps) followed by 3 heavy sets for each exercise. I would try to do at least 3 exercises per large muscle group.

For example, with chest I would do Incline DB Press, Flat DB Press, Flys.
For back: Lat pull downs with wide grip, pull downs with close grip, Bent over DB rows.
Shoulders: Seated Vertical DB Press, Lateral DB raises, Shrugs
Legs: Squats, Deadlifts, Leg Presses (usually add calf raises as well)

Cardio is still something you want to keep but I wouldn't do long distance running or ultra endurance type stuff. That will hinder muscle growth. It's great for your heart and lungs but not for adding muscle bulk.

You might also want to supplement with creatine. One of the few supplements that really does work.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
If you're not sure how much weight to use, it's probably better to guess on the light side. If it's too easy, you know to add weight. After the first week or two you should have a pretty good idea what your 6-8 rep weights are. I usually try to do 4 sets. One warm up set with lighter weight (still only do about 8 reps) followed by 3 heavy sets for each exercise. I would try to do at least 3 exercises per large muscle group.

For example, with chest I would do Incline DB Press, Flat DB Press, Flys.
For back: Lat pull downs with wide grip, pull downs with close grip, Bent over DB rows.
Shoulders: Seated Vertical DB Press, Lateral DB raises, Shrugs
Legs: Squats, Deadlifts, Leg Presses (usually add calf raises as well)

Cardio is still something you want to keep but I wouldn't do long distance running or ultra endurance type stuff. That will hinder muscle growth. It's great for your heart and lungs but not for adding muscle bulk.

You might also want to supplement with creatine. One of the few supplements that really does work.
Thank You Mike!!!

This is great Info !!!!
I shall start this week!!
Old 07-26-2011, 04:22 PM
rearnakedchoke

all good advice .. just cuz urijah looks the way he does, doesn't mean you will .. genetics plays a big part in how you are going to grow and look ... but that just means you may have to work harder than most to pack on the muscle .. but you will get there ...
Old 07-26-2011, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
all good advice .. just cuz urijah looks the way he does, doesn't mean you will .. genetics plays a big part in how you are going to grow and look ... but that just means you may have to work harder than most to pack on the muscle .. but you will get there ...
LoL I know Bro I just wanted to give so what of an example