Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 08-25-2011, 07:14 PM

Default Fallen Navy Seal's Loyal Best Friend

Heartwarming and heartbreaking. See the pictures, video and full story with the link:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...n-funeral.html

Quote:
Labrador retriever Hawkeye was at emotional service

This heart-wrenching photo shows how a Navy SEALís dog refused to leave his masterís side during an emotional funeral. Petty Officer Jon Tumilson, 35, killed in the major U.S. helicopter crash in Afghanistan this month, was remembered by around 1,500 mourners. But it was his Labrador retriever Hawkeye that really captured the publicís emotions in the photo taken by Mr Tumilsonís cousin, Lisa Pembleton.

Navy SEAL Jon Tumilson's Labrador retriever Hawkeye was loyal to the end, as he refused to leave his master's side during an emotional funeral. Man's best friend: Mr Tumilson's family members followed Hawkeye into the service before he lay down.

WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO HAWKEYE? Nikki Virgilio, a friend of Mr Tumilson (known as J.T.) who was at the funeral, said Hawkeye was a personal pet rather than a military dog. 'I can happily report to you that Hawkeye was willed to one of J.T.'s good friends, the same one that took care of him whenever J.T. was deployed overseas,' she wrote on Facebook. 'So he is assuredly in a loving home. J.T. was an amazing being and his dog is no different.'

His funeral was held on Friday in his hometown of Rockford, Iowa, at the Rudd-Rockford-Marble Rock Community School. Ms Pembleton said: ĎI felt compelled to take one photo to share with family members that couldn't make it or couldn't see what I could from the aisle. 'To say that he was an amazing man doesn't do him justice. The loss of Jon to his family, military family and friends is immeasurable.'
Old 08-25-2011, 07:15 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
Heartwarming and heartbreaking. See the pictures, video and full story with the link:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...n-funeral.html
I was just about to post this, good lookin' out, Bonnie. Amazing story.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:11 AM

This really puts a lump in my throat. Man's best friend - how aptly named.

This post is important because it puts a face on a brave American SEAL who gave his life for our country - I don't want to think of all these deaths as just statistics, and that's too often what they are.

God rest his soul and my condolences to J.T.'s family and all who lost their lives that day.

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 08-26-2011, 05:16 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

I hope the doggie doesnt pine away

the effect of bereavement on animals shouldnt be under estimated, it can very really kill them. Both which each other...and with human interaction.

When Roland, our pet chinchila had heart failiure and died, Samantha, his mate died the following week. She simply got into her sandbox and wouldnt eat or drink.

Its been more then four months since the death of Pettis the Zebra finch, and each day at about 8pm, Bonnie goes down to the cage floor where she last saw him before he died, and she sits down and waits, maybe an hour...maybe the whole night. I think the only reason she is still alive is because at the time it happened, she had a dependant, something to focus and look after.

If that Doggie only had that soldier for company and they were really close, then there is a reasonable chance, if the doggie wont be separated from the coffin, that it could pine away. Hopefully not...but these sort of things do happen