Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > MMA

Old 08-25-2011, 07:16 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default Chance at Freedom for Lee Murray

Quote:
I'm going to change the text on our 'Free Lee Murray' shirts to 'Freed Lee Murray' in the immediate future. This morning I received a phone call and an email from the same source who enabled MiddleEasy to obtain an unprecedented interview with Lee Murray earlier this year.

According to my source, Lee Murray will be released from his Moroccan jail due to the actions of a forensics officer that worked on his case. Recently, this unnamed Kent officer was disciplined for disposing evidence in another case which forced police to inform Lee Murray's lawyers of the mishap. This will lead to a retrial which, what I'm told, will result in a 'very definite' chance that Lee Murray will be released from his prison in Morocco. It's also important to note that if a retrial is granted to any of the five men that were jailed in 2007, Lee Murray will be released.

I've also been told that the primary thing Lee Murray wants to do after being released is to return to his MMA career. Apparently Murray is in the same shape that he was in when he submitted Jorge Rivera with a triangle a few years ago. From what I've heard, competing in MMA is the only thing on Lee Murray's mind and he's even been offered to be featured on a main event in two separate MMA organizations pending his release. Lee Murray's anticipated release date is sometime at the end of 2011.
Hughes fans will most likely remember Lee Murray as being the one that KOed Tito Ortiz during a London brawl related in Made in America.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:24 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Here's a little more info from MMAMania.com:

Quote:

Lee Murray, the one-time UFC fighter who was sentenced to 10 years in a Moroccan prison for his involvement in the largest bank raid in British history back in 2006, could receive a retrial after the forensics officer assigned to his case was found guilty of mishandling evidence.

The Mirror has more:
Quote:
The officer who collected the masks the gang used in the 53million Securitas robbery in 2006 has been disciplined for accidentally disposing of evidence in another case.

Police chiefs are now bracing themselves for a legal fight that could see the gang winning a ­retrial.

Their legal teams are expected to argue that as the officer disposed of exhibits in one case, she could have done the same during their clients' investigation - although there is no evidence that this happened.
"Lightning" bolted for northern Africa shortly after he and six other associates stole more than 53 million from the Securitas cash depot in Kent, England. It was, and still is, the largest cash heist to ever go down in the history of the nation.

For years, British prosecutors tried to extradite the ex-fighter while they successfully tracked down and jailed his accomplices; however, the Moroccan government refused to ship him back because his father was of Moroccan descent.

Instead, Murray -- who was already serving three years in prison for an unrelated incident -- had his case on the bank robbery charges heard in a Moroccan court.

He promptly convicted and will not be eligible for release until 2020.

Murray defeated Jorge Rivera via first round submission (strikes) at UFC 46, which was his only appearance inside the Octagon. He is perhaps better known in the fight world for his exploits outside the cage, however, brawling with Tito Ortiz in a street fight following UFC 38 in July 2002.

Murray is 8-2 overall in mixed martial arts competition. He last fought in September of 2004 at Cage Rage 8, dropping a unanimous decision to current UFC Middleweight Champion Anderson Silva.

For more on the rise and fall of "Lightning" Lee Murray click here.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:57 PM

I had never heard of this guy or even knew he existed but now I want to see the video of him Knocking out Tito
Old 08-26-2011, 11:04 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

I always knew of him as the loud mouth from Europe that was lucky enough to get Anderson Silva's mouthpiece as a souvenir after getting whooped. Then, of course, later on as a bank robber and general turd.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:40 PM

Default interview with miletich

Javier, there is a pretty cool interview with Pat Miletich telling the story of Lee knocking out Tito. Lee was actually an MFS fighter at the time. It is from 60 minutes of all places. I don't know if you can get it on the internet or not, but the piece on Murray and the heist is really interesting.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:26 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

I dont think they got all the money back from that....