Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 08-23-2011, 03:20 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
I can tell you how it works in the small time, at least at our gym.

The professional fighters train for free. In exchange, the coaches are also the managers and get 30% of their fight purses. Luckily, our coaches are experienced pro fighters so they know about the fight game, promoters, etc. and do a good job as managers. Fighters are responsible for buying their own personal equipment (mouthguards, etc.) and a lot of the shorts, t-shirts, etc. are provided by sponsors. If not, they have to buy their own.
30% of their purse....

What are they taking from the endorsement deals on top of that?

From all the things I've read over the years when it comes agents/managers in professional sports, 30% would be about what the highest paid agents would get for brokering major endorsement deals for major stars. In the NFL the most money an agent can make off a player's contract is 3%. Then after they get the athletes outside endorsements lined up, the overall payout doesn't usually go higher than 20%, although it can. Still, when it comes to the base pay for the actual work (which is what the purse is) 30% seems awful high IMO.

To give that some context in relation to the NFL comparison. Larry Fitzgerald just signed an 8 year, $120 million dollar contract with the Arizona Cardinals. That means that over the next 8 years, the most money Larry's agent will possibly make off this contract would be about 3.6 million dollars. Obviously, those are bigger numbers than the smaller pay scale for MMA fighters in general, but I still don't see how 30% is justified.

Last edited by J.B.; 08-23-2011 at 03:35 AM.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:49 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco View Post
When Juanito Ibarra was training Rampage he was charging him something like 30k a camp and there was outrage among his peers at the cost.
You are right, it is always a bit different in each situation, especially in this sport.

Juanito worked with Oscar de la Hoya, so that gave him a lot of street cred, although in the world of Boxing trainers he's certainly not even in the same galaxy as guys like Cus D'Amatto, Eddie Futch, Freddie Roach, Emmanuel Steward, or even Roger Mayweather. But, the one thing that is true about Juanito's time with Rampage is that Jackson became the champion.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Pride View Post
I guess I meant like let's say a high level fighter went over to Xtreme Couture and wanted to train personally with their top coaches etc, how much would that be. I know it's subjective and has a lot of circumstances. My own curiosity is just eating at me.
Quote:
$172.59
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavierDLC View Post
Plus Tax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
and factor in the Exchange Rate....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezar View Post
with a food allowance....
ROFLMAO!!!!

Y'all are too much!

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 08-23-2011, 12:12 PM
County Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
30% of their purse....

What are they taking from the endorsement deals on top of that?
If you think about it this way: Membership fees for the Shark Tank MMA are normally $120 per month. In the local shows, a fighter is lucky to make $1000. 30% is $300, so that would cover less than 3 months of training. A lot of these guys go more than 3 months between fights so they're getting the better end of the deal. They also get some free stuff from the sponsors that only the pro fighters get. In many cases, an amateur fighter with potential is also trained for free in the hopes that he'll eventually go pro and make some money for the club/managers. More often than not, it doesn't pan out.

If a fighter really makes the big time, I'm guessing some changes would be made to their contract. Essentially, the paid fighters pay less to the gym than if they were just paying their gym fees and the trainers help them make money from it.

Joe Normal pays $120 per month and never gets paid to fight.
Joe Pro pays nothing and keeps 70% of his fight purse.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
If you think about it this way: Membership fees for the Shark Tank MMA are normally $120 per month. In the local shows, a fighter is lucky to make $1000. 30% is $300, so that would cover less than 3 months of training. A lot of these guys go more than 3 months between fights so they're getting the better end of the deal. They also get some free stuff from the sponsors that only the pro fighters get. In many cases, an amateur fighter with potential is also trained for free in the hopes that he'll eventually go pro and make some money for the club/managers. More often than not, it doesn't pan out.

If a fighter really makes the big time, I'm guessing some changes would be made to their contract. Essentially, the paid fighters pay less to the gym than if they were just paying their gym fees and the trainers help them make money from it.

You didn't say "boobs" once?

That's some really good insight! Thanks Mike

[
Old 08-23-2011, 03:41 PM
County Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter View Post
You didn't say "boobs" once?

That's some really good insight! Thanks Mike
Oh yeah! And pro fighters get to see lots of boobs. So there's that.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
LMFAO!!!
Old 08-23-2011, 04:38 PM

Quote:

[
Old 08-23-2011, 05:39 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Old 08-23-2011, 07:14 PM

Quote:

That's a good explanation. This is an interesting topic, last night I was looking up Greg Jackson, Couture, Hackleman, etc and they don't list any costs although Finney's Hit Squad did.

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16