Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 08-18-2011, 02:41 PM

Default How much does a fighter spend?

I'm not sure who can answer this question. I felt awkward asking Matt directly as it can be a private question, but maybe Nate can help out or someone?

I was reading an article about Dan Henderson where he was talking about money. I remember in his last fight against Fedor he had a pretty big pay day. That got me wondering how much fighters spend on trainers. They often go out to other gyms and train with other fighters, bring in other fighters and coaches, etc. Does anyone know how much that costs a fighter per training camp? When fighters bring in other fighters, like when Matt went to go train with BJ did BJ pay him and vice versa? How exactly does that work.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:51 PM
Crisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Pride View Post
I'm not sure who can answer this question. I felt awkward asking Matt directly as it can be a private question, but maybe Nate can help out or someone?

I was reading an article about Dan Henderson where he was talking about money. I remember in his last fight against Fedor he had a pretty big pay day. That got me wondering how much fighters spend on trainers. They often go out to other gyms and train with other fighters, bring in other fighters and coaches, etc. Does anyone know how much that costs a fighter per training camp? When fighters bring in other fighters, like when Matt went to go train with BJ did BJ pay him and vice versa? How exactly does that work.
I think every situation is different so it's hard to tell.

Vinny magalhaes was told he would be paid to go train Fedor's BJJ but then at the last minute they said we are not paying you.

At the level BJ and Matt are at where they aren't struggling to survive you can afford to go help a friend out for free I would imagine.

When Juanito Ibarra was training Rampage he was charging him something like 30k a camp and there was outrage among his peers at the cost.

Too many circumstances to really answer the question I would think.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco View Post
I think every situation is different so it's hard to tell.

Vinny magalhaes was told he would be paid to go train Fedor's BJJ but then at the last minute they said we are not paying you.

At the level BJ and Matt are at where they aren't struggling to survive you can afford to go help a friend out for free I would imagine.

When Juanito Ibarra was training Rampage he was charging him something like 30k a camp and there was outrage among his peers at the cost.

Too many circumstances to really answer the question I would think.

That makes sense that BJ and Matt were helping each other out. Bad example on my part.

I guess I meant like let's say a high level fighter went over to Xtreme Couture and wanted to train personally with their top coaches etc, how much would that be. I know it's subjective and has a lot of circumstances. My own curiosity is just eating at me.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:57 PM
County Mike

$172.59
Old 08-18-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
$172.59
Plus Tax
Old 08-19-2011, 02:15 AM
Chuck

Quote:
$172.59
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavierDLC View Post
Plus Tax
and factor in the Exchange Rate....
Old 08-19-2011, 02:57 AM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
and factor in the Exchange Rate....
with a food allowance....
Old 08-21-2011, 07:18 PM
3dlee

haahaha! @ 172.59 or whatever.

I think if you got guys that stay at the same camp all the time like at Greg Jackson's or whatever, they probably have a set fee they pay him or maybe even a cut of the purse/sponsors. Id have to say that with BJ and Matt, they probably pay each others travel expenses and that may be it. Some gyms probably give their superstars free training so they can say "Matt Hughes or whoever trains here" and gets other people to come join and pay. But this is all guess work on my part. Sorry.

I really would like to see an itemized expense report for the average fighter and see how much they pay for travel, training, what they pay the training partners, and managers. Id like to compare to their total income from the promoter and the sponsor. See what the high level, low level, and median guys all net after everything.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:57 AM
County Mike

I can tell you how it works in the small time, at least at our gym.

The professional fighters train for free. In exchange, the coaches are also the managers and get 30% of their fight purses. Luckily, our coaches are experienced pro fighters so they know about the fight game, promoters, etc. and do a good job as managers. Fighters are responsible for buying their own personal equipment (mouthguards, etc.) and a lot of the shorts, t-shirts, etc. are provided by sponsors. If not, they have to buy their own.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:13 PM

Quote:
I can tell you how it works in the small time, at least at our gym.

The professional fighters train for free. In exchange, the coaches are also the managers and get 30% of their fight purses. Luckily, our coaches are experienced pro fighters so they know about the fight game, promoters, etc. and do a good job as managers. Fighters are responsible for buying their own personal equipment (mouthguards, etc.) and a lot of the shorts, t-shirts, etc. are provided by sponsors. If not, they have to buy their own.
Thanks, that's insightful.