Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > MMA

Old 08-17-2011, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suntereo View Post
I would love to be hard on him but my son who was 4 at the time escaped from my wife undetected and tried to follow me on my walk. he made it across a busy main road and into the local bar before being returned by the local drunk who tore into my wife for being a bad mom. guess we should just leave our kids in the car while we go to the bar like her. In our defense we have 5 kids so losing one is pretty easy
Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
Yeah, I agree. I know that when I was a little kid, I was always wandering off on my own & getting into mischief. Sounds to me like, yeah it'd be better if they had kept an eye on the kids, but it wasn't like they were ignoring them on a regular basis or something.
I tend to agree although I think I'd be very overprotective as well.

The bad thing is that the kids were put in the custody of CPS, not exactly a paragon of caretaking. Why not just let them be home with their mom? Give her a stern warning but it seems to me the kid's best interest is with their mom.

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 08-17-2011, 12:45 AM

Quote:
In the two hours that followed, local authorities from the Chino Valley Police tried to find the twins' caretakers but to no avail. Finally the two toddlers were returned home after their mother, wife of Dewees, reported them missing.

Dewees stated that he put the twins down for an afternoon nap only to find that they disappeared when he went to check up on them hours later.
I'm kind of shocked how soft some of you are being on him. It said the mother was the one who reported them missing which kind of makes me think Edwin put them down and NEVER went and checked on them and didn't know they were missing until his wife came home. I'm just glad the babies were found alive. Like atom said, August in AZ...things could easily have turned out sooo much worse.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
I'm kind of shocked how soft some of you are being on him. It said the mother was the one who reported them missing which kind of makes me think Edwin put them down and NEVER went and checked on them and didn't know they were missing until his wife came home. I'm just glad the babies were found alive. Like atom said, August in AZ...things could easily have turned out sooo much worse.
Yes, it could have turned out a LOT worse but thank heavens, it didn't. Don't you think they were a little tough on the family to take the children into the custody of CPS? It seems like it wasn't the mom's fault. What do you think, Bonnie?

I'm willing to bet DeWees fell asleep...the story doesn't give a lot of details.

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 08-17-2011, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
Yes, it could have turned out a LOT worse but thank heavens, it didn't. Don't you think they were a little tough on the family to take the children into the custody of CPS? It seems like it wasn't the mom's fault. What do you think, Bonnie?

I'm willing to bet DeWees fell asleep...the story doesn't give a lot of details.
I'm not unsympathetic, honest, I know even with the most diligent parents things can happen. Maybe it's just procedure when something like this happens CPS is called in to check out the home situation before returning the children to the home. Hopefully, everything will check out and the kids will be home again soon. Sounds like they might need to childproof (locks and such) though.

Last edited by Bonnie; 08-17-2011 at 02:15 PM.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:32 AM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
Bonnie, I'm saying that on the outside looking in. However, if it were my kids the dad would probably beg the police to keep him. He would be afraid to come home.

On another note, if the police had them for 2 hours, I wonder how long they were out before they were found by the police. Yeah, hopefully this is a wake up call for dad.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

When my kids were 2 and 3 I slept outside of their doors in the hallway. My son liked to get up super early in the morning (think 4 or 5 am) and sneak his sister downstairs so they could get into stuff or try to go outside. He could pop the baby gates easily and open the outside doors. We had sliding glass doors that were impossible to keep locked when my son had it in his head to open them. So I slept in the hall for about a year.

I have sympathy for this situation but I have to say, it seems those babies were missing for an awful long time before the police were called in. I don't agree with him being put in jail or with the kids being handed over to CPS right away though. I think parenting classes for both parents are in order. Also having CPS monitor the home and do inspections to check safety is a good idea.

~Amy

My son made this for me:
Old 08-17-2011, 12:57 PM
Buzzard

Dang, when I was a kid my folks kept the doors open hoping I would leave!
Old 08-17-2011, 01:15 PM
SupaDupaMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
Dang, when I was a kid my folks kept the doors open hoping I would leave!
Old 08-17-2011, 01:19 PM
SupaDupaMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRN View Post
When my kids were 2 and 3 I slept outside of their doors in the hallway. My son liked to get up super early in the morning (think 4 or 5 am) and sneak his sister downstairs so they could get into stuff or try to go outside. He could pop the baby gates easily and open the outside doors. We had sliding glass doors that were impossible to keep locked when my son had it in his head to open them. So I slept in the hall for about a year.

I have sympathy for this situation but I have to say, it seems those babies were missing for an awful long time before the police were called in. I don't agree with him being put in jail or with the kids being handed over to CPS right away though. I think parenting classes for both parents are in order. Also having CPS monitor the home and do inspections to check safety is a good idea.

~Amy
My dad used to love to tell a story about us traveling by car from California one year and him being exhausted. We stopped and rented a hotel room and he moved the bed against the door so we couldn't get out while he slept. I don't know if something like that had already happened or he just knew we would give it a try.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:22 PM
SupaDupaMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinsmama View Post
wow that is scary!!

Neezer i'm overprotective too. I can not imagine having a child that would get away from me. I'm sure I would take extra precautions right away. so if the child protective services go to his house tomorrow he better have deadbolts and other things to keep the kids in. i got a cheap alarm type system that would just make a loud beep if the front and side doors if they were opened. I also had 2 safety latches on the sliding glass door so that they couldn't open that door either. all that and my kids never tried to get out.

I bet he will get a talking to and nothing criminal. It's hard to prove neglect unless someone was harmed.
Oh I love the door alarms! Works great on pool gates, too.

And I didn't think that mine ever tried it or they could even get out if they tried. Then one day my oldest got the broom out, knocked the key off the hook, and proceeded to unlock the bolt like he had done it a thousand times. And he was only 3!