Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > MMA

View Poll Results: Pride Fighters Over-Rated?
Yes 15 57.69%
No 11 42.31%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-14-2009, 09:35 PM

people are dumb its not that they were overatted its that the sport has continued to evolve

look at the people who were on top at the time of the pride buyout in the ufc. They arnt champions anymore either. people were comparing pride fighters to chuck, randy, hughes , franklin. Not the anderson silva's, gsp's , Brock lesnars of mma

cro cop, nog, wanderlei etc arnt in there prime anymore
Old 03-14-2009, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by que
5 times is enough to call him a pride fighter. people fight in UFC once and they are called UFC fighters.

what about shogun?
Silva fought more in other promotions outside of pride in his pre UFC tear.
Cage Rage 4X
Pride 5X
ROTR 1X
Meca Vale Tudo 5X

Yeah I forgot about SHogun. In some ways I rationalize his down turn as being primarily injury related.

Nate, I don't think the drug tests (if any) were consistant or thorough.

Wandy is nearing the end of his career (a career full of bareknuckle fights that took their toll on him) and Nog is 2-1. I think/hopeb we'll see a better NOg in the next fight.

[

Last edited by Llamafighter; 03-14-2009 at 09:40 PM.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:03 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

For the purposes of this thread. Yes.

There is no rule that says that pride fighters are rubbish. BUT Pride opporated under a different set or rules, a different time length of round, and it used a ring and not a cage.

That might explain why some Pride Fighters havent done so well.

Anderson Silva wasnt essentially a Pride Fighter. He did NOT start off in Pride, and his home instituion used a cage, and not a ring. thats an advantage. The first time he stepped into the Zuffa Sponcered Octagon...he'd already stepped into an Octagon sponcered by Cage Rage many years previous.

Crop cop was probably the biggest dissapointment. Rua...he might be able to bounce back...Nog...well I dont know...and Dennis Kang...oh...gutted about that one
Old 03-15-2009, 03:58 AM
cheachea

I still like Crocop. He was one of the only guys that gave Fedor a challenge and made him work the whole fight. I think he will do alot better in the future ufc fights.
Old 03-15-2009, 04:03 AM
Hughes_GOAT

Pride guys are not in their primes anymore. Rampage is doing fine because he's still young. Shogun had a bum knee and shouldn't have fought Forrest. his Coleman fight was lame but he said he was just starting to get back into shape. we'll see how he does against Chuck? and it's not like the UFC guys were tearing it up when they went to Pride. fighters age, evolve, lots of things contribute to this.
Old 03-15-2009, 04:03 AM
Hughes_GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheachea
I still like Crocop. He was one of the only guys that gave Fedor a challenge and made him work the whole fight. I think he will do alot better in the future ufc fights.
Fedor also had one hand since the other was broke.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:07 AM
billwilliams70

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj44
people are dumb its not that they were overatted its that the sport has continued to evolve

look at the people who were on top at the time of the pride buyout in the ufc. They arnt champions anymore either. people were comparing pride fighters to chuck, randy, hughes , franklin. Not the anderson silva's, gsp's , Brock lesnars of mma

cro cop, nog, wanderlei etc arnt in there prime anymore
Whoa, slow down killer....no need to call people dumb. The sport of MMA has continued to evolve, but there's still a difference in the fighters that came over to the UFC from Pride (in the March 2007 buyout). It has nothing to do with evolving.

It's true that the fighters that were on top of the UFC at the time of the buyout are no longer champions, but they weren't taken out by the Pride guys (as many thought would be the case).

I know that certain fighters aren't in their prime, but Cro Cop wasn't taken down because he was out of his prime, he was not as good as Gonzaga on the ground and it showed. Wandy loses by a vicious knockout to Rampage and all of a sudden he's out of his prime......just seven months after viciously knocking out Keith Jardine and being "back".

Later.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:53 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Yes
Old 03-15-2009, 05:39 PM
Josh

Many pride fighters are at the end of a great career also. Chuck for instance was steamrolling people when Silva was also at his top. I would say the b level fighters were top rated (actually being c level) but the A level guys no.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:01 PM
Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwilliams70
Silva's last two fights, prior to signing with the UFC in APR 06 were in Cage Rage.

I don't consider him a Pride fighter that came over when Zuffa acquired Pride in MAR 07.

But, that's just me......and my two lincolns.

Later.
If you dont count his fights in the UFC Silva had had the most fights in PRIDE and Mecca (5 fights in each). He has had 4 fights in Cage Rage. So when he came over to the UFC he was more a PRIDE fighter or Mecca fighter than anything else. Both Rampage and Cro Cop came over to the UFC before the UFC bought PRIDE but they are still PRIDE. Also people need to remember that many of PRIDE's big champs are now starting to get old or are not even in the UFC.