Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 01-24-2009, 05:30 PM

Jeff.....

If you filed your return and didn't even have to answer the question or enter your stimulus, you 2008 refund would have still only been $962....

You're not getting PENALIZED because of the stimulus... that line is set up to get it back for people that didn't get it or only received part of it....
Old 01-24-2009, 05:39 PM
Primadawn

So if I'm "getting it", what EHLERZ is saying is that Jeff's return was showing he would get $300 more back because it appeared he hadn't received all of his stimulus check since he only entered $300 instead of $600. And once he corrected it to $600, "they" realized he had gotten all of it, so the total refund was corrected to remove the $300 that, in fact, he had already received...Right?

So there was no penalty..right?

I got $2100 too..I desperately don't want there to be a penalty...
Old 01-24-2009, 05:42 PM
Crowbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHLERZ5
Jeff.....

If you filed your return and didn't even have to answer the question or enter your stimulus, you 2008 refund would have still only been $962....

You're not getting PENALIZED because of the stimulus... that line is set up to get it back for people that didn't get it or only received part of it....
I was just wondering why it said I was getting $1264 before I put in the correct amount? I used turbo tax and I also used the H&R Block calculator...it estimated my return as $1260. It just seems odd that everything was showing a little over $1200 until I answered that question and put in the amount.
Old 01-24-2009, 05:46 PM

Dawn you got it!

Jeff -- Because EVERYONE will need to put in WHAT they got.... When you put the wrong amount in at the beginning, the IRS was going to hand you another $300, because you were entitled to $600 last year. Those online sites/tax programs are getting alot of people mixed up so far this tax season, because they are not asking things the right way -- it's confusing people and causing mistakes.... (WHICH IS WHAT THE IRS WANTS! They collect on mistakes later on!) Did they even ask you about Property Taxes???
Old 01-24-2009, 05:57 PM
Crowbar

I understand what your saying. You just had me a little confused when you said I would have still only gotten the $962 even if I wouldn't have answered that question. The odd thing is that I am getting less back this year and I payed in more taxes this year than any previous year.

I think I am going to adopt a kid for the year. I should just adopt a 17 year old kid every year and when they turn 18 kick them to the curb and adopt another one to claim

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHLERZ5
Dawn you got it!

Jeff -- Because EVERYONE will need to put in WHAT they got.... When you put the wrong amount in at the beginning, the IRS was going to hand you another $300, because you were entitled to $600 last year. Those online sites/tax programs are getting alot of people mixed up so far this tax season, because they are not asking things the right way -- it's confusing people and causing mistakes.... (WHICH IS WHAT THE IRS WANTS! They collect on mistakes later on!) Did they even ask you about Property Taxes???
Old 01-24-2009, 06:00 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Crow
I was just wondering why it said I was getting $1264 before I put in the correct amount?
Because you originally put in the incorrect amount. Did you flunk math, Jeff?

The government "owed" you $600 last year, so when you said they only paid you $300, then that meant they still owed you another $300. So that showed up in your return this year. When it was discovered that they had actually paid you the full $600, then you got your true return.

If the computer hadn't caught the mistake and you had filed, then you would have had to pay back that $300 plus penalties and interest.

Speaking from experience, I let the Army do my taxes for 1999 and it turns out they messed up and I was overpaid $900 in my return. Well, I didn't find out until late 2001 and the interest was backdated to the spring of 2000, so I ended up owing the IRS over $1100.

So, just be glad that it was caught before you filed.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:08 PM
Crowbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR
Because you originally put in the incorrect amount. Did you flunk math, Jeff?

The government "owed" you $600 last year, so when you said they only paid you $300, then that meant they still owed you another $300. So that showed up in your return this year. When it was discovered that they had actually paid you the full $600, then you got your true return.
I got that, but if we are going by the math...why did it say I was getting $1264 no matter if I put $300 or $0 like I did on the H&R calculator. If I put $0, wouldn't it have showed me being owed $1564? Maybe I am just really confusing myself trying to figure out why I think I got screwed this year
Old 01-24-2009, 06:12 PM
timmyja

I have a question for the tax man.. I made about 115-125k for the first time ever this year, and I am single w/ no dependents and no house. I did not write anything off, which is foolish on my part because I do a lot of travelling and stay in motels etc., so my question is if I could have a rough ballpark figure on what I am going to have to pay back.. The reason I ask is because I'm pretty sure there isn't a snowball chance in me getting a return this year, so I was wondering I could get a rough figure on what I'll be looking to pay back..

Thank you
Old 01-24-2009, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR
I didn't get a stimulus check last year, so I guess I don't have to worry about anything.

It don't matter, I'm not getting a return this year either; since all of my pay comes in personal checks, I don't have taxes taken out ahead of time. So I'll probably have to pay a couple hundred bucks in taxes this year too.
We didn;t get one either. I think because we were on a payment plan for the large ammount we ended up oweing last year. Just this month we are sending in the last check.

[
Old 01-24-2009, 06:18 PM
Stump Rules!

This is a great thread Jeff. I'm glad this happened to you so you'd bring it up
Can't you get Cooper a social security number?

http://stumpdotcom.com/