Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 08-08-2011, 07:16 PM
Miss Foxy

Default Hammil

Just read he is retiring after his loss on Saturday. I feel bummed. Sorry I didn't link an article the one I found was not allowing me to copy..lol..
Old 08-08-2011, 07:17 PM
Miss Foxy

Can a moderator please correct my spelling.. Should be Hamill.. Grrr I am so off today.. Sorry.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:25 PM
Miss Foxy

The only hearing impaired fighter to ever step foot inside the UFCís Octagon, Hamill, today announced his retirement on the heels of his second consecutive loss. After going 9-4 inside the UFC, Hamill took to his personal website to announce his decision to retire.

The announcement reads:

ďToday is a sad day for me. After six years and 13 fights in the UFC Iím ready to hang up my gloves and retire from this amazing sport.

The UFC has been extremely good to me and given me an opportunity to make a great living. That exposure has allowed me options outside the Octagon as well. I just donít have it in me to fight anymore and my last two performances have shown that.

I was ready to make this decision after UFC 130 but my friends, family coaches and most importantly my daughter encouraged me to give it one last chance. My career has been plagued by injuries starting with The Ultimate Fighter and disrupted my training ever since.

There hasnít been even one training camp where Iíve been able to train without training around an injury. I have not been kind to my body and it has nothing left after 28 years of non stop competition. Itís time to finally give it a rest.

I canít continue to fight without having the hunger and desire to do so. I canít let my performances reflect on my coaches who are the best in the world and the reason Iíve made it this far.

I have fallen in love with the sport of Mixed Martial Arts and I will continue to coach at our gym Mohawk Valley MMA along side my teammates and help the next generation of fighters make it to the UFC. I also look forward to continuing my business ventures outside the UFC including ďHamillĒ the movie based on my life story set to be released this fall.

I want to thank Dana White, Joe Silva Lorenzo Fertitta and everyone at the UFC for the opportunity to make something special out of my life.

Thank you to Duff, Holmes, Bruno Tostes, Dave Kingwater, Renzo Gracie, Tim Greene, Daniel Gracie, Pat Popolizio, Ron Gross, Doug Blubaugh and Mark Dellagrotte.

Thank you to all my training partners who have shared their blood sweat and tears with me along the way. Thank you to all my friends and family for their unconditional support and most of all thank you to my fans! Itís the fans that have made this the truly special experience it has been.

The UFC has become family to me and I hope to be involved with the number one mixed martial arts organization in the world as a coach, ambassador and fan for a long time to come.

-Matt ďThe HammerĒ HamillĒ
Old 08-08-2011, 07:30 PM

Wow, I'm surprised, but it sounds like he's really given this serious thought and knows what he wants to do. I wish him well in all his other ventures.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:47 PM
Hughes fanboy

Got to hand it to him, at least he's honest about why he's getting out of it. There does come a point when the cons must be weighed over the pros. Your health is more important than MMA.

Please consider England in your prayers!

http://www.intercessuk.org/iuk3/
Old 08-08-2011, 10:09 PM

Well said, Vizion.

I'm sad because I always liked Matt a lot but it looked like he was not adjusting his fighting style after the losses. It seemed like he wasn't able to move forward so maybe this is for the best. I think he will succeed at whatever he does and I wish him all the best.

I really hated seeing him lose again on Saturday. Dayum.

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 08-08-2011, 10:15 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
Well said, Vizion.

I'm sad because I always liked Matt a lot but it looked like he was not adjusting his fighting style after the losses. It seemed like he wasn't able to move forward so maybe this is for the best. I think he will succeed at whatever he does and I wish him all the best.

I really hated seeing him lose again on Saturday. Dayum.
Same here.. I shed a tear..Kills me when the good guys lose....
Old 08-09-2011, 02:04 AM

I was really saddened by this news but then happy for Matt as he seems to have made the right decision for him. Best of luck to his gym.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:52 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

I was telling my friend the other day the reason why Hammill keeps losing is because he started thinking he was a boxer. His wrestling has gone to complete dog crap and his shots look like he was drinking a bunch of shots than trying to attempt a shot. It's weird.

Wish him all the best, he's a good guy.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:04 AM
Hughes fanboy

Yes, stick to your pedigree boys!!!

Please consider England in your prayers!

http://www.intercessuk.org/iuk3/