Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > MMA

Old 08-04-2011, 06:46 PM

Default Fedor Emelianenko Released by Strikeforce Following Third Loss in a Row

http://mmaweekly.com/fedor-emelianen...-loss-in-a-row

__________________________________________________ _

Fedor Emelianenko Released by Strikeforce Following Third Loss in a Row (UPDATED)
Posted on August 4, 2011 by Damon Martin

Fedor Emelianenko‘s time under the Zuffa umbrella has come to an end.

The former Pride champion and Russian legend has been released from Strikeforce following his third loss in a row, the latest coming by way of TKO to Dan Henderson this last weekend in Chicago.

UFC president Dana White on Thursday confirmed his release to MMAWeekly.com.

“Yeah, he’s being cut,” White confirmed. “You guys thought he was the pound-for-pound best in the world, I said he was overrated for years.”

Emelianenko’s legendary undefeated run first came to a halt when he faced Fabricio Werdum last year, and after clipping the Brazilian early in the fight, he was submitted by triangle choke.

Bouncing back earlier this year, Emelianenko entered the Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix where he met Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva and was simply overmatched by power and size. The fight was stopped after the seond round as Emelianenko suffered huge swelling in and around his eye.

The final nail in the coffin came at Strikeforce this weekend when he lost to current light heavyweight champion Dan Henderson in a special heavyweight attraction. Fedor dropped Henderson with a good punch, but in the scramble to finish the fight, he found himself on the bad end of a Henderson uppercut.

Emelianenko went limp, falling flat to the mat and referee Herb Dean rushed in to stop the fight.

The loss resulted in three in a row for Emelianenko, who stated following the fight that he was undecided what the future held for him.

The future doesn’t hold Strikeforce for Emelianenko after being released.

According to White, he believes Emelianenko’s contract was up anyway, which paved the way for him not to come back to the promotion.

“Yeah, I think so as far as I know,” White said about Emelianenko’s contract.

White also stated he had no conversations at all with Emelianenko or his camp, and has stayed out of the situation since Zuffa purchased Strikeforce earlier this year.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:03 PM
Miss Foxy

Ouch!! Poor Fedor.. Wow, all these cuts...
Old 08-04-2011, 07:26 PM

Yeah, they are cleaning house! I think Fedor would have done good in LHW, but who knows? Dan fights LHW and he couldn't take him.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:28 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Pride View Post
Yeah, they are cleaning house! I think Fedor would have done good in LHW, but who knows? Dan fights LHW and he couldn't take him.
I agree.. As much as I love Dana I don't like how he is treating Fedor. I can see if Fedor was an *ss, but he's not just sad how this is all going down...
Old 08-04-2011, 07:28 PM
kevint13

This was kinda expected...he makes way too much money and there is no way Zuffa would pay him that after 3 losses. I heard that the loser between him and Hendo were likely to get cut because of the amount that they make.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:00 PM
Twinsmama

could dana have convinced zuffa to get strikeforce just so he could let fedor go (If he holds grudges like his mama you never know)

i'm sad for fedor but not surprised. where else can he go and make $? he's probably gonna retire, hope he invested well
Old 08-04-2011, 08:01 PM
cheachea

I don't respect Dana White. He is the Puff Daddy of MMA.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:18 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinsmama View Post
could dana have convinced zuffa to get strikeforce just so he could let fedor go (If he holds grudges like his mama you never know)

i'm sad for fedor but not surprised. where else can he go and make $? he's probably gonna retire, hope he invested well
BAMMA..
Old 08-04-2011, 08:37 PM

Quote:
“Yeah, he’s being cut,” White confirmed. “You guys thought he was the pound-for-pound best in the world, I said he was overrated for years.”
Man, that's cold.

I think some of Dana's frustration with not being able to sign Fedor through the years is coming out. He should at least respect what Fedor has done for the sport, IMO. Those words make him look petty and bitter.

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 08-04-2011, 08:39 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
Man, that's cold.

I think some of Dana's frustration with not being able to sign Fedor through the years is coming out. He should at least respect what Fedor has done for the sport, IMO. Those words make him look petty and bitter.
I agree.. Whole heartedly...