Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 08-03-2011, 09:57 PM
BamaGrits84

Default The 80s & 90s

A FB group I am in (not that I joined, but was added too, how does that happen?) has lead me down memory lane. What was your favorite part of the 80s and 90s? I was just little kid in 80s (born in 84) so a vast number of my memories from then come from my older sister exposing me to the music. I loved Warrant and Roxette. For years I thought the line about Love Shack was named after a club on Atl Hwy in Montgomery and not the other way around. My sister owned acid wash jeans that were so tight in the legs she once rolled them up and they had to be cut off her. And I even owned NKOTB bedding. Oh and clubs that required you to have read most of the Baby Sitters Club series and own a pink and green troll dolls. And wear purple eyeshadow when moms weren't looking.

My favorite part has to be the music. I listen to it all the time and think back to how many tapes we tored up from rewinding them too many times without letting them cool down. I even did my own version of Neighborhood Idol on the trampoline and not even Simon could have found one bad thing to say about my rendition of Someday.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:58 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaGrits84 View Post
A FB group I am in (not that I joined, but was added too, how does that happen?) has lead me down memory lane. What was your favorite part of the 80s and 90s? I was just little kid in 80s (born in 84) so a vast number of my memories from then come from my older sister exposing me to the music. I loved Warrant and Roxette. For years I thought the line about Love Shack was named after a club on Atl Hwy in Montgomery and not the other way around. My sister owned acid wash jeans that were so tight in the legs she once rolled them up and they had to be cut off her. And I even owned NKOTB bedding. Oh and clubs that required you to have read most of the Baby Sitters Club series and own a pink and green troll dolls. And wear purple eyeshadow when moms weren't looking.

My favorite part has to be the music. I listen to it all the time and think back to how many tapes we tored up from rewinding them too many times without letting them cool down. I even did my own version of Neighborhood Idol on the trampoline and not even Simon could have found one bad thing to say about my rendition of Someday.
My fave was the MUSIC!! The crap they play nowdays sucks!!
I also rocked a side ponytail, banana clips, teased/crimped hair!!
Oh yeah and fluorescent everything...Madonna was my goddess.. lol...Then when I went into my Metallica look.. lol.. Doc Martens baby!
Old 08-04-2011, 02:00 PM
rearnakedchoke

80's def had the best music ... michael jackson revolutionized the music video and music .. i remember getting our first VCR (everyone laughed when we got VHS instead of BetaMax .. LOL) ... got our first microwave too ... breakdancing was cool ... my dad would bring home huge pieces of cardboard from the warehouse and our backyard was where everyone would come with their ghetto blasters and we all thought we could be in Beat Street or Crush Groove .. LOL
Old 08-04-2011, 02:28 PM
Dethbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post

tee hee

Just kidding, Dethbob, I'm techno-challenged as well.
Cool Photoshop Flo!

I think the old VHS tapes were one of my favorite parts of the 80ís and 90ís: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Buckaroo Banzai, Ghost Busters, RoboCop, Aliens, UFC1, Eco Challenge, when Netflix killed all the video stores they sold off a lot of classic VHS tapes for a dollar each. It was like Christmas for about six months.

Of course, this thread is also reminding me of miniskirts with florescent leg warmers...
Old 08-04-2011, 02:35 PM
BamaGrits84

How could I forget Pac Man! The greatest game ever!
Old 08-04-2011, 02:36 PM
Administrator

I turned 7 in 1980 and 17 in 1990, so the most formative years of my childhood were spent in the 80s. Everything just seemed to be better in the 80s: the music, television, movies, etc.

I remember the big controversy when the word "condom" was used on a sitcom for the very first time. It was in the late-80s on an episode of The Hogan Family (the show that started out Jason Bateman's career). Now, when you look at what kind of sexually explicit material that kids are subjected to on television, it really makes me miss the more "innocent" days of the 80s.

I also remember when the Return of the Jedi merchandising juggernaut started rolling in 1983. I was ten years old at the time and it was the first major movie-merchandising event of my childhood. You couldn't escape it, I know because my parents tried to shield us from anything and everything Star Wars throughout most of our childhood, but the movement was too big and it was everywhere. I remember when you could go to Sears or JC Penny or even a gas station to find ROTJ toys and merchandise. Nowadays, big movie merchandising promotions are so common that people don't even pay attention to them anymore, but back in 1983, a movie tie-in event of that scale was unheard of.

Some news stories from the May 1983 opening of ROTJ:
http://youtu.be/zjce141miEs

http://youtu.be/nNGAfTuEBd8

http://youtu.be/qcjs1RMF1iw
Old 08-04-2011, 02:42 PM
rearnakedchoke

oh ya .. i remember ROTJ glasses (drinking) we got from Pizza Hut i think .. there was a whole set and we bugged our parents to go so we could get the whole set .. i remember the 1984 Olympic Games .. Carl Lewis, Mary Lou Retton, Edwin Moses .. everyone talks about how the US won so much cuz of the boycott, but damn, they had the best athletes .. i remember my parents making us watch the Royal Wedding on TV and taking us to the Papal Visit Mass when PJPII was in town ..
Old 08-04-2011, 02:44 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaGrits84 View Post
How could I forget Pac Man! The greatest game ever!
George Costanza may have something to say about that .. LOL
Old 08-04-2011, 02:54 PM
County Mike

Dang! You guys are old.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:20 PM
BamaGrits84

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
Dang! You guys are old.
Not as old as you. Well at least I'm not.