Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > MMA

Old 08-03-2011, 05:28 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

I actually would agree with Fedor considering retirement at this point. He has nothing left to prove.

Sure, he could always find that fire again and start winning for a bit, but let's be realistic, 90% of all fighters, and athletes in general, are NOT fine wines. Modern day fighters who manage to keep competing at the highest level after the age of 40 are few and far between. Hendo is a warrior and legend of MMA, just like Fedor. In fact, it could easily be argued that Hendo has a better resume than Fedor.

Regardless, is the risk of sliding further down the mountain worth it to Fedor at this point? I'd say no. Obviously he never wanted to get in bed with Zuffa, and he probably feels like the buyout of Strikeforce put him in a tough situation. Walking away now still leaves him with a very strong legacy intact and it would be inline with his humble reputation that has been built up over the years.

That doesn't mean I think it would be out of line for him to fight again. I just think he's come to a crossroads in his career where he has to make a decision on where he wants to go. If he continues to fight, it may mean he is reduced fighting much lower level competition, which is a criticism that has already plagued his resume by many critics.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:18 AM

I'd wish to see such a great champion retire after a win.

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 08-03-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
I agree. He deserves to go out on a win but then again so did Chuck and Randy. Maybe he can fight Allistar now that both of them are out of Strikefarce.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:42 PM
CAVEMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
I actually would agree with Fedor considering retirement at this point. He has nothing left to prove.

Sure, he could always find that fire again and start winning for a bit, but let's be realistic, 90% of all fighters, and athletes in general, are NOT fine wines. Modern day fighters who manage to keep competing at the highest level after the age of 40 are few and far between. Hendo is a warrior and legend of MMA, just like Fedor. In fact, it could easily be argued that Hendo has a better resume than Fedor.

Regardless, is the risk of sliding further down the mountain worth it to Fedor at this point? I'd say no. Obviously he never wanted to get in bed with Zuffa, and he probably feels like the buyout of Strikeforce put him in a tough situation. Walking away now still leaves him with a very strong legacy intact and it would be inline with his humble reputation that has been built up over the years.

That doesn't mean I think it would be out of line for him to fight again. I just think he's come to a crossroads in his career where he has to make a decision on where he wants to go. If he continues to fight, it may mean he is reduced fighting much lower level competition, which is a criticism that has already plagued his resume by many critics.
+ 1

With the exception of a few, most fighters have peaked by age 35. With that said, I still think Fedor is capable of getting some wins, I'm just not sure he can hang with the upper echelon of the sport, now.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:05 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
If wishes were fishes, I'd own my own Red Lobster.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:38 PM
rearnakedchoke

i don't want to see him retire .. yes, he could lose his next couple and would have no choice .. i see him getting a win over someone in another org ... who knows, maybe ubereem as he is looking for a fight ..
Old 08-03-2011, 08:41 PM
snakerattle79

hope he still continues, win or lose he always entertains the crowd.. its not like he's been dominated in all of his losses, ••••s happen to great fighters like him
Old 08-03-2011, 08:52 PM
Dethbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakerattle79 View Post
hope he still continues, win or lose he always entertains the crowd.. its not like he's been dominated in all of his losses, ••••s happen to great fighters like him
That, and he’s been fighting some high level guys. On the other hand, no one wants to see him get hurt trying to do something he can no longer do well. If he gets the ‘eye of the tiger’ back and starts looking like he used to then that would be awesome, but if he keeps coming out looking confused and disappointed, well... he should keep what he has left and sit in the stands with us mortals.