Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 03-16-2009, 01:03 AM
lyndsey823

ah, it is so great having my dad home!! i was trying to write about it last night, but i was just so tired and so drained that i figured i would just wait until today. whew, it was a great day.

like i said they would, the tears started from the moment i woke up. i was so nervous i told my boyfriend to take the wrong exit for the airport. which in turn made me more nervous because i wanted to be right there when dad came off the escalator. finally got parked and inside the terminal. lilke i said, bundle of nerves. then i finally saw him, he was one of the last passengers to come out, and i just lost it. he looked so handsome and "normal" in his uniform. you guys, he looked great. just like the day he left. i was just overcome with so many emotions, he just hugged me like i was the one coming home from a warzone. i couldn't hug him as tight as i wanted to, he had some really bad bruising and is still sore from where his chest tube was. i just kept telling him how much i loved him, how happy i was that he was finally safe, that he couldn't leave us ever again. then i look up, he's bawling, my boyfriend is crying, and everyone around us is crying. i hadn't noticed everyone around us watching us, i was just so focused on him and knowing that he really was here, safe. he walks like an old man now, so slow!! but i can forgive him for that. he has a limp, which is weird to see because my dad has always had this real distinctive walk about him. he was told to use a wheelchair or cane, but he was having none of it. he's so bull headed!!!

so we get out of there and get to the restaurant. my mom freaks, and so does my sister. they come running up to him and basically tackle him. then my dad told my mom to quit blubbering, he always tells her that, it's their little joke. like at the airport, the whole restaurant is watching our reunion, and some of them are crying, which makes me cry even more!! as you can tell, i'm a crier, lol, got it from my mom. so then my mom introduces my dad to the whole restaurant, which just mortified him!!! he HATES attention. so the whole restaurant starts clapping and gave him a standing ovation. some people come over and thank him for his service, which makes me cry even more. i was just so amazed and thankful to all those people. i couldn't even tell you who they were, but they were so kind and appreciative to my father, and it really warmed my heart, as cheesy as that sounds. then the manager came out and told us everything was on the house, and all these guys start sending beers over to my dad, it was really a sight to be seen. i have always been proud of my dad and what he does, what all these men do, and i was so happy that he got the respect and welcome home that he deserved. i am so grateful to all those strangers who helped make my dad's homecoming that much sweeter. it was an amazing site, something i will remember my whole life, and i know my dad and my family will too. it was an amazing day, i couldn't be more proud or happy.

so that's it. dad is home, and he is going to be ok. we were giving him a hard time because he has put on some pounds, that was the only outward thing you could notice different about him. i am so thankful he is ok, so so thankful. he was lucky, and we are lucky to have him here. thanks guys for all of your support!! he told me to tell you all hi and thanks for thinking of him and praying for him. he really appreciates it! as do i!
Old 03-16-2009, 01:11 AM
Super Moderator

Oh Lyndsey, I am so glad you got to hug him and see him with your own eyes. It makes a world of difference. I'm so happy for you!!!

~Amy

My son made this for me:
Old 03-16-2009, 01:18 AM
mikthehick

Lyns, Post of the week! right there. If only all our soldier and gov't workers over there were honored so greatly for their service.

I can't wait until my friends get back from Afghan. and my cousin gets back from Costa Rica

God Bless the veterans
Old 03-16-2009, 01:36 AM
Primadawn

Oh Lyndsey that's fabulous!!! I'm a little misty as well!! So happy for you and your family!
Old 03-16-2009, 01:37 AM

Lyndsey, I want you to know that I'm trying not to blubber all over my computer as I read your post. That is just so terrific, sweetie. I'm so happy for your dad and for the family that he returned home safely.

God Bless!
Old 03-16-2009, 01:45 AM
lyndsey823

thank you all so much! you are all so sweet. i was trying to get him to let me take a picture of him so i could post it here, but he wouldn't let me! dork. i'll have to see if i can find something or sneak one of him. thanks again to you all!
Old 03-16-2009, 02:36 AM
Stump Rules!

thank you for letting us know how it went Lyndsey!

http://stumpdotcom.com/