Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 07-25-2011, 08:15 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default Tito Beginning to Grow Up

From MMATorch.com:

Quote:
Quote:
"I told Dana that I had a ton of business stuff to take care of with Punishment Athletics and my new Punishment Training Center and, after the Bader fight, really wanted to spend some family time.

Dana said he and the UFC really needed me to step up, but that he understood. We hung up and I went back to the movie and my beverage. But I couldn’t stop thinking about the opportunity Dana had just offered me.

The fight was still on my mind when I went to sleep and I had a dream about it. I woke up at 8 a.m. the next day, had some business to take care of, and as soon as I took care of that all I could think about was what I’d turned down the night before...

I spoke to my partner and we talked about what it meant for us as a family and for my business. Being a fighter means being selfish sometimes. When I am training, it has to be about 'me, me, me.' I hate being selfish when I have a family but the reality of fighting and of being a champion is that you have to put yourself first when you prepare for battle -- because no one can do you a favor or help you once the octagon door shuts. During the time preparing for a fight, training has to be top priority or you will suffer for it.

But I've got a great support system around me. They all supported me; so I called Dana back. He was a little surprised to hear from me. I asked if he'd managed to get another [replacement] for Rashad. He said no, and I said: 'I know you need me, and I'm in. I am stepping up to fight Rashad – I'm going to beat him.'

My thought processes were pretty much 'Dana and [UFC owner] Lorenzo [Fertitta] are the reason I've got my brand in the first place. Now they are asking me for a favor but, really, it isn't a favor it is an opportunity they are offering me.'

For the last six years I've had problems with the UFC and now it is time for me to stop being the bad boy and help out when they need me. I'm really grateful to Dana, Lorenzo and also Rashad – because Rashad took this fight at just as short a notice as me and I appreciate him agreeing to the fight."
-Tito Ortiz takes to ESPN.com to blog about his thought process in initially turning down and then accepting a fight with Rashad Evans at UFC 133.

Penick's Analysis: Ortiz's initial reaction is understandable, as is his turnaround in accepting the fight. As Dana White said recently, he likes dealing with the "new Tito," and Ortiz here expresses his own take on changing things around in his attitude. This is a big opportunity for him, and by stepping up and helping the UFC while at the same time helping himself with a major opportunity it's a step towards continuing to repair relationships with the UFC that have been strained in the past.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:35 PM
Miss Foxy

Good read. It's great to hear nice things about people who are misunderstood . War TITO.. Just put a PUNISHMENT sticker on the truck..Tito has really won me AGAIN as a fan.

Last edited by Miss Foxy; 07-25-2011 at 08:43 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:22 AM

I'll finally be rooting for Tita, er, Tito... much respect for stepping up like that.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:26 AM
suntereo

Quote:
Originally Posted by F34R View Post
I'll finally be rooting for Tita, er, Tito... much respect for stepping up like that.
you know what Tita means in hawaiian pidgin? - funny
Old 07-26-2011, 04:27 AM
suntereo

wait, I didnt mean it means funny. It's the word used for a real tough chick and using that for Tito was funny
Old 07-26-2011, 04:34 AM
suntereo

Tita Ortiz
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tita.jpg (27.3 KB, 7 views)
Old 07-26-2011, 08:27 PM
KENTUCKYREDBONE

Guess time will tell! Hopefully he has finally decided to act like a decent adult!
Old 07-26-2011, 08:59 PM
hughesfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Foxy View Post
Good read. It's great to hear nice things about people who are misunderstood . War TITO.. Just put a PUNISHMENT sticker on the truck..Tito has really won me AGAIN as a fan.
me too!,i am totally rooting for tito in this fight...i can't stand evans!
Old 07-26-2011, 10:18 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughesfan4life View Post
me too!,i am totally rooting for tito in this fight...i can't stand evans!
Haha.. You and I are usually on the same page!!
Old 07-27-2011, 01:44 AM
StizzoFoShizzo

If I was Tito I would have had it in writing, that if he loses this fight he can't be cut. I would hate to see him rushed into waters that may be over his head right now, lose and be cut, all for stepping in for Dana. There have been fighters before who have taken short notice fights, lost, and were subsequently released for it. Even though Dana says he likes the new Tito, it's hard to read the guy sometimes and he's a shrewd business man. I would rather see Tito take his time and try to build on the new "him" before we start tossing him in there with the more legitimate title contenders. But good on Tito for stepping up and getting his act together. Was great to see him finally hit the win column again.