Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Training/Nutrition

Old 07-13-2011, 05:04 PM
DonnaMaria

Default Help for Plantar Warts?

My youngest has TWO on her big toe. We are going to the foot doc on Friday to get them treated. We have been down this road before so I know they will get better..........BUT

how do you guys who train in bare feet prevent them? She dances modern and that means bare feet in the studio. They are exceptionally clean there but the girls still get them from time to time.

What should I have Corrine do to prevent them? I know she should wash her feet as soon as she gets home, but sometimes classes last a few hours and then she doesn't have a chance to wash her feet until the end of the day.

Should I give her some antibacterial wipes to use?

Suggestions?
Old 07-13-2011, 06:41 PM

Suggestions?[/QUOTE]

that is a tough problem. plantar warts and the treatment for them is pretty painful. you have to consider the fact that your daughter could spread these to others as much as preventing her from getting them again. plantar's warts are a strain of the HPV virus. it is not terribly contagious, but if one often goes barefoot in a public place and has abrasions on their feet from dancing, then the virus can get in. your daughter will quit getting them when her immune system begins to recognise this strain of hpv and keeps it at bay. I understand that modern dance is all about bare feet. however, can that be modified to allow for some kind of foot covering in practice? nylon footies or something? if not, then consider having everyone who has plantar's warts wear a bandaid (or more practically) coband wrap over the warts to cut down on spread. washing after practice is a great idea, but there probably is no fool proof way to prevent contraction of the hpv other than keeping the feet covered. It is possible depending on the strain of plantar wart that the gardisil hpv vaccine however, this really is a long shot and unlikely to cover the same strains as the gardisil targets the strains that cause cervical cancer specifically.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:08 PM
DonnaMaria

Thanks for the reply! I appreciate all the info!

Yeah.....the treatment is harsh.....my daughter suffered through it over and over again a few years back but hasn't had a wart since. Now she gets this right before summer dance is about to start. It figures.

She will definitely cover it up when she is dancing. And there are actually things called foot undies that the girls wear to protect the balls of their feet, since that is usually the area that gets the most wear and tear.

We will make sure that she doesn't spread her germs around. I had an appointment with my dermatologist today and asked him about prevention and he basically said the same thing that you did. You really can't prevent them but you can take measures to insure that the virus isn't spread once you have it.