Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 03-13-2009, 07:53 PM
County Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by logrus
So your only for people when they are in YOUR best interests, otherwise they can kiss your $@# huh.
That's my motto!
Old 03-13-2009, 08:03 PM

I think "rockdawg" stated he didn't vote for the guy and why but was giving him kudos for doing something he (RD) feels is a good thing.

And, don't people normally vote for the person/people they feel are going to do what are in their/our best interests?

R.D. I feel the same way about Perry in that I also don't think he's done enough for education and securing our borders.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:11 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie
R.D. I feel the same way about Perry in that I also don't think he's done enough for education and securing our borders.
Nice to get the support of a fellow Texan
Sad to say, there's millions of others who feel this way. If there weren't so many independents in our last election to split the vote, Perry would have lost.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:46 PM
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR
True, nobody knows the future, however, we do know some things for sure:

1. Nobody on this planet has $800 billion to loan us. So borrowing it is not an option. Which only leaves raising taxes or printing more money.

2. If Obama raised taxes to 95% of every American's income, it wouldn't even come close to paying off his stimulus plan in our lifetimes (that's not even counting the deficit and Bush's bank bailout.

3. Printing money will only devalue our currency and will lead to inflation and maybe even hyperinflation.

4. Even the Democrats are only 40% sure that this stimulus will even work, which is why they are talking about a second stimulus.

Historically, hard economic times force Americans into greater periods of innovation and progress. So maybe doing nothing is the best option for America in the long term. Sure it will be uncomfortable, but growth is rarely comfortable.
Unless we do a Ron Paul-esque reboot and refurb to the entire economic system in these United States, we're going to constantly be borrowing on our future.

1. Printing more money will lead to inflation, and decrease the power of our dollar both domestically and internationally. However, strengthening our economy will increase the value of our dollar at the same time. So, if this works, either immediately or eventually, it will be a risk, but a very necessary one. I really doubt our country will just start producing better cars, pay off all credit card debts, and spawn new decent paying jobs without some kind of help. Right now, this country is full of people scraping (most of us) or people that are doing fine, either from good planning or previous wealth (few of us). I don't see either group going to start spending more money, and boosting profits, which leads to a resurgence in the stock market. I see more cutting costs, increasing debt, and holding onto money from one group and profit taking and holing up from the other.

2. The bottom 80% of this country doesn't make enough money to pay high enough taxes to pay off the debt. This is why stimulating the economy and getting high tax paying corporations back on their feet is paramount.

3. Certainly will in the short term, and maybe even in the long term. Strengthen our economy, domestically and abroad and our dollar's buying power dramatically increases.

4. One stimulus won't work. Didn't work in 2008, won't work today. It's a step, hopefully in the right direction. In the 1930s, it took a lot for this country to get back going in the right direction, and a lot of it had to do with boosting consumer confidence, and gaining trust again in places like banks and the stock market. Doing something to me seems like a better idea than doing nothing and continuing to slip farther down the path to economic depression.

I'm not an economist, but I do pay attention to things and feel like I have a decent grasp on our country's history and the markets. If there's a trained economist out there that would like to correct or tweak what I have to say, please do so.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:51 PM
Miss Foxy

Speaking of governors anyone is better than our California Governor "freakin' idiot" just like Napoleon Dynamite would say....
Old 03-13-2009, 09:53 PM
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa Villaseņor
Speaking of governors anyone is better than our California Governor "freakin' idiot" just like Napoleon Dynamite would say....
I couldn't be much happier with ours, what's-his-name...
Old 03-13-2009, 10:00 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21
I didn't vote for the guy because it feels like he doesn't do anything for us, but he did something right this time!

http://www.texasinsider.org/?p=6291
anyone who organizes Tea Parties for protests is A-Okay with me.

I think Nathan is right. There is no way out of the depression, you can borrow, the public wont invest, and you cant tax that much, nor print it without devaluation.

Now that the banks are stable...I would do absolutely nothing. The financial world is safe, the rest should bounce back in time....sure pretty hard times...but...thats what I would have done.

Texas needs to stand her ground...and remind Barack that if he goes to far...he can report something Unique in his next State of the (smaller) union address
Old 03-13-2009, 11:28 PM
Super Moderator

Texas rocks. I hear the bluebonnets are blooming.

~Amy

My son made this for me:
Old 03-13-2009, 11:49 PM
Stump Rules!

You want Blue Bonnets Amy? I give you Blue Bonnets!

How was that?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRN
Texas rocks. I hear the bluebonnets are blooming.

~Amy

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 03-13-2009, 11:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHughesRocks
You want Blue Bonnets Amy? I give you Blue Bonnets!

How was that?!

I love you Michelle. No homo

~Amy

My son made this for me: