Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 07-14-2011, 04:50 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default Dana White says Machida backed out after agreeing to fight Rashad at UFC 133

From MMATorch.com:

Quote:
There's a reason there were a lot of reports yesterday stating that Lyoto Machida had agreed to step up against Rashad Evans at UFC 133 when Phil Davis was injured: it's because he did.

Now that Tito Ortiz has stepped up to take the fight and the UFC's scramble to find Evans an opponent is over, UFC President Dana White says that Machida backed out after initially agreeing to take the fight.

"Machida accepted the fight," White said in an interview with MMAjunkie.com. "We knew for a couple days this was going down, and Machida accepted the fight. Then when we called back and said, 'OK, we're going to make this fight,' Machida's people came back and said, 'We'll tell you what. You pay us what you pay Anderson Silva, and we'll take the fight.' This was after they had already agreed to take the fight.

"I said, 'Are you [expletive] kidding me? I'll tell you what. You tell Machida he achieves what [expletive] Anderson Silva has achieved, then maybe he'll make Anderson Silva money. Have a nice day.'"

White said Machida's camp wasn't worried about the matchup or the short notice of the fight initially, but then they changed their mind when he called to confirm the agreement.

"They said, 'Machida will fly out there tomorrow if you pay him what you pay Anderson Silva,'" White said. "They said they do the deal, then I call back to make it and [that's] what they said."

White said that Ortiz came back into the picture shortly after initially denying the fight, and said that with his win over Ryan Bader at UFC 132 Ortiz now finds himself an upset win over Evans away from being back in the veritable "mix."

"Tito turned it down, and then Tito called back and said, 'Did you get the fight yet?'" White said. "I said, 'Nope.' He goes, 'Let me think about it. Let me talk to my team, and I'll call you back tomorrow.' This was Tuesday night. I think it's a big fight for Tito. I think he's got a lot of momentum after winning that last fight. Evans was in line for a shot. Tito is now fighting a guy he went to a draw with and who hasn't fought in a year-and-a-half."

"Tito stepped up to the plate. It's [expletive] weird here. It's like I'm dealing with a new person. I like it. I like the new Tito. The storyline is what's so interesting. Tito went from 'You're about to be cut,' to now, if he beats Rashad Evans, he's back in the mix. He's back in the picture."

Link to Original Source Article

Penick's Analysis: Machida attempted to use leverage against the UFC for more money and it failed, mainly because he didn't use it right away. Had Machida's camp right away said, "we need this much money to step up on such short notice" it might have been one thing, but if they initially agreed and then reneged to get more money, then that was a big mistake on their part and won't do them any favors with UFC brass. As for Ortiz, he bought himself a lot more good will with the UFC and with Dana White, and now has a chance to quickly make this massive turnaround from winless in five to possibly right back into the title picture with a win over the top contender in Evans. This is a huge fight for him, and even if he loses he's not going to lose much because of the short notice and stepping in to save a main event. Ultimately, it's an easier sell than Evans-Davis, and the rematch factor and late notice aspect of this could lead to a bigger event overall.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:12 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

From MMAFighting.com:

Quote:
Dana White: Lyoto Machida Demanded More Money, Tito Ortiz Didn't

UFC President Dana White said on Thursday that the reason Tito Ortiz -- rather than Lyoto Machida -- is fighting Rashad Evans at UFC 133 is simple: Machida demanded a pay raise to take the fight, while Ortiz was willing to take the fight without renegotiating his contract first.

White sounded upset about his dealings with Machida, saying that Machida has been asking for a fight and initially agreed to take on Evans, but that his representatives later came back to White and told him Machida would only take the fight if he got a pay raise to pay him as much money as UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva makes.

"Lyoto Machida has been terrorizing me for a long time for a fight and saying he wanted a fight," White said, adding that when he first proposed the Evans bout to Machida, "He accepted the fight."

But when White talked to Machida's management, he was told, "If you pay us Anderson Silva money we'll take this fight."

"I opted not to pay him Anderson Silva money and told him, 'When you accomplish all the things Anderson Silva has accomplished, we'll pay you Anderson Silva money.'"

"Lots of crazy things happen in this business," White said. "Usually when stuff like that happens you know the guys it's going to happen with ... I did not expect that from Lyoto Machida."

Ortiz, however, was willing to fight Evans without any negotiation.

"Tito did not ask for any more money," White said. "People were asking, 'Did he go for more money?' Tito didn't get any more money. He didn't get anything. He had the same deal, a regular fight, we called him up and said, 'Tito, this is your next fight.'"

If Ortiz could do the unthinkable and follow his upset victory over Ryan Bader with an upset of Evans, White says Ortiz could be close to challenging for the light heavyweight belt, eight years after he lost that belt to Randy Couture.

"Tito is stepping up and he's taking a big fight on short notice, and I respect that," White said. "It would definitely put Tito in the mix. I wouldn't say he's necessarily the No. 1 contender after this fight, but he's Top 3."
Old 07-15-2011, 06:25 PM
rearnakedchoke

machida is a punk ... why do people screw with dana .... he always gets the last laugh ... LOL
Old 07-23-2011, 08:06 AM
atomdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
machida is a punk ... why do people screw with dana .... he always gets the last laugh ... LOL

Why is he a punk?

You want someone to work on short notice, you pay extra.

They gave Cro Cop a cool million to fight Mir.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
I don't think he's a punk for asking for more money; I just think his management went about it the wrong way and they should NEVER have brought Anderson Silva's name into it! Stupid missteps by them all the way around! And from what I've seen of Dana, he's like an elephant--never forgets!
Old 07-23-2011, 07:00 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Next time Dana calls, Machida should tell him he wants Mayweather/Pacquiao money.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Next time Dana calls, Machida should tell him he wants Mayweather/Pacquiao money.

Which do you think will happen first...Mayweather/Pacquiao, DW calls Machida, or hell freezing over?

Old 07-23-2011, 08:00 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post

Which do you think will happen first...Mayweather/Pacquiao, DW calls Machida, or hell freezing over?

I honestly still think Mayweather/Pacquiao will happen, and hopefully in 2012. That is of course providing that they both win their next fights.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
I don't think he's a punk for asking for more money; I just think his management went about it the wrong way and they should NEVER have brought Anderson Silva's name into it! Stupid missteps by them all the way around! And from what I've seen of Dana, he's like an elephant--never forgets!
I totally agree. I don't blame Lyoto for asking for more $$ but his team DID go about it the wrong way. I also got a good laugh out of this:

Quote:
"Tito stepped up to the plate. It's [expletive] weird here. It's like I'm dealing with a new person. I like it. I like the new Tito. The storyline is what's so interesting. Tito went from 'You're about to be cut,' to now, if he beats Rashad Evans, he's back in the mix. He's back in the picture."
Whatever, Dana! Or rather, whatever brings in the $$. Don't get me wrong, I like Dana a lot and will always be grateful to him for making the UFC such a success. But now he "likes the new Tito"? Wait until Tito backs out, then we'll see how much Dana likes him...

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 07-23-2011, 09:33 PM

Quote:
If Ortiz could do the unthinkable and follow his upset victory over Ryan Bader with an upset of Evans, White says Ortiz could be close to challenging for the light heavyweight belt, eight years after he lost that belt to Randy Couture.
Tito fighting Bader is one thing but JBJ?

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16