Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Old 07-12-2011, 08:27 PM
BamaGrits84

Default Obama: seniors could be hurt without debt deal

http://news.yahoo.com/obama-lawmaker...045247357.html

Our president is a coward. He is really using fear over elderly and disabled people to get his way? Why does social security have to be the first thing he threatens will be effected? Why not let the thousands of special interest groups funded by tax dollars get a close up shop notice? Of if social security needs to be cute how about looking at the hundreds of thousands getting disability for BS reasons? Oh my kid has ADHA so I need a check (that I'll use to get my nails and hair done when what I need to spend it on is a belt to tear my child butt up.). Oh I'm fat so my back and knees hurt and I can't work so I need a check (that's I'll use to eat out with and buy pain pills illegally with when what I really need is a gym membership). How about reforming who gets social security? NO WAY - THAT DOESN'T GET VOTES!

As for elderly, my father in law just got to the age where he can draw social security. He has paid in a quater of a mil, which is matched by his employer, so half a mil paid in. Based on his monthy amount received he likely won't live to even draw a tenth of that. Social security is a crappy system that needs to fail anyways.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:46 PM

He's lying. There are enough revenues coming in every day to cover military pay, social security, medicare, and other crucial checks that need to go out the first part of August. Failure to raise the debt ceiling means they can't borrow more, it won't affect revenues already collected (and continuing to be collected). It will have an impact eventually on Soc. Sec. etc., if the debt isn't reduced by spending cuts - deep spending cuts. Obama is very clever to try to frighten the old folks but he will eventually cave. Then he needs to come up with a budget which has been LONG OVERDUE.

Thankfully, he will be out of office in 18 months before he can wreak more havoc on our country.

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 07-12-2011, 10:34 PM
Administrator

They need to kill Social Security now. Stop paying out new benefits and everyone who has paid into the system should get all that money back. In other words, each citizen pays zero federal income taxes until every single penny that we've paid into Social Security is reimbursed to us.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
They need to kill Social Security now. Stop paying out new benefits and everyone who has paid into the system should get all that money back. In other words, each citizen pays zero federal income taxes until every single penny that we've paid into Social Security is reimbursed to us.
That's an interesting idea but it's never going to happen. Social security wouldn't be such a failure if our government hadn't spent the money contributed to the program on other things and we should long ago have eliminated social security payments to those who make, say, $250,000 a year (just pulling that figure out of my hat) - they do not need it. This program was originally designed to help us fill the gaps in our retirement income and has morphed into a behemoth rank with corruption, waste, incompetency and fraud (as is the case with most government-run businesses.)

In trying to understand our economic crisis and this debt ceiling business, most economists I've listened to without an agenda seem to think this continual raising of the debt ceiling must stop now, that we've been unaccountable in our spending and debt for too long - BOTH parties.

Raising taxes will not stimulate the economy. It is a proven fact that reducing the tax burden does. The dems love playing to class warfare - punish those that succeed. This talk about paying "their fair share" is a joke, what exactly IS that "fair share"?

The repubs have their issues as well but I'm totally on board with deregulating businesses, cutting taxes and slashing entitlements and the budgets of govt. departments (or eliminating them entirely, I just don't think that is going to happen).

Old 07-12-2011, 11:31 PM
Administrator

I think the government should start giving people the chance to opt out of Social Security. The system is going to collapse long before I reach retirement age so why should I be required to continue paying into it? They wouldn't have to give back all of the money, maybe just a percentage of it. Personally, I'd be willing to cut my losses as far as SS goes if they would just stop taking the money out of my future paychecks.

Plus, those people who currently rely on Social Security to survive really should start looking for another means of income. However, if you've put yourself in the position where you rely solely on the federal government to survive, then you really have no one to blame but yourself when this kind of thing happens.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:31 AM

Oh, you're a hard-hearted man!

But I agree with you on letting people opt out of social security. Problem is, you are paying for those who are drawing ss since the gov't long ago spent the money they paid in. So the pols don't want to let anyone opt out.

It's a vicious cycle but someone has to start being realistic about making changes. People are going to lose out, I say we start by cutting off social security payments to those retired folks who have a good income without it.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:43 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
Oh, you're a hard-hearted man!
Just a realistic one. To place your welfare entirely in the hands of the federal government is nothing short of pure stupidity. Especially when a liar like Obama will hold it ransom to further his own political agenda.

What's interesting is that, even though Obama claims that he can't guarantee Social Security checks get sent out and he can't guarantee that the military gets paid, guess who will still be getting paid? Hamas and Planned Parenthood can both be assured that the federal government will continue to send them hundreds of millions of our tax dollars.

So, Obama is supporting a terrorist group like Hamas at the expense of the American people... isn't that treason?