Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 07-13-2011, 03:50 AM
Rev

Default Davis is out vs. Evans?

According to Yahoo, Phill is hurt and wont fight. Anyone know anything?
Old 07-13-2011, 12:17 PM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

From MMA Mania

Quote:
Breaking news for UFC 133 ... and it's bad.

Phil Davis has reportedly suffered a knee injury in training and has pulled out of his fight against Rashad Evans, which was scheduled for Aug. 6, 2011, at the Wells Fargo Arena in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

No word yet on a replacement for Davis or if UFC 133 will get a new main event altogether but the new plan for the headliner of the promotion's return to "The City of Brotherly Love" is expected to be announced soon.

MMAFighting.com brought word of the change just a short time ago.

Davis was given a shot at Evans thanks to an injury that forced a cancellation of the originally planned light heavyweight title fight pitting "Suga" vs. Jon Jones.

It represented a major step up in competition for one of the most promising prospects on the UFC roster but alas, it is not to be. The question now becomes -- is there sufficient time to find Evans a new, worthy opponent by Aug. 6?

The highest ranked light heavyweight currently without a fight booking is Lyoto Machida, who blasted Evans back at UFC 98 to win the 205-pound strap. Rematch, anyone?

There is another name out there who is without an opponent -- Tito Ortiz. That would also be a rematch of a fight that went to a draw back at UFC 73. Up for it?

Stay tuned to MMAmania.com for future updates to this developing story.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:20 PM

I would love to see Lyoto beat down Rashad again....

but.. now with Phil out.. depneding on where Jones is at.. it's time to make that fight...

But if Lyoto and Rashad go at it.. and Lyoto wins.. I want to see Lyoto/Jones... THAT will be a GREAT fight.. and I don't know that Lyoto will not be caught by a Jones blitz....
Old 07-13-2011, 12:23 PM

OH YES!!!!!!!!!!!! Happy Days!!!!!

Quote:
Phil Davis suffered a knee injury in training that forced him out of his upcoming bout against Rashad Evans, which was scheduled to go down at UFC 133 on Aug. 6 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

Thankfully, Brazil is just a phone call away.

Lyoto Machida has reportedly answered the call to step in for the ailing "Mr. Wonderful," on just three weeks notice, and will rematch Evans in "The City of Brotherly Love."

HeadKickLegend.com brought word of the replacement shortly after it was revealed that the UFC 133 main event was in peril.

The first time these two met was back in May 2009 when Evans was the light heavyweight champion and Machida was the unbeatable, elusive Karate master.

And as promised, the always dangerous Brazilian boxed up and battered "Suga," knocking him out in the second round to usher in what Joe Rogan called "The Machida Era." While that call turned out to be premature, the memory of that night is still surely fresh on the mind of Evans, especially since it represents his only career defeat.

Payback time in Philly?
Old 07-13-2011, 03:55 PM
rearnakedchoke

this is what happens when you turn down a fight on dana .. first rashad gets a fight that really has no win in it for him except knocking off ring rust, than he gets screwed by getting skipped over for rampage, than gets the only guy who has ever beat him as a replacement .. and he did it to himself .. i still think he beats machida though in the rematch and gets the winner of rampage/jones
Old 07-13-2011, 04:16 PM
Miss Foxy

This matchup just plainly sucks!! I am wondering why Ortiz turned the fight down. I hope it's not baby mama drama if it is he can kiss all his recent accomplishments goodbye.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:26 PM
philips4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Foxy View Post
This matchup just plainly sucks!! I am wondering why Ortiz turned the fight down. I hope it's not baby mama drama if it is he can kiss all his recent accomplishments goodbye.
He said one reason was because it was on short notice and he likes to peak at a certain time aimed at training for a certain opponent, three weeks just wasn't a smart move and I agree on that, however, I think he turned it down because he knew he would loose!
Old 07-13-2011, 04:28 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by philips4 View Post
He said one reason was because it was on short notice and he likes to peak at a certain time aimed at training for a certain opponent, three weeks just wasn't a smart move and I agree on that, however, I think he turned it down because he knew he would loose!
Thanks for the info..
I read his tweet last night, but it sounded so emotional I was too tired to decode the meaning.. I don't think he would have lost. I have been following his training and he had a good camp and was away from the idiot of course that didn't stop her she still managed to cause drama lol.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:33 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Lyoto Machida Rejects UFC 133 Bout with Rashad Evans

Quote:
Multiple published reports from Brazilian news organizations suggest that UFC 133 headliner Rashad Evans is still without an opponent after Lyoto Machida declined the opportunity to fight at the Aug. 6 event on short notice.

Both Esporte and Clic RBS quoted Machida's wife Fabyola, who said that the former UFC light-heavyweight champion had decided against facing Evans with less than four weeks to prepare.

Unless Machida changes his mind, he'll be the second high-profile fighter to turn down the main event bout. Tito Ortiz also rejected a chance to step in for the injured Phil Davis.

Either fight would have been a rematch of a previous bout.

Ortiz and Evans fought at UFC 73 in July 2007, with the pair fighting to a draw. At the time, it was Evans' first step up to top-level competition. By the time he and Machida fought at UFC 98, he was the newly crowned champion. But Machida ended his reign before a successful title defense, knocking him out in the second round.

Because of his previous win over Machida, it was thought that he would be more likely to accept the fight, but it turns out that time worked against the possibility.

"He decided he would not be able to prepare in just three weeks," his wife Fabyola told Esporte. "It was very short notice and has a number of factors that need to be analyzed. So he decided he will not fight."

With that, the hunt for a replacement continues.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:06 PM
kevint13

They are probably going to have to get someone already on the card, so that would be the following:

- Rich Franklin
- Lil Nog
- The Janitor

My guess is it will be the Janitor being that Rich/Lil Nog is the co-main event.