Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Training/Nutrition

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 03-26-2009, 03:34 AM
Miss Foxy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose
*BUMP*
I had the first workout today. I already eat as healthy or a little healthier (due to pescotarianism) than the program.

At Thanksgiving, I weighed 272 lbs. Yes. Big Boy. Now as of this morning I weigh 238 lbs. My cardio is really good for my size and it's getting better. Now I look forward to the strength increase, PLUS, I'd love to increase my metabolism.

Question: What does the Flaxseed/Fish Oil do for you at night? Thanks.
Thats so good to hear about your weight loss!! Must feel good!! Your friend over here is gaining weight Its a long story but yeah keep it up!!! Yaaay!!!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-26-2009, 04:27 AM
mscomc
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose
*BUMP*
I had the first workout today. I already eat as healthy or a little healthier (due to pescotarianism) than the program.

At Thanksgiving, I weighed 272 lbs. Yes. Big Boy. Now as of this morning I weigh 238 lbs. My cardio is really good for my size and it's getting better. Now I look forward to the strength increase, PLUS, I'd love to increase my metabolism.

Question: What does the Flaxseed/Fish Oil do for you at night? Thanks.


Hey man, names malcom, nice to meet you .

If its ok with you, I think I shed some light on flaxseed and fish oil for you.
So the Fish Oil supplements you probably hear about are important because they belong to a group of fatty acids called the omega-3 Fatty acids, they are very important in diet because an omega-3 fatty acid serves a precursor in biosynthesis to other important acids in the body, like EPA (it can help with mood) and DHA (can prevent neuro-degenerative problems like Alzheimers).... but what is thought to be most important is that.... the constituents of omega-3 are beleived to help lower cholesterol and lower trigylcerides as well. The constituents of the acids activate the "PPAR-alpha" receptor in your cells which stimulates the cellular organelle know as the "peroxisome", to break down long chains of fat (that we cant help but ingest).... and all of this is important because as humans, we CANT make omega 3 fatty acids, so we have to eat it.

Flaxseed is most popular because it has a lot of fiber, which of course helps us... well....defacate ( ). Plus, fiber has been shown to help lower elevated blood sugar....and remember, if you have elevated blood sugar,your body is going to use that for energy before it uses fat... and our blood sugar ususally spikes in the night...so it can help with that. Geeze, sorry for all this writing..... i gotta learn to stop.


Anways, nice to meet you... take care.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-26-2009, 05:14 PM
Moose
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa Villaseņor
Thats so good to hear about your weight loss!! Must feel good!! Your friend over here is gaining weight Its a long story but yeah keep it up!!! Yaaay!!!


It does feel good. I've always been moderately active, just with a soft body. Changing that now, for sure. It does feel good to go out on a nice day and run a couple of miles. Melissa, you make me crack up every single time you post, I like having you around.

And Malcom, thanks for the stuff on Omega 3's. I understand a lot about them because I only eat fish. I had to learn a healthy balance between 3's and 6's. Too many 6's can inflame your heart, which is nasty business.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-27-2009, 01:33 AM
mscomc
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose


It does feel good. I've always been moderately active, just with a soft body. Changing that now, for sure. It does feel good to go out on a nice day and run a couple of miles. Melissa, you make me crack up every single time you post, I like having you around.

And Malcom, thanks for the stuff on Omega 3's. I understand a lot about them because I only eat fish. I had to learn a healthy balance between 3's and 6's. Too many 6's can inflame your heart, which is nasty business.

glad if i can help in anyway...
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-27-2009, 01:36 AM
rockdawg21's Avatar
rockdawg21 rockdawg21 is offline
I'm kind of a big deal
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 5,584
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose
*BUMP*
I had the first workout today. I already eat as healthy or a little healthier (due to pescotarianism) than the program.

At Thanksgiving, I weighed 272 lbs. Yes. Big Boy. Now as of this morning I weigh 238 lbs. My cardio is really good for my size and it's getting better. Now I look forward to the strength increase, PLUS, I'd love to increase my metabolism.

Question: What does the Flaxseed/Fish Oil do for you at night? Thanks.
Nice work, it's a pain to lose weight, but you feel much better once it's off.

Prior to sleep (30 minutes or so), it's desirable to have a slow-digesting protein so that you get a release of aminos into your bloodstream - this helps prevent catabolism while you're getting your 8 hours of sleep. Casein powder or cottage cheese is one of the best forms of protein for this purpose. Add a little flaxseed oil to it, and it will slow the digestion rate of the casein/cottage cheese while you're sleeping.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 03-27-2009, 01:38 AM
rockdawg21's Avatar
rockdawg21 rockdawg21 is offline
I'm kind of a big deal
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 5,584
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose


It does feel good. I've always been moderately active, just with a soft body. Changing that now, for sure. It does feel good to go out on a nice day and run a couple of miles. Melissa, you make me crack up every single time you post, I like having you around.

And Malcom, thanks for the stuff on Omega 3's. I understand a lot about them because I only eat fish. I had to learn a healthy balance between 3's and 6's. Too many 6's can inflame your heart, which is nasty business.
I wouldn't worry about that too much. If you're a hard-training athlete, your body is going to use those nutrients anyways. Most studies that are done regarding health issues (sodium, fats, cholesterol, etc.) are not conduction on athletes, but sedentary individuals.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-27-2009, 01:52 AM
Moose
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21
Nice work, it's a pain to lose weight, but you feel much better once it's off.

Prior to sleep (30 minutes or so), it's desirable to have a slow-digesting protein so that you get a release of aminos into your bloodstream - this helps prevent catabolism while you're getting your 8 hours of sleep. Casein powder or cottage cheese is one of the best forms of protein for this purpose. Add a little flaxseed oil to it, and it will slow the digestion rate of the casein/cottage cheese while you're sleeping.
Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for. You have any idea what to use in place of cottage cheese, I'm a bit intolerant of lactose.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-27-2009, 02:06 AM
mscomc
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose
Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for. You have any idea what to use in place of cottage cheese, I'm a bit intolerant of lactose.

Hey again bro....sorry for my last post man, i guess I misunderstood what you meant.

So If i get this right, you are looking to preserve muscle mass from catabolsim during sleep?

If you dont like the cottage cheese due to lactose and i guess the same problem may persist form casien powders like muscle milk... you could take amino acid supplements before bed.... specifically Alanine and Glutamate (the precursor for Glutamine)

See, when your blood sugar gets low, muscle can get broken down and get used in gluconeogenesis. two amino acids that are predominantly used are Alanine and Glutmate.... thus by taking exogenous supplements of this, you can reverse this equilibrium process. Just an idea.... happy lifting

take care
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-27-2009, 02:59 AM
Moose
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscomc
Hey again bro....sorry for my last post man, i guess I misunderstood what you meant.

So If i get this right, you are looking to preserve muscle mass from catabolsim during sleep?

If you dont like the cottage cheese due to lactose and i guess the same problem may persist form casien powders like muscle milk... you could take amino acid supplements before bed.... specifically Alanine and Glutamate (the precursor for Glutamine)

See, when your blood sugar gets low, muscle can get broken down and get used in gluconeogenesis. two amino acids that are predominantly used are Alanine and Glutmate.... thus by taking exogenous supplements of this, you can reverse this equilibrium process. Just an idea.... happy lifting

take care
I'll try cottage cheese, we'll see how that goes. I haven't had problems with intolerance in a long time, and I like rice milk a lot better.

You guys are an encyclopedia of awesome ideas, thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 03-27-2009, 03:03 AM
mscomc
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose
I'll try cottage cheese, we'll see how that goes. I haven't had problems with intolerance in a long time, and I like rice milk a lot better.

You guys are an encyclopedia of awesome ideas, thanks a lot!


oooo i messed up again didnt I? dag nammit, that 0/2 ....sorry home slice
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.