Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Training/Nutrition

Old 03-26-2009, 03:34 AM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose
*BUMP*
I had the first workout today. I already eat as healthy or a little healthier (due to pescotarianism) than the program.

At Thanksgiving, I weighed 272 lbs. Yes. Big Boy. Now as of this morning I weigh 238 lbs. My cardio is really good for my size and it's getting better. Now I look forward to the strength increase, PLUS, I'd love to increase my metabolism.

Question: What does the Flaxseed/Fish Oil do for you at night? Thanks.
Thats so good to hear about your weight loss!! Must feel good!! Your friend over here is gaining weight Its a long story but yeah keep it up!!! Yaaay!!!
Old 03-26-2009, 04:27 AM
mscomc

Quote:
*BUMP*
I had the first workout today. I already eat as healthy or a little healthier (due to pescotarianism) than the program.

At Thanksgiving, I weighed 272 lbs. Yes. Big Boy. Now as of this morning I weigh 238 lbs. My cardio is really good for my size and it's getting better. Now I look forward to the strength increase, PLUS, I'd love to increase my metabolism.

Hey man, names malcom, nice to meet you .

If its ok with you, I think I shed some light on flaxseed and fish oil for you.
So the Fish Oil supplements you probably hear about are important because they belong to a group of fatty acids called the omega-3 Fatty acids, they are very important in diet because an omega-3 fatty acid serves a precursor in biosynthesis to other important acids in the body, like EPA (it can help with mood) and DHA (can prevent neuro-degenerative problems like Alzheimers).... but what is thought to be most important is that.... the constituents of omega-3 are beleived to help lower cholesterol and lower trigylcerides as well. The constituents of the acids activate the "PPAR-alpha" receptor in your cells which stimulates the cellular organelle know as the "peroxisome", to break down long chains of fat (that we cant help but ingest).... and all of this is important because as humans, we CANT make omega 3 fatty acids, so we have to eat it.

Flaxseed is most popular because it has a lot of fiber, which of course helps us... well....defacate ( ). Plus, fiber has been shown to help lower elevated blood sugar....and remember, if you have elevated blood sugar,your body is going to use that for energy before it uses fat... and our blood sugar ususally spikes in the night...so it can help with that. Geeze, sorry for all this writing..... i gotta learn to stop.

Anways, nice to meet you... take care.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:14 PM
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa Villaseņor
Thats so good to hear about your weight loss!! Must feel good!! Your friend over here is gaining weight Its a long story but yeah keep it up!!! Yaaay!!!

It does feel good. I've always been moderately active, just with a soft body. Changing that now, for sure. It does feel good to go out on a nice day and run a couple of miles. Melissa, you make me crack up every single time you post, I like having you around.

And Malcom, thanks for the stuff on Omega 3's. I understand a lot about them because I only eat fish. I had to learn a healthy balance between 3's and 6's. Too many 6's can inflame your heart, which is nasty business.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:33 AM
mscomc

Quote:

It does feel good. I've always been moderately active, just with a soft body. Changing that now, for sure. It does feel good to go out on a nice day and run a couple of miles. Melissa, you make me crack up every single time you post, I like having you around.

And Malcom, thanks for the stuff on Omega 3's. I understand a lot about them because I only eat fish. I had to learn a healthy balance between 3's and 6's. Too many 6's can inflame your heart, which is nasty business.

glad if i can help in anyway...
Old 03-27-2009, 01:36 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
*BUMP*

Nice work, it's a pain to lose weight, but you feel much better once it's off.

Prior to sleep (30 minutes or so), it's desirable to have a slow-digesting protein so that you get a release of aminos into your bloodstream - this helps prevent catabolism while you're getting your 8 hours of sleep. Casein powder or cottage cheese is one of the best forms of protein for this purpose. Add a little flaxseed oil to it, and it will slow the digestion rate of the casein/cottage cheese while you're sleeping.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:38 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:

I wouldn't worry about that too much. If you're a hard-training athlete, your body is going to use those nutrients anyways. Most studies that are done regarding health issues (sodium, fats, cholesterol, etc.) are not conduction on athletes, but sedentary individuals.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:52 AM
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21
Nice work, it's a pain to lose weight, but you feel much better once it's off.

Prior to sleep (30 minutes or so), it's desirable to have a slow-digesting protein so that you get a release of aminos into your bloodstream - this helps prevent catabolism while you're getting your 8 hours of sleep. Casein powder or cottage cheese is one of the best forms of protein for this purpose. Add a little flaxseed oil to it, and it will slow the digestion rate of the casein/cottage cheese while you're sleeping.
Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for. You have any idea what to use in place of cottage cheese, I'm a bit intolerant of lactose.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:06 AM
mscomc

Quote:
Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for. You have any idea what to use in place of cottage cheese, I'm a bit intolerant of lactose.

Hey again bro....sorry for my last post man, i guess I misunderstood what you meant.

So If i get this right, you are looking to preserve muscle mass from catabolsim during sleep?

If you dont like the cottage cheese due to lactose and i guess the same problem may persist form casien powders like muscle milk... you could take amino acid supplements before bed.... specifically Alanine and Glutamate (the precursor for Glutamine)

See, when your blood sugar gets low, muscle can get broken down and get used in gluconeogenesis. two amino acids that are predominantly used are Alanine and Glutmate.... thus by taking exogenous supplements of this, you can reverse this equilibrium process. Just an idea.... happy lifting

take care
Old 03-27-2009, 02:59 AM
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscomc
Hey again bro....sorry for my last post man, i guess I misunderstood what you meant.

So If i get this right, you are looking to preserve muscle mass from catabolsim during sleep?

If you dont like the cottage cheese due to lactose and i guess the same problem may persist form casien powders like muscle milk... you could take amino acid supplements before bed.... specifically Alanine and Glutamate (the precursor for Glutamine)

See, when your blood sugar gets low, muscle can get broken down and get used in gluconeogenesis. two amino acids that are predominantly used are Alanine and Glutmate.... thus by taking exogenous supplements of this, you can reverse this equilibrium process. Just an idea.... happy lifting

take care
I'll try cottage cheese, we'll see how that goes. I haven't had problems with intolerance in a long time, and I like rice milk a lot better.

You guys are an encyclopedia of awesome ideas, thanks a lot!
Old 03-27-2009, 03:03 AM
mscomc

Quote:
I'll try cottage cheese, we'll see how that goes. I haven't had problems with intolerance in a long time, and I like rice milk a lot better.

You guys are an encyclopedia of awesome ideas, thanks a lot!

oooo i messed up again didnt I? dag nammit, that 0/2 ....sorry home slice