Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 07-08-2011, 02:50 PM
Miss Foxy

Default Rashad on his fans

"I think sometimes that once the fans have their mind made up about you, that's it, and I think a lot of it comes from that Matt Hughes thing (during season two of The Ultimate Fighter), where he said I was cocky and that I like to showboat, and I think that stigma has followed me. No matter what I do, they see my personality as concrete, and there's no changing it for a lot of people. A lot of people are very lazy with their opinions, and once their mind is made up one way, they either refuse or it's very hard for them to go another way. But I take the good with the bad, and the good thing is this - I've never met a fan that didn't like me."The former UFC light-heavyweight champ, Rashad Evans, tells UFC.Com that he is not as hated as many people may like to think.

While it would appear that, based on fan commentary you can find online that Rashad Evans is not the most loved fighter in the MMA landscape, he offers a different perspective on the matter. It should come as no surprise that when approached in person fans are happy to meet the former champion. I would imagine that even some of the very fans that criticize him online would be thrilled to meet the UFC star.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:58 PM
rearnakedchoke

i agree with him for the most part .. and i think it was near the end of TUF that Matt changed his mind about rashad and even cornered him ...... i could be wrong as that was sometime ago ... i just think a lot of it comes from him beating fan favourites like chuck and forrest .. LOL
Old 07-08-2011, 03:16 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
i agree with him for the most part .. and i think it was near the end of TUF that Matt changed his mind about rashad and even cornered him ...... i could be wrong as that was sometime ago ... i just think a lot of it comes from him beating fan favourites like chuck and forrest .. LOL
I just can't ever be his "fan". There are times I do like the guy, but then other times he says something and boom there I go disliking him again. Kinda felt that way with Tito for the longest too. I have love/hate with certain fighters.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:57 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Most people around MMA seem to say that Rashad is one of the nicest guys in the business. I think the stigma of what happened between him and Matt on TUF 2 wore off a while ago with the exception of some longtime, hardcore, fans. While Rashad can definitely talk some smack and showboat a little from time to time, the real reason I think he gained so many haters is simply because of his success after beating Chuck and Forrest back to back, and then later his feud with Rampage.

Everybody loved Chuck, and after Rashad knocked him out, it made it easy to hate Evans for those who were on the fence or barely knew who he was at the time. The same thing can be said about Forrest Griffin. He's a big fan favorite that a lot of fans are very loyal to and beating him is sure to gain you some extra haters in the short term (even Anderson Silva experienced that after his decimation of both Griffin and Rich Franklin twice). Of course Rashad did also gain fans from those events, but this is more specifically about his haters. Still, if a fighter keeps winning like the Silva's and GSP's of the world, even the most die-hard haters are usually forced to break down and give some credit where credit is due. Unfortunately for Rashad, he got knocked out by Machida in a brutal fashion and the zombie like face he made when it happened ended up gaining legendary status amongst fans across the internet. So that knocked him back a few steps.

Then most recently, his feud with Rampage was bound to gain him fans and haters at the same time. Rampage is one of the most popular personalities the sport has ever seen and, like Rashad, most people either love him or hate him. There aren't a whole of people who sit in the middle when it comes to either of those guys. Personally, I like Rashad, and hope to see him to continue to have success. He's been on the shelf for a while now though, and the drama surrounding his departure from Greg Jackson's camp doesn't help much either, so it's tough to say where he truly stands right now until we see him fight Phil Davis next month.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:16 PM
logrus

Naaaaa, I hate Evans cause he's black..

by the way im totally joking, I forgot why I disliked him, i think it was something he said in an interview awhile back, cant remember though.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:25 PM
ufcfan2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Foxy View Post
I just can't ever be his "fan". There are times I do like the guy, but then other times he says something and boom there I go disliking him again. Kinda felt that way with Tito for the longest too. I have love/hate with certain fighters.
About how I would sum it up imo. I'm not a hater or a liker of Rashad. I think hes a good fighter and I think overall a genuine good guy. I'm not a big fan of grandstanding during a fight, but it is what it is....I could careless he beat Chuck or Forrest, I just didn't care for the 'nut grabin' sequence just wasn't a need to do move imo.
Far as Tito,lol well I like Tito I just like him more when I have the mute on when he speaks

I'm still picking Rashad over Davis,though again I have hard time picking someone who's had a long layoff it just doesn't usually work out.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:54 PM
Maldonado136

I still don't know what Rashad has said or done that was so bad to make so many people hate him. The TUF thing was stupid but that was years ago so people should be over that. Rashad is a good dude.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:09 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldonado136 View Post
I still don't know what Rashad has said or done that was so bad to make so many people hate him. The TUF thing was stupid but that was years ago so people should be over that. Rashad is a good dude.
And you also want to work for Nick to eat brownies so that says alot... lol.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:27 PM
Maldonado136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Foxy View Post
And you also want to work for Nick to eat brownies so that says alot... lol.
HAHA that was a joke!!!