I'm kind of a big deal

Default Oh the irony

Moron

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43624650...ife/?gt1=43001
Quote:
NY motorcyclist dies on ride protesting helmet law
Troopers say man would have likely survived if he had been wearing a helmet

updated 7/3/2011 11:59:48 AM ET

ONONDAGA, N.Y. A motorcyclist participating in a protest ride against helmet laws went over his handlebars, hit his head on the pavement and was killed, police said Sunday.

The motorcyclist, 55-year-old Philip A. Contos, likely would have survived the accident if he'd been wearing a helmet, state troopers said.

The accident happened Saturday afternoon in Onondaga, a town in central New York near Syracuse.

Contos was driving a 1983 Harley-Davidson on a helmet protest ride organized by the Onondaga chapter of American Bikers Aimed Towards Education, or ABATE, troopers said. The organization states that it encourages the voluntary use of helmets but opposes mandatory helmet laws.

Contos, of Parish, hit his brakes, and his motorcycle fishtailed and went out of control, flipping him over the handlebars, police said. He was pronounced dead at a hospital.

New York is one of 20 states that require all motorcycle riders to wear helmets. Lobbying by motorcyclist groups has led some states to repeal helmet laws.

A helmet that meets federal standards reduces the wearer's chances of being killed in an accident by more than 40 percent, said safety consultant Jim Hedlund, of the Governors Highway Safety Association.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:21 AM
matthughesfan21

He should have watched Matt's commercial for the Illinois Department of transportation about motorcycle safety
Old 07-04-2011, 09:45 PM

i hate to make light of anyones death but that is so ironic it is almost funny

but honestly, i don't need the government to nanny me..... it is not their job to make me buckle up, wear a helmet, etc.... things that don't affect others, just my own well being..... it's just the principle of the thing

fyi, i always buckle up and i don't wear a helmet cause i don't have a motorcycle but if i did, i would always weear a hlemet
Old 07-04-2011, 11:45 PM

I hate to make light too but the first thing I thought was "Darwin Award".

That said, I don't think helmets should be mandatory. You can't force people to do the right (ie safest) thing. If they choose to live dangerously, they are just helping to "thin the herd", so to speak.

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 07-05-2011, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
I hate to make light too but the first thing I thought was "Darwin Award".

That said, I don't think helmets should be mandatory. You can't force people to do the right (ie safest) thing. If they choose to live dangerously, they are just helping to "thin the herd", so to speak.
I wonder if Chuck would agree and say this falls under "natural selection". Why shouldn't they be made to wear helmets?...we have to wear seat belts. Isn't it all in the name of trying to prevent deaths, or even worse, severe permanent injury in case of an accident?

I can't tell you how many riders I see on the freeway with no helmet. I immediately think about all the times something has flown up into my windshield really hard and cracked it. They are just so vulnerable...

Last edited by Bonnie; 07-05-2011 at 06:16 AM.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
I wonder if Chuck would agree and say this falls under "natural selection". Why shouldn't they be made to wear helmets?...we have to wear seat belts. Isn't it all in the name of trying to prevent deaths, or even worse, permanent severe injury in case of an accident?

I can't tell you how many riders I see on the freeway with no helmet. I immediately think about all the times something has flown up into my windshield really hard and cracked it. They are just so vulnerable...
Bonnie, I guess I feel we've gone overboard with trying to legislate people into safety. We give common sense no credence anymore. Just look at the ridiculous labels that are required by law to be printed on every item manufactured in the USA. One of the first that comes to mind is that little packet that is put in jars of nuts or jerky to keep the contents dry. Priinted on it is "do not eat".

I am all for legislating safety that benefits the public, food standards, driving tests, etc. but when it comes to individual safety - such as motorcycle helmets and seatbelts, I don't think it should be a law. People with a sense of preservation will use seatbelts and wear a helmet. But those who don't want to protect themselves...well, have at it. I don't believe in the goverment being "Big Brother" and legislating in every area of our lives - whether
they feel it's for our own good or not. I was halfway joking about thinning the herd...but only halfway. I mean, the gov't even wants to limit what we can eat; hence the new regulations to list calorie counts at McDs, etc. Do they really think that will stop a chubby person from having a quarter pounder and fries? lol. All it does is cost the business owner more money, which they will pass on to the customer. Great idea, that!!

Many that thrive on thrillseeking don't live long lives. It's their choice. As long as they aren't hurting other people, I think it's their right as a free human being.

Last edited by flo; 07-05-2011 at 03:09 AM.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
Bonnie, I guess I feel we've gone overboard with trying to legislate people into safety. We give common sense no credence anymore. Just look at the ridiculous labels that are required by law to be printed on every item manufactured in the USA. One of the first that comes to mind is that little packet that is put in jars of nuts or jerky to keep the contents dry. Priinted on it is "do not eat".

I am all for legislating safety that benefits the public, food standards, driving tests, etc. but when it comes to individual safety - such as motorcycle helmets and seatbelts, I don't think it should be a law. People with a sense of preservation will use seatbelts and wear a helmet. But those who don't want to protect themselves...well, have at it. I don't believe in the goverment being "Big Brother" and legislating in every area of our lives - whether
they feel it's for our own good or not. I was halfway joking about thinning the herd...but only halfway. I mean, the gov't even wants to limit what we can eat; hence the new regulations to list calorie counts at McDs, etc. Do they really think that will stop a chubby person from having a quarter pounder and fries? lol. All it does is cost the business owner more money, which they will pass on to the customer. Great idea, that!!

Many that thrive on thrillseeking don't live long lives. It's their choice. As long as they aren't hurting other people, I think it's their right as a free human being.
Well, that "do not eat" and other similar type labels are probably there more for the product manufacturers, to cover their butts, in this sue-happy world.

I understand what you're saying and agree for the most part.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:35 AM
County Mike

I think riding without a helmet is dumb, but it should be up to the rider to decide. However, a helmetless rider shouldn't expect anyone else to pick up the hospital bill if he is injured because he chose not to wear one.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
I think riding without a helmet is dumb, but it should be up to the rider to decide. However, a helmetless rider shouldn't expect anyone else to pick up the hospital bill if he is injured because he chose not to wear one.
no one should ever expect someone else to pick up the medical tab, thats just another stupid thing our government is into

we have to wear seatbelts helmets and such, but there is still no real law to prevent stupid drunks from killing others on the road.... its ridiculous.... texting is still a big deal as well, that stuff hurts others, not wearing seat belts or helmets doesn't

the government needs to get things in order,,,,, crack down on things that people do that hurt others and stop trying to dictate and micromanage individuals, what's next saying i can't let my kids play in the rain, or ride on the tractor with me or saying i can't let them swim in a pool or go outside barefoot,
Old 07-05-2011, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
Yes, it's their responsibility. Personal responsibility is slowly becoming a thing of the past, in part thanks to our lawsuit-crazed populace, absent parents, etc., but that's another topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamt View Post
no one should ever expect someone else to pick up the medical tab, thats just another stupid thing our government is into

we have to wear seatbelts helmets and such, but there is still no real law to prevent stupid drunks from killing others on the road.... its ridiculous.... texting is still a big deal as well, that stuff hurts others, not wearing seat belts or helmets doesn't

the government needs to get things in order,,,,, crack down on things that people do that hurt others and stop trying to dictate and micromanage individuals, what's next saying i can't let my kids play in the rain, or ride on the tractor with me or saying i can't let them swim in a pool or go outside barefoot,
OMG, you let your kids go out BAREFOOT?!?

J/K Adam, I couldn't agree more.