Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 06-30-2011, 04:10 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default BJ Penn was to revitalize MMA

Quote:
After UFC 112, I had this idea of getting a little kid to walk around Hollywood with a laptop and record reaction's to the BJ Penn vs. Frank Edgar bout. It would have been a mixture of Wonder Showzen and an attempt at legit journalism. The project was scrapped when I realized the chances of Chris Hansen knocking at my door would have increased dramatically. The last thing I need to be responsible for the future development of the youth today. Leave that to people like my seventh grade junior high school teacher who made it a staple to choke-out 'unruly' kids in class until they started crying. It was a different time back then. We didn't need testosterone replacement theory. By the end of junior high, we were all men -- even the women, and we had bruises around our necks to prove it. That's a radical way to guide today's youth, but still not as radical as BJ Penn's suggestions to make MMA more exciting in this video. [Source]
http://middleeasy.com/index.php?opti...:organizations
Old 06-30-2011, 05:11 PM
Maldonado136

We need belts. We need BETTER judges. It's stupid and messed up to say that someone like Junior doesn't deserve a win after beating the crap out of Shane. Fighter's can't just automatically pull a switch in their head and say ok now I'm going to finish this guy. This isn't a video game, these guys are humans and sometimes the finish will come and sometimes it won't. If you think it is just that easy then you have probably never trained a day in your life. Not to mention BJ didn't three of his last four fights so it goes both ways.

Stalling is a totally different story and it sucks. Stalling is when it is obvious that they are not trying their best and THOSE decisions are terrible. The real problem isn't just when a guy goes to a decision, it's the fact that you know they weren't doing their best that is bothersome. Even in wrestling you get penalized for stalling (and I am only using the word even because people like to blame wrestlers even on here despite whose website this belongs to) so I don't see why fighters shouldn't get penalized for it in mma. Also Frankie fight's great fights whether you want to believe that or not. The fans who agree that he should have those fights not count as wins should be forced to fight him themselves.

Last edited by Maldonado136; 06-30-2011 at 08:02 PM.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:43 PM
kevint13

I was reading an article the other day and it was talking about offering more incentives for finishing fights. Since most contracts are based on show, and then a win bonus on top of that along with other bonuses. What was suggested to change the win bonus to be based on a finish and base it off what round, for example:

Round 1 finish = 100% bonus
Round 2 finish = 75%
Round 3 finish = 50%
Decision win = 25%

The point made was that the undercard and fighters making the least amount of money are the ones that are going for it all because they know that winning a FOTN, KO, or Sub bonus would be huge! This idea would hopefully prevent top fighters from doing just enough to win.

I agree that there are fights that are going to go to a decision even when both fighters are giving it their best, the level of competition is not that skewed when you get to the top, in most cases.

I'll try to find the article and post it.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:25 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevint13 View Post
I was reading an article the other day and it was talking about offering more incentives for finishing fights. Since most contracts are based on show, and then a win bonus on top of that along with other bonuses. What was suggested to change the win bonus to be based on a finish and base it off what round, for example:

Round 1 finish = 100% bonus
Round 2 finish = 75%
Round 3 finish = 50%
Decision win = 25%

The point made was that the undercard and fighters making the least amount of money are the ones that are going for it all because they know that winning a FOTN, KO, or Sub bonus would be huge! This idea would hopefully prevent top fighters from doing just enough to win.

I agree that there are fights that are going to go to a decision even when both fighters are giving it their best, the level of competition is not that skewed when you get to the top, in most cases.

I'll try to find the article and post it.
I saw that comment, but agreed with the response to it: why is a 3rd rnd finish worth less than a 1st rnd finish? IMO, it'd make mor esense to break it down this way:

Show: 50%
Win: 25%
Finish: 25%
Old 06-30-2011, 06:46 PM
Dethbob

Pay could be adjusted going into the fight based on a point system, with zero one or two points for a loss decision or finish added up over the last five fights. So a guy who has five decisions in his last five fights (five points) would make less than a guy with three knockouts one loss and one draw (seven points).

This would reward both consistency and spectacularness, if that was a word.