Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 06-29-2011, 01:38 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man View Post
Exactly, if the Bible is not enough evidence for the existence of Heaven, then nothing will be.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:54 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
I would of thought you would of liked it. He is a Baptist preacher from Texas.
But I doubt you would with that negative attitude about it.
I'd be interested in reading the book, because of the fact that he was a Baptist preacher and was initially so reluctant to publish his story; but I don't see myself changing any of my beliefs based on anything he says.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:54 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
Exactly, if the Bible is not enough evidence for the existence of Heaven, then nothing will be.
as Christians though, yes, all we should need is the bible, but even Thomas who was with Jesus had his doubts ... "unless i see the imprint of the nails ... and put my hand in his side .. i will not believe" .... but hey, what do i know .. i just think as a process, if we can see the works of God, it may help people believe .. but, it could be the works of a false god too ... so who knows ..
Old 06-29-2011, 05:26 PM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Quote:
I'd be interested in reading the book, because of the fact that he was a Baptist preacher and was initially so reluctant to publish his story; but I don't see myself changing any of my beliefs based on anything he says.
I don't recall him attempting to change any beliefs.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:08 PM
Maglorius

I just finished reading a similar book called Heaven is For Real by Todd Burpo. It is about his son who went in for emergency appendix surgery and during that time his son colton was taken up to heaven. The neat thing about this story is that the boy never came out and told everyone right away but through things he would say, his parents started to put things together and figured out what had happened. His dad is also pastor so he was really reluctant to go after the story and let his son tell him on his own timing. I am also very skeptical of these stories, but this one seems different. In one of the young boys experiences of heaven is he gets to meet his sister, who was miscarried as a baby. His parents never told him about this as it was quite a traumatic experience for them. So one day as they were driving he blurts out to his mom and dad. I have a sister. They than begin digging into what he was talking about. It is a really good read.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezar View Post
I don't recall him attempting to change any beliefs.
I wanted to ask why Nate assumed the man was trying to change anyone's beliefs, but since I hadn't read the book yet. Luckily you have...
Old 06-29-2011, 07:31 PM
BamaGrits84

I have read it and I also went to an event where he was the guest speaker. I believe him. At first I was skeptical too but I did some research and the guy who started singing in the car and praying over him and the trooper (or was it an emt?) that said "Go ahead but he's dead" both support the story of him coming too. I'll explain below but if you don't want the book spoiled skip the last paragraph.

I was skeptical of the book at first because the bible says anyone who sees the face of God does so in death (Exodus 33:20), however he never claims to see have seen God.

A lot of people have came down hard on the family involved in the book Heaven is for Real saying that the father put his son up to it. I have not read this book but have heard the father on the radio. Why do we doubt that God would provide comfort to someone in such horrible physical conditions?

And I don't see it as "if the Bible isn't good enough". Would you tell thousands of women at a Beth Moore conference that they only need the bible to teach them how to be Godly women?

Scoop on the story 90 Minutes in Heaven. I'm trying to recall this from memory since the book is at my house and I am not. It has been 2 or 3 years since I read it. When the wreck happens and emergency responders arrive they decided Don Piper is dead and cover what is left of his car with a trap until he can be extracted from the car. In the mean time they are working to save the others involved in the wreck and another pastor who have just left the same event pulls over and ask one of the emergency workers if he can go pray for the person in this one car not knowing who it was at that time. So the worker tells him sure but they guy it dead. And I believe more than 1 worker confirmed there was no pulse. So this man leans into an opening and starts praying and singing over Don. After a while Don comes to life and starts to "sing" some words from the song. So there is this man and the emergency workers who support the story. To me the main proof is that Don says he was in so much pain during his recovery that he begged God to take him back to heaven and wishes for a time that he didn't survive. The "taste" of how good heaven is made it easy to want out of this life and back to the perfection heaven offers. That is very real to me.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:36 PM
Maglorius

Why is it, that when ever you do read these types of stories our first sense is to dismiss it and call it false. Do we have the same doubting nature as Thomas did and we will not believe until we are there to see it for ourselves. We don't understand why God would bring a person into heaven for a short time and than send them back here. I think we need to remember as the Psalm 115:3 says "Our God is in the heavens, he does all that he pleases."
Old 06-29-2011, 08:48 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maglorius View Post
Why is it, that when ever you do read these types of stories our first sense is to dismiss it and call it false. Do we have the same doubting nature as Thomas did and we will not believe until we are there to see it for ourselves. We don't understand why God would bring a person into heaven for a short time and than send them back here. I think we need to remember as the Psalm 115:3 says "Our God is in the heavens, he does all that he pleases."
The Bible tells us to test all spirits, because Satan is capable of producing counterfeit miracles. So, we are commanded to be skeptical in this fallen, corrupted world.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:54 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maglorius View Post
Speaking personally, I am skeptical about this sort of thing because so many charlatans over the years have abused our faith for their own personal gains. I have learned to be wary of people proclaiming their unique revelations from the Lord.