Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 06-28-2011, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezar View Post
I have read it. I must admit that I was very skeptical at first.
You say, "at first"...did you change your mind?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris F View Post
I am skeptical. But I have got to meet Mr Piper and his heart seemed to be in the right place and had no intention to mislead or profit from his story.
What makes you skeptical, Chris, especially after meeting the man? Do you not believe people can experience such things when on the edge of life and death?
Old 06-28-2011, 10:11 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
What did you think of the book, Mark?
I liked it alot. It was a little repetitive. I dont know if I believe everything he said... but I liked it.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
I liked it alot. It was a little repetitive. I dont know if I believe everything he said... but I liked it.
I think I will get it then. I find stories/books about near-death experiences to be comforting and inspiring. Especially with all the awful stuff going on every day.

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 06-29-2011, 01:53 AM
Crisco

I'm with PTM on this one
Old 06-29-2011, 03:33 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
Yeah, I saw that.

What I meant was that, like videos of UFO sightings on YouTube, these kinds of books seem to be popping up everywhere. It doesn't meant that there is necessarily any truth to any of these accounts any more than there is truth to those YouTube videos. And it's more than a little disconcerting when people will put more faith in a book like this than in the Bible.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:04 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
I think I will get it then. I find stories/books about near-death experiences to be comforting and inspiring. Especially with all the awful stuff going on every day.
You will not be able to put it down for the first 9 chapters.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:14 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
Yeah, I saw that.

What I meant was that, like videos of UFO sightings on YouTube, these kinds of books seem to be popping up everywhere. It doesn't meant that there is necessarily any truth to any of these accounts any more than there is truth to those YouTube videos. And it's more than a little disconcerting when people will put more faith in a book like this than in the Bible.
I would of thought you would of liked it. He is a Baptist preacher from Texas.
But I doubt you would with that negative attitude about it.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
Yeah, I saw that.

So these things people say they've experienced should not be believed? Are they lying or just confused or what? And could one of you explain the quote Play posted please. Is it talking about charlatans?
Old 06-29-2011, 06:51 AM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
You say, "at first"...did you change your mind?
Well, there was one sentence towards the end of the book that made me change my mind. I am not sure if I believe all that he saw and felt but I think that he believes it. Does that make sense?
Old 06-29-2011, 07:56 AM

Quote:
19 “There was a rich man who was clothed in purple and fine linen and who feasted sumptuously every day. 20 And at his gate was laid a poor man named Lazarus, covered with sores, 21 who desired to be fed with what fell from the rich man's table. Moreover, even the dogs came and licked his sores. 22 The poor man died and was carried by the angels to Abraham's side. [6] The rich man also died and was buried, 23 and in Hades, being in torment, he lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham far off and Lazarus at his side. 24 And he called out, ‘Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus to dip the end of his finger in water and cool my tongue, for I am in anguish in this flame.’ 25 But Abraham said, ‘Child, remember that you in your lifetime received your good things, and Lazarus in like manner bad things; but now he is comforted here, and you are in anguish. 26 And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been fixed, in order that those who would pass from here to you may not be able, and none may cross from there to us.’ 27 And he said, ‘Then I beg you, father, to send him to my father's house— 28 for I have five brothers [7]—so that he may warn them, lest they also come into this place of torment.’ 29 But Abraham said, ‘They have Moses and the Prophets; let them hear them.’ 30 And he said, ‘No, father Abraham, but if someone goes to them from the dead, they will repent.’ 31 He said to him, ‘If they do not hear Moses and the Prophets, neither will they be convinced if someone should rise from the dead.’”